Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: Cricket... the game, not the insect

  1. Top | #1
    Elder Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Located 100 miles east of A in America
    Posts
    23,180
    Archived
    42,473
    Total Posts
    65,653
    Rep Power
    99

    Lightbulb Cricket... the game, not the insect

    So, among the half dozen large global sporting events going on, the Cricket World Cup is in the UK right now. As things stand the top four teams will duke it out in a last man standing brawl or something.

    I have never watched cricket before, but was intrigued and following along via BBC. Sling TV had an option of adding the Willow Cricket channel for $5 a month and I figured, what the heck. Two billion people can't be wrong and it is interesting to watch other nations be good at things.

    It took a little searching, but I've got the general idea of the game, ie the structure and order of the play. I'm still learning about fielding and bowling tactics. The game is interesting, though I will say the biggest problem with cricket is the time. 6 to 7 hours for a game is a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG time and I can't commit to that. Highlight shows are about an hour, and cricket is a natural game for highlights. The bowling is quick and it is easy to blast through those. I find it amazing how the batters bat... sometimes with power, others with finesse, sometimes (rarely) like baseball.

    Australia, England, India, and New Zealand are the last standing squads. I'd have to say India seems to be the favorite as Australia appears to be manipulable based on opponent tactics (and they seem to have injuries too) and England... well... they usually choke in sports (except cycling, you guys are killing in France recently). England fell apart in the middle of the round robin, but brought things back together. Part of me wants India to win because it is nice when nations that aren't Western Civ can win something. England winning at home would be real cool as well. New Zealand is always a nice team to cheer for. Fuck the Aussies and their bounding animals.

    So any other Cricket people out there... people that are fans?

  2. Top | #2
    Mazzie Daius fromderinside's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Oregon's westernmost
    Posts
    10,753
    Archived
    18,213
    Total Posts
    28,966
    Rep Power
    52
    Saw one. Squashed it!

  3. Top | #3
    Fair dinkum thinkum bilby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    The Sunshine State: The one with Crocs, not Gators
    Posts
    21,338
    Archived
    10,477
    Total Posts
    31,815
    Rep Power
    81
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Higgins View Post
    So, among the half dozen large global sporting events going on, the Cricket World Cup is in the UK right now. As things stand the top four teams will duke it out in a last man standing brawl or something.

    I have never watched cricket before, but was intrigued and following along via BBC. Sling TV had an option of adding the Willow Cricket channel for $5 a month and I figured, what the heck. Two billion people can't be wrong and it is interesting to watch other nations be good at things.

    It took a little searching, but I've got the general idea of the game, ie the structure and order of the play. I'm still learning about fielding and bowling tactics. The game is interesting, though I will say the biggest problem with cricket is the time. 6 to 7 hours for a game is a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG time and I can't commit to that. Highlight shows are about an hour, and cricket is a natural game for highlights. The bowling is quick and it is easy to blast through those. I find it amazing how the batters bat... sometimes with power, others with finesse, sometimes (rarely) like baseball.

    Australia, England, India, and New Zealand are the last standing squads. I'd have to say India seems to be the favorite as Australia appears to be manipulable based on opponent tactics (and they seem to have injuries too) and England... well... they usually choke in sports (except cycling, you guys are killing in France recently). England fell apart in the middle of the round robin, but brought things back together. Part of me wants India to win because it is nice when nations that aren't Western Civ can win something. England winning at home would be real cool as well. New Zealand is always a nice team to cheer for. Fuck the Aussies and their bounding animals.

    So any other Cricket people out there... people that are fans?
    6-7 hours for a game is VERY short. Cricket is properly played over five days, though four is acceptable if you are in a hurry and don't expect any rain delays. The World Cup is the World Cup of One Day Cricket, which is a very abbreviated form of the game. Cutting the matches down to just 50 overs per team completely changes the strategy, and tactics - it favours batsmen who seek large numbers of boundaries and a high run-rate, over batsmen who seek to defend their wicket, putting on larger numbers of runs over a larger number of overs.

    Don't even get me started on the travesty that they call T20.

    Cricket isn't so much a sport as an experience. It's one enduring remnant of the glorious days before economic rationalism and 'greed is good' rapaciousness, when a gentleman could take a week off in midsummer, to watch his team play a friendly match in the sunshine and fresh air.

    Fifty over cricket is fun; Test match cricket, like drinking tea, is a defining feature of civilization.

