Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Obesity returning due to feeling safe

1. Top | #1
    Archived
    Total Posts

Obesity returning due to feeling safe

I mean

Obesity returning due to feeling safe with fat (or feeling vulnerable being thin)

Since the 1980s there has been a program for obese people in Southern California. Often it involved supervised fasting for months. Some became thin but then they put the weight back on for what seems to be psychological reasons. There is a journal article about it here:
    https://www.thepermanentejournal.org...n-or-both.html

There's a book called "Lost Connections"
    https://thelostconnections.com/
    which is an investigation into the causes and possible solutions about depression.

Also in one of the chapters it talks about that obesity program and some of the chapter is quoted here:

Feeling safe with fat

Anyway I thought it was surprising - I thought all the formerly obese people would be glad to be thin rather than being "thrown into a brutal depression, or panic, or rage".

2. Top | #2
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I am obese! I know it, my Hubby knows it, my doctor knows it. I have been told to focus on the rest of my health and don’t worry too much about the weight.

All I do now is make sure I don’t put it on and celebrate with a cheer when I do lose a bit. I am not consciously trying to lose weight, but am watching what I eat, and how much of it I consume. I find this contributes more to my general well being overall.

3. Top | #3
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gmbteach View Post
    .....I have been told to focus on the rest of my health and don’t worry too much about the weight....
    That happens to be what the Facebook advertising guidelines say...

https://www.facebook.com/policies/ad...ersonal_health

"...This image implies weight loss and would be non-compliant if used to promote a diet or weight loss product...."

"....This image promotes healthy eating habits and is compliant...."

".....This image focuses on physical fitness and is compliant....."

"...Ad content must not imply or attempt to generate negative self-perception..."

i.e. not pointing out that you might have too much weight on.

4. Top | #4
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Best advice is to focus on healthy and excercising habits and not on weight gain or loss.

5. Top | #5
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolly_Penguin View Post
    Best advice is to focus on healthy and exercising habits and not on weight gain or loss.
    Fasting vs. Eating Less: What's the Difference?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APZCfmgzoS0

The video shows that just eating less can be very hardly to maintain.

But I've heard that after about 2 days the hunger when fasting can end (especially if you're having black coffee [which has no calories])

In that program they were able to lose their fat while fasting but the problem came when they were allowed to eat food.

It would take a lot of self-control to eat healthy... and then there is the issue of many very obese people feeling vulnerable when thin - where being thin is a problem no matter how they ended up becoming thin.

Also fasting can involve burning fat for fuel while just eating less can cause muscle loss.

6. Top | #6
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Many years ago, I was sitting in a locker room with a bunch of naked men. Two of them were talking about fat, namely the fat in their diet. They were runners and were pretty sure that body fat was extra weight, and they could run faster, if they were carrying less. To to this, they carefully examined the nutrition label on all packaged food to see how many grams of fat it contained.

I turned to a friend and said, "You know, in evolutionary terms, we're in much better shape than either of them."
    How is that, he asked.
    "We've made it through the winter with our precious fat reserves intact."

In the history of human kind, the leading cause of death has been starvation, or at least the complications which result from not enough food. A world where food is abundant enough for humans to eat more than needed to maintain their daily activities is a fairly new thing. We haven't really figured it out.

The goal of most living creatures is to live as long as possible. Every animal has a natural life span. If not eaten by a predator, stricken by disease, struck by lightning, or starved to death, eventually the body simply quits functioning. Humans have created a world where leopards, disease, adverse weather events, and starvation, have been minimized.

Whether excess food consumption and the resulting excess body means body functions break down a little sooner, is subject for debate. Who really wants to live forever?

7. Top | #7
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronzeage View Post
    ....They were runners and were pretty sure that body fat was extra weight, and they could run faster, if they were carrying less. To to this, they carefully examined the nutrition label on all packaged food to see how many grams of fat it contained.....
    It is intuitive that eating less fat would mean carrying less body fat but these days many diets, such as the ketogenic diet, involve having a lot more fat (healthy fats) and a lot less carbs. I think there are "essential" fatty acids and "essential" amino acids (protein) - but no essential carbs.

BTW some top athletes stay lean by only having one meal a day.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEv3n44vPVQ

These videos are about people who want to show their muscles by having a very low body fat percentage - some are using intermittent fasting to burn fat for fuel

About a comedian who is very muscular:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dW_99QcCTzE

A muscular guy who helps people getting a good physique:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-n-9DgqyWY

Fast runners do have a pretty low body fat percentage - you can tell because often their abs show.

8. Top | #8
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by excreationist View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronzeage View Post
    ....They were runners and were pretty sure that body fat was extra weight, and they could run faster, if they were carrying less. To to this, they carefully examined the nutrition label on all packaged food to see how many grams of fat it contained.....
    It is intuitive that eating less fat would mean carrying less body fat but these days many diets, such as the ketogenic diet, involve having a lot more fat (healthy fats) and a lot less carbs. I think there are "essential" fatty acids and "essential" amino acids (protein) - but no essential carbs.

Fast runners do have a pretty low body fat percentage - you can tell because often their abs show.
    In the sport of weight lifting and the culture of body building, one thing is constant. There is always a new hypothesis of the best way to get stronger, bigger, or just show more muscle fiber through the skin. Each is replaced in turn.

Body shape and fat percentage, and fat distribution maybe be genetically determined, but there is certainly an environmental element. This is to say, whether a person's body naturally retains more or less fat may be influenced by their diet at a very young age, is not fully understood. It's easy to assume body shape and appearance is inherited, but since children tend to eat what their parents eat, genetics may not be the determining factor.

9. Top | #9
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Have you tried just saying no to food? No eating anything for a couple months will have a dramatic effect on your weight.

10. Top | #10
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Higgins View Post
    Have you tried just saying no to food? No eating anything for a couple months will have a dramatic effect on your weight.
    From Feeling safe with fat quoting Lost Connections by Johann Hari

"What if these severely overweight people simply stopped eating, and lived off the fat stores they'd built up in their bodies until they were down to a normal weight? What would happen?"

Some of them stopped eating for several months....