Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to sharpen your tools as a senior software developer?

1. Top | #11
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_bank View Post
    You have a history of threads asking for advice. Several on investing. Why not pick up a book?

Maybe you are just looking for self reinforcement. Nothing wrong with that unless it is chronic.
    It was a slow afternoon at work. Advice threads I make aren't just for me, they help people with interest in the thread, too.

And this place could use some novel conversations.

2. Top | #12
    Super Moderator
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
    And this place could use some novel conversations.
    Then talk about how to write a book!

3. Top | #13
    Archived
    Total Posts
    So first off I'll say good on you for where you are. I think I remember some of your earlier posts when you were starting your career and it seems like things have gotten traction.

The question I have is what exactly are you trying to hone? Do you want to remove rust? Is it ennui?

As a programmer, not a developer in quite a while, one thing I could recommend is a dig into some primitive stuff like building computational circuits using 7400 series logic or low level OpenGL. Since I'm not doing it professionally I've found FPGA boards (Spartan 6/7, Zynq) a decent outlet for what bits of free time I get to keep the passion for learning. Of course that's assuming you're completely up to date on whatever skill