  4. Top | #4
    Elder Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Located 100 miles east of A in America
    Posts
    23,180
    Archived
    42,473
    Total Posts
    65,653
    Rep Power
    99
    Sure, one-day tests are "short" for Cricket... but still 6 to 7 hours. And as can be seen, all I really know is 50 over cricket.... and I didn't even know it was called Fifty over cricket... or if it isn't called that and you just called it that. Regardless, first semi is Tuesday.

    I did read up on a two day match where a team was bowled out for 15 or some such runs... only to come back and win by quite a lot on the second day. Happened back in the 12th century BC or something.

  5. Top | #5
    the baby-eater
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Straya
    Posts
    3,697
    Archived
    1,750
    Total Posts
    5,447
    Rep Power
    36
    Cricket is perhaps the one sport where I actually dislike my national team to the point where I'm happy when they lose.

    The Australian cricket team have a win-at-all-costs mentality, which manifests in the form of a constant stream of on-field verbal abuse and outright cheating. It's the antithesis of sportsmanship.

  6. Top | #6
    Fair dinkum thinkum bilby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    The Sunshine State: The one with Crocs, not Gators
    Posts
    21,338
    Archived
    10,477
    Total Posts
    31,815
    Rep Power
    81
    Quote Originally Posted by bigfield View Post
    Cricket is perhaps the one sport where I actually dislike my national team to the point where I'm happy when they lose.

    The Australian cricket team have a win-at-all-costs mentality, which manifests in the form of a constant stream of on-field verbal abuse and outright cheating. It's the antithesis of sportsmanship.
    It's not cricket.

    Cricket was never about winning, except in the most peripheral way. Cricket isn't a sport, it's a recreation. It should wash over you, leaving a gentle feeling of warmth and comfort.

    Which is not to say that one should not appreciate a display of skill by any participant; But to consider mere skill or talent as central to the enjoyment would be an error; And to consider victory to be of great import would be barbaric.

    So I wholeheartedly agree. Personally I blame the vile Packer clan for the ruinous state of Australian attitudes in regards to the game.

  7. Top | #7
    Veteran Member Tigers!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    On the wing waiting for a kick.
    Posts
    1,700
    Archived
    2,558
    Total Posts
    4,258
    Rep Power
    53
    I still miss the cricket of old

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qJLi5y2d2w
    NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

  8. Top | #8
    Contributor
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    The North
    Posts
    9,097
    Archived
    9,514
    Total Posts
    18,611
    Rep Power
    45
    A few years ago I caught wind of the T-20 World Cup and really had a stern talking to from bilby.

    I enjoy the game but in the past it hasn't been trivial to find a match, although since recently discovering Reddit Streams I have to wonder if I'll be able to find it on there.

  9. Top | #9
    Elder Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Located 100 miles east of A in America
    Posts
    23,180
    Archived
    42,473
    Total Posts
    65,653
    Rep Power
    99
    Holy mother of duck!

    What a final. Bowling was really good and the Kiwis appeared to have it for a while, as England were just not getting close enough. And then came Stokes who pulled off the greatest over I've ever witnessed.* A pair of 6's, including one that suffered from bad luck. They needed two runs on the final ball, got it and we have a "Super Over". Then England clobbers the Kiwis only to then get clobbered as well. Then rules be the rules and despite tying in the Super Over, England won the game. They tied on the last ball of the 50th Over and held the Kiwis to a single run in the last ball of the Super Over. Compelling stuff!

    * - my history of cricket watching is limited to this World Cup



  10. Top | #10
    Veteran Member Tigers!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    On the wing waiting for a kick.
    Posts
    1,700
    Archived
    2,558
    Total Posts
    4,258
    Rep Power
    53
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Higgins View Post
    Holy mother of duck!

    What a final. Bowling was really good and the Kiwis appeared to have it for a while, as England were just not getting close enough. And then came Stokes who pulled off the greatest over I've ever witnessed.* A pair of 6's, including one that suffered from bad luck. They needed two runs on the final ball, got it and we have a "Super Over". Then England clobbers the Kiwis only to then get clobbered as well. Then rules be the rules and despite tying in the Super Over, England won the game. They tied on the last ball of the 50th Over and held the Kiwis to a single run in the last ball of the Super Over. Compelling stuff!

    * - my history of cricket watching is limited to this World Cup


    It can have moments.
    NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •