Thread: Alabama Church gets state approved police force

1. Top | #1
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts

Alabama Church gets state approved police force

https://www.npr.org/2019/06/20/73459...7itKMVDTjJE9VI

Maybe they can arrest me for blasphemy?

I wonder if they can discriminate against people in the basis of religion.

SLD

2. Top | #2
    Searching for reality along the long and winding road
    Archived
    Total Posts
    On the plus side, police do not make laws. They are only empowered to enforce laws. Until Alabama passes a law against blasphemy they wouldn't be able to arrest you for blaspheming.

I do wonder why the church thought their security people needed to be 'deputised' though.

bippy

3. Top | #3
    The Sunshine State: The one with Crocs, not Gators
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skepticalbip View Post
    On the plus side, police do not make laws. They are only empowered to enforce laws. Until Alabama passes a law against blasphemy they wouldn't be able to arrest you for blaspheming.
    I don't share your confidence that police will always act in accordance with the law.
    I do wonder why the church thought their security people needed to be 'deputised' though.
    Well, you know what these Christians are like - they are only prevented from rape, murder, and theft by their belief that they are under 24/7 surveillance. And they have a tendency to forgive themselves any acts, no matter how vile, as long as they mumble at the ceiling about how sorry they are.

Such people likely need some strict policing, as they seem unwilling to accept any responsibility for their personal moralities.

4. Top | #4
    Quote Originally Posted by SLD View Post
    https://www.npr.org/2019/06/20/73459...7itKMVDTjJE9VI

Maybe they can arrest me for blasphemy?

I wonder if they can discriminate against people in the basis of religion.

SLD
    That didn't work out so well for Cersei.

5. Top | #5
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    There's already Muslim Community Patrol in New York. Yet, no atheists were screaming about that. Odd, indeed.

6. Top | #6
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I wonder what the liability insurance costs for a police force? There have been some sizable awards for police misconduct in the past years. Most colleges have their own police force, so if this church is as big as a small college, it might make sense. Campus police officers are usually also county Sheriff's Deputies, so scofflaws can't just leave campus and be out of their grasp. It brings up interesting legal issues. Most law enforcement activities involve public property. There's a big difference between a traffic accident on private property and on a public street. What's the enforcement mechanism for a speeding ticket issued on a private street? Does the church have the power to fine someone, or even seize their vehicle for failure to pay?

This reminds me of the discussion that comes up whenever a neighborhood proposes a "Special Law Enforcement Zone." This is a designated area that draws up boundaries and the city places a proposal on the next election ballot. If a majority of residents (make that property owners) vote in favor, a little extra is tacked onto their property taxes, and the police department dedicates extra patrol time to their zone.

So basically, if you don't think you're getting enough protection for your tax dollars, you can pay extra and get the protection you're already paying for.

7. Top | #7
    Formerly Joedad
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I doubt they carry liability insurance. So if something bad happens who does one sue for allowing this to happen, besides the church of course?

And this is Alabama. Tough to win a case against a religious body I would guess.

8. Top | #8
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    They'll sing a different song once Dorian hits 'em. Oh, wait. That was the Trump version.

9. Top | #9
    Super Moderator
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ideologyhunter View Post
    They'll sing a different song once Dorian hits 'em. Oh, wait. That was the Trump version.
    Churches don't like blow jobs, you can't get pregnant that way.