Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Democratic Debate #1

1. Top | #21
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ford View Post
    It was a hot mess, and not in a good way.

I realize this is SOP for politicians, but a lot of it was "thanks for that question, Chuck...now let me not answer it, and instead fall back on the talking points I have rehearsed which sort of address the general topic."

With so many candidates, it came across as early auditions for American Idol, and some of them clearly shouldn't move on to the next round. Beto crashed and burned. Gabbard didn't do herself any favors. Ryan, Delaney, DeBlasio, and Inslee should pack their bags as well. Castro did the best job of answering the "why are you here?" question. I'd give the overall "win" to Warren, with Booker coming in second.

I'm hoping round two will be better. Looking forward to Mayor Pete, who seems to be better at the "ignore the question, here's my stump speech" thing.

For most of these, I feel like Randy Jackson on the aforementioned singing show: "Yo, that's gonna be a no from me, dawg."
    This appears to be a decent way to harmlessly remove the unnecessary candidates. Get us back down to a healthy pairing of about 5 to 8 and then whittle from there: Harris, Warren, Booker, Castro, Sanders, not-Biden.

2. Top | #22
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by southernhybrid View Post
    I tried to watch it. I really did, but I kept falling asleep. I wasn't impressed, but maybe that's just me. I wonder how many American voters were able to watch the entire debate without losing interest. I did record it, so maybe later I'll try to watch it. I'm really an early morning person, so it could be that.....

People on MSNBC are raving about Warren, Castro and Booker, but did either of them say anything that they haven't said before? Well now that I think about it, Castro hasn't really had a chance to say much prior to last night.

10 more tonight. There are two many candidates. I can't wait until the field narrows down to a few.
    I just don't care. I know who the viable candidates are. The remainder are positioning themselves for cabinet seats. Based on what I have read, Booker probably helped himself the most by reminding people, at one point in time, he was a rising star. Now it is do or don't time. Then Warren presented herself extremely well and looked like a good candidate.

3. Top | #23
    Archived
    Total Posts
    At some point in the future, I do hope that the format of the debates will include 1 notable difference---that the participants would be sitting down at a lengthy table in front of an audience, instead of standing behind individual podiums. So much of the latter tends to emphasize and prioritize the theatrics of the debate. While those are (unfortunately) important in terms of political campaigns, there should be a picture that shows that candidates are not trying to be just the best entertainers out there. The Democrats will also take care of business and if that means having everyone sit in a chair and coming across as more professionally-minded, I think it would look better. I would not advocate having all DNC debates formatted that way, but to have some variety and to include that in at least one of them. It is similar to how Congressional hearings are conducted, for example, where congresspeople interview people while everybody is sitting.

4. Top | #24
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I thought Warren was the best of this group. I've always loved her intensity. Castro helped himself.

5. Top | #25
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian63 View Post
    At some point in the future, I do hope that the format of the debates will include 1 notable difference---that the participants would be sitting down at a lengthy table in front of an audience, instead of standing behind individual podiums. So much of the latter tends to emphasize and prioritize the theatrics of the debate. While those are (unfortunately) important in terms of political campaigns, there should be a picture that shows that candidates are not trying to be just the best entertainers out there. The Democrats will also take care of business and if that means having everyone sit in a chair and coming across as more professionally-minded, I think it would look better. I would not advocate having all DNC debates formatted that way, but to have some variety and to include that in at least one of them. It is similar to how Congressional hearings are conducted, for example, where congresspeople interview people while everybody is sitting.
    They recently have been doing the vice president debates sitting down, but can't recall any primary debates like that.

6. Top | #26
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tristan Scott View Post
    I thought Warren was the best of this group. I've always loved her intensity. Castro helped himself.
    Agree. Hate the sound of her voice, but find it worth enduring... hope she's not the nominee, as she is probably the easiest win for Trump other than maybe Mayor Pete. But if she gets the nomination, wins the election and carries the Senate, I'll be overjoyed to admit I was wrong.

I'll feel easier in advance of the election if it's Inslee, Ryan or even Sleepy Joe.

7. Top | #27
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Castro was the only one to say that a broke Caitlyn Jenner has a right to a taxpayer funded abortion. Stunning and brave.

8. Top | #28
    Archived
    Total Posts
    That trans abortion line needs work.

9. Top | #29
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tristan Scott View Post
    I thought Warren was the best of this group. I've always loved her intensity.
    She really should have been on today on the same stage as Biden, Bernie, Buttigieg and Harris.
    There is something to be said for the undercard/kiddie table format instead of the one Dems decided on. I think are overcorrecting for 2016 and swinging too far the other way.

Castro helped himself.
    Half the time I could not understand him because he was speaking Spanish. He also wants to completely decriminalize illegal border crossing, which would remove what little deterrence there is. We need more deterrence, not less. So, hard pass on him.

10. Top | #30
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trausti View Post
    Castro was the only one to say that a broke Caitlyn Jenner has a right to a taxpayer funded abortion. Stunning and brave.
    Where is the fetus going to gestate? Is she going to keep it in a box? </Python>