Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cricket... the game, not the insect

1. Top | #1
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts

Lightbulb Cricket... the game, not the insect

So, among the half dozen large global sporting events going on, the Cricket World Cup is in the UK right now. As things stand the top four teams will duke it out in a last man standing brawl or something.

I have never watched cricket before, but was intrigued and following along via BBC. Sling TV had an option of adding the Willow Cricket channel for $5 a month and I figured, what the heck. Two billion people can't be wrong and it is interesting to watch other nations be good at things.

It took a little searching, but I've got the general idea of the game, ie the structure and order of the play. I'm still learning about fielding and bowling tactics. The game is interesting, though I will say the biggest problem with cricket is the time. 6 to 7 hours for a game is a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG time and I can't commit to that. Highlight shows are about an hour, and cricket is a natural game for highlights. The bowling is quick and it is easy to blast through those. I find it amazing how the batters bat... sometimes with power, others with finesse, sometimes (rarely) like baseball.

Australia, England, India, and New Zealand are the last standing squads. I'd have to say India seems to be the favorite as Australia appears to be manipulable based on opponent tactics (and they seem to have injuries too) and England... well... they usually choke in sports (except cycling, you guys are killing in France recently). England fell apart in the middle of the round robin, but brought things back together. Part of me wants India to win because it is nice when nations that aren't Western Civ can win something. England winning at home would be real cool as well. New Zealand is always a nice team to cheer for. Fuck the Aussies and their bounding animals.

So any other Cricket people out there... people that are fans?

2. Top | #2
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Saw one. Squashed it!

3. Top | #3
    The Sunshine State: The one with Crocs, not Gators
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Higgins View Post
    So, among the half dozen large global sporting events going on, the Cricket World Cup is in the UK right now. As things stand the top four teams will duke it out in a last man standing brawl or something.

I have never watched cricket before, but was intrigued and following along via BBC. Sling TV had an option of adding the Willow Cricket channel for $5 a month and I figured, what the heck. Two billion people can't be wrong and it is interesting to watch other nations be good at things.

It took a little searching, but I've got the general idea of the game, ie the structure and order of the play. I'm still learning about fielding and bowling tactics. The game is interesting, though I will say the biggest problem with cricket is the time. 6 to 7 hours for a game is a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG time and I can't commit to that. Highlight shows are about an hour, and cricket is a natural game for highlights. The bowling is quick and it is easy to blast through those. I find it amazing how the batters bat... sometimes with power, others with finesse, sometimes (rarely) like baseball.

Australia, England, India, and New Zealand are the last standing squads. I'd have to say India seems to be the favorite as Australia appears to be manipulable based on opponent tactics (and they seem to have injuries too) and England... well... they usually choke in sports (except cycling, you guys are killing in France recently). England fell apart in the middle of the round robin, but brought things back together. Part of me wants India to win because it is nice when nations that aren't Western Civ can win something. England winning at home would be real cool as well. New Zealand is always a nice team to cheer for. Fuck the Aussies and their bounding animals.

So any other Cricket people out there... people that are fans?
    6-7 hours for a game is VERY short. Cricket is properly played over five days, though four is acceptable if you are in a hurry and don't expect any rain delays. The World Cup is the World Cup of One Day Cricket, which is a very abbreviated form of the game. Cutting the matches down to just 50 overs per team completely changes the strategy, and tactics - it favours batsmen who seek large numbers of boundaries and a high run-rate, over batsmen who seek to defend their wicket, putting on larger numbers of runs over a larger number of overs.

Don't even get me started on the travesty that they call T20.

Cricket isn't so much a sport as an experience. It's one enduring remnant of the glorious days before economic rationalism and 'greed is good' rapaciousness, when a gentleman could take a week off in midsummer, to watch his team play a friendly match in the sunshine and fresh air.

Fifty over cricket is fun; Test match cricket, like drinking tea, is a defining feature of civilization.

4. Top | #4
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Sure, one-day tests are "short" for Cricket... but still 6 to 7 hours. And as can be seen, all I really know is 50 over cricket.... and I didn't even know it was called Fifty over cricket... or if it isn't called that and you just called it that. Regardless, first semi is Tuesday.

I did read up on a two day match where a team was bowled out for 15 or some such runs... only to come back and win by quite a lot on the second day. Happened back in the 12th century BC or something.

5. Top | #5
    the baby-eater
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Cricket is perhaps the one sport where I actually dislike my national team to the point where I'm happy when they lose.

The Australian cricket team have a win-at-all-costs mentality, which manifests in the form of a constant stream of on-field verbal abuse and outright cheating. It's the antithesis of sportsmanship.

6. Top | #6
    The Sunshine State: The one with Crocs, not Gators
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bigfield View Post
    Cricket is perhaps the one sport where I actually dislike my national team to the point where I'm happy when they lose.

The Australian cricket team have a win-at-all-costs mentality, which manifests in the form of a constant stream of on-field verbal abuse and outright cheating. It's the antithesis of sportsmanship.
    It's not cricket.

Cricket was never about winning, except in the most peripheral way. Cricket isn't a sport, it's a recreation. It should wash over you, leaving a gentle feeling of warmth and comfort.

Which is not to say that one should not appreciate a display of skill by any participant; But to consider mere skill or talent as central to the enjoyment would be an error; And to consider victory to be of great import would be barbaric.

So I wholeheartedly agree. Personally I blame the vile Packer clan for the ruinous state of Australian attitudes in regards to the game.

7. Top | #7
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I still miss the cricket of old

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qJLi5y2d2w
    NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

8. Top | #8
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    A few years ago I caught wind of the T-20 World Cup and really had a stern talking to from bilby.

I enjoy the game but in the past it hasn't been trivial to find a match, although since recently discovering Reddit Streams I have to wonder if I'll be able to find it on there.

9. Top | #9
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Holy mother of duck!

What a final. Bowling was really good and the Kiwis appeared to have it for a while, as England were just not getting close enough. And then came Stokes who pulled off the greatest over I've ever witnessed.* A pair of 6's, including one that suffered from bad luck. They needed two runs on the final ball, got it and we have a "Super Over". Then England clobbers the Kiwis only to then get clobbered as well. Then rules be the rules and despite tying in the Super Over, England won the game. They tied on the last ball of the 50th Over and held the Kiwis to a single run in the last ball of the Super Over. Compelling stuff!

* - my history of cricket watching is limited to this World Cup

10. Top | #10
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Higgins View Post
    Holy mother of duck!

What a final. Bowling was really good and the Kiwis appeared to have it for a while, as England were just not getting close enough. And then came Stokes who pulled off the greatest over I've ever witnessed.* A pair of 6's, including one that suffered from bad luck. They needed two runs on the final ball, got it and we have a "Super Over". Then England clobbers the Kiwis only to then get clobbered as well. Then rules be the rules and despite tying in the Super Over, England won the game. They tied on the last ball of the 50th Over and held the Kiwis to a single run in the last ball of the Super Over. Compelling stuff!

* - my history of cricket watching is limited to this World Cup

It can have moments.
    NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.