Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Princess Ivanka tries to butt into a high-level conversation

1. Top | #31
    Quote Originally Posted by Toni View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Arctish View Post
    Is it because Bill Clinton looms so large in their minds they can barely see Hillary, or is it just misogynist auto-dismissal of a married woman 's career?
    Why can't it be both??????

Also I don't think anyone gives a shit about the 'married' part. It's the 'woman' part that they can't stomach.
    I've always thought that Hillary could never win simply because she's married to Bill Clinton and Republicans hated him so much as President that it would bring out the Republican vote. But I have no idea how big a part her being a woman played. If anything it should have been an advantage against a misogynistic cretin like Trump.

2. Top | #32
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ford View Post
    Or, for the people who insist Hillary was unqualified AND that Ivanka deserves a seat at the adult table, cognitive dissonance coupled with shallow partisanship.
    I don't see anyone in this thread defending Ivanka. I'm just pointing out hypocrisy.

Of course in this day and age people can't tell the difference.

3. Top | #33
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Harvestdancer View Post
    I'm just pointing out hypocrisy.
    You're also pointing out nepotism...but if she was elected into office, that's, like, the entire opposite of nepotism.

4. Top | #34
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith&Co. View Post
    You're also pointing out nepotism...but if she was elected into office, that's, like, the entire opposite of nepotism.
    Its not the opposite. If you are famous because you are married to somebody, and then get elected on name recognition, that's not nepotism, but its kind of related. Its not like AOC who came pretty much out of nowhere and got herself elected. Ivanka didn't get elected... so I don't see why she should be anywhere near the diplomat conversations.

5. Top | #35
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhea View Post

Wait, are you trying to say that she won an election by nepotism?
    That is not how elections work.
    And that is not what nepotism means.
    The list of her credentials that led her to being elected to the senate include:
    Being first lady for Bill Clinton
    Being married to Bill Clinton
    And yet these were more credentials that Don the Con had when the majority of Americans who voted didn't vote for him as Prez.

6. Top | #36
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I agree with you somewhat on Clintons, like the Bushes and the Kennedys, benefitting from name recogninition of a previously elected relative. We have the same problem here in Canada with our present gormless Prime Minister.
    As for nobody here defending Ivanka---Unless one is a paid attorney, one should not try to defend the indefensible.

7. Top | #37
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jab View Post
    I agree with you somewhat on Clintons, like the Bushes and the Kennedys, benefitting from name recogninition of a previously elected relative. We have the same problem here in Canada with our present gormless Prime Minister.
    Indeed. Justin really is a case of a guy winning an election (for Prime Minister even) pretty much on name recognition and legacy alone.

8. Top | #38
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolly_Penguin View Post
    Its not the opposite. If you are famous because you are married to somebody, and then get elected on name recognition, that's not nepotism, but its kind of related.
    You kniw, when fundies insist that holes in Big Bang Theory are problems for evolution, because the two theories are 'kind of related,' they just look ign'nint, ignoring the actual definitions of actual words.

Hillary's marriage status was not her only claim to fame. At the time she was in the White House, some conservatives made sure to be quite upset at the power she wielded in the administration. THAT might have been seen as nepotism, but it could also be seen that she worked just as hard as Bill did for the two of them to get there, and it was more of a partnership the whole time.
    She was not coy about the goals for their Presidency. I remember my reaction to her being a political animal, and Bill being an adulterer was to look at all the vomplaints and wonder, why are these people acting surprised?

Either way, when she ran for office, she was a lot more to voters than Mrs. Bill Clinton. And it was not the Mrs. that was her only qualification for State.

So, unless every voter owed Bill a favor, which he collected to win her the Senate seat, it's not even related to nepotism.

9. Top | #39
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolly_Penguin View Post
    Its not the opposite. If you are famous because you are married to somebody, and then get elected on name recognition, that's not nepotism, but its kind of related. Its not like AOC who came pretty much out of nowhere and got herself elected. Ivanka didn't get elected... so I don't see why she should be anywhere near the diplomat conversations.
    Recognition might be a factor, but it isn't everything. Just ask President Fred Thompson. And to say Hillary Clinton's only claim is being married to Bill kinda overlooks the political campaigns she worked in before her surname became Clinton. Can't say the same about Ivanka. And I can't believe this has to be pointed out.

10. Top | #40
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jab View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhea View Post

Wait, are you trying to say that she won an election by nepotism?
    That is not how elections work.
    And that is not what nepotism means.
    The list of her credentials that led her to being elected to the senate include:
    Being first lady for Bill Clinton
    Being married to Bill Clinton
    And yet these were more credentials that Don the Con had when the majority of Americans who voted didn't vote for him as Prez.
    So you're saying that if Donald Trump had married Bill Clinton he'd have been qualified then?