Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Have you ever been star struck?

1. Top | #11
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    In 1965 I rode Flipper. Does that count? (I think there were 3 Flippers that were used on the TV show, but I rode one of 'em.) Therefore I made ACTUAL BODY CONTACT with a star (his fin.) He later refused to take my calls, tho'.

2. Top | #12
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Pete Buttigieg's husband, Chasten, has a first cousin who is good friends with one of my neighbors. She approached me one day when she saw me walking while wearing my "Pete Buttigieg 2020" hat, and let me know about that tidbit. We also discussed politics/religion a bit more generally.

So I cannot say I have met him myself at all, but kinda cool that I would have this very loose personal connection with a guy that could be President of the U.S. sometime in the future.

3. Top | #13
    Veteran Member
    I see celebrities, mostly TV actors, quite frequently and have been in their company lots of times. I'm never star struck and I have never asked for an autograph or a picture no matter who it is. I have friends in "the industry" so I am sometimes in the company of successful actors, producers etc. I know a few actors that work quite a bit and I see them on made for TV movies or commercials. They are not celebrities now, but maybe some day they will be.

4. Top | #14
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts

5. Top | #15
    Super Moderator
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I once had Angelina Jolie come up and start making out with me. That threw me off. She apologized afterwards and explained that it was because I'm just a dead ringer for her husband, but I actually didn't mind all that much.

6. Top | #16
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I've also met my fair share of celebrities during my radio career. I very rarely get star-struck.

There was one time, though...we were at Disneyland in the late 90s for the opening of the "New Tomorrowland." There were a lot of famous people there. I met Wally Schirra (one of the Mercury 7 astronauts) and stood next to Buzz Aldrin. The elusive one was Glenn Frey from the Eagles. We couldn't get near him. Anyway, I was checking out of the hotel and saw him standing in the lobby waiting for the elevator. I didn't even try to talk to him.

A little while later we were all having lunch at this little cafe on our way out of the park, I said (rather loudly) "you know who I saw in the lobby? Glenn Frey!" Our promotions director said - through clenched teeth - "yes, and he's sitting right behind you." He was there with his kids. Didn't bother him. But we both walked up to the condiment bar at the same time. I gave him a "what's up" nod and he nodded back.

7. Top | #17
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Who loves ya, baby?

In the mid 70's Telly Savalas was visiting a vacation home near where I lived. He stopped in a local liquor store to buy refreshments - and I was in there. I loved the Kojak series and was absolutely tongue tied to actually meet him. He was very polite and well spoken. I have never forgotten that.

Ruth

8. Top | #18
    Veteran Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruth Harris View Post
    Who loves ya, baby?

In the mid 70's Telly Savalas was visiting a vacation home near where I lived. He stopped in a local liquor store to buy refreshments - and I was in there. I loved the Kojak series and was absolutely tongue tied to actually meet him. He was very polite and well spoken. I have never forgotten that.

Ruth
    He used to live in the Sheraton in Universal City and was a regular in the bar there and I ran into him. A very nice guy, very sociable and laid back. He seemed to enjoy interacting with anyone that spoke to him. The bar staff loved him.

9. Top | #19
    Veteran Member
    I met Colm Meaney (Miles O'Brien in Star Trek TNG and DS9) at a bar. We had a beer and talked about Long Island. Poor guy really didn't want to be there I don't think... he was visiting a friend that owned that bar.

10. Top | #20
    Veteran Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian63 View Post
    Pete Buttigieg's husband, Chasten, has a first cousin who is good friends with one of my neighbors. She approached me one day when she saw me walking while wearing my "Pete Buttigieg 2020" hat, and let me know about that tidbit. We also discussed politics/religion a bit more generally.

So I cannot say I have met him myself at all, but kinda cool that I would have this very loose personal connection with a guy that could be President of the U.S. sometime in the future.
    I know the psychoanalyst that supervised the clinical therapist who treated our current president of the united states after he was kicked out of grade school for bullying and pulling a knife on several other kids - it was court-mandated psychotherapy. It's how "Little Donny" stayed out of juvenile hall. That person is quite old now (but told me this story in like the 90's - so motivation to lie was nonexistent)... after this person passes, I might be able to share more of what was illegal for that person to have told me (patient confidentiality and all)... verifiable details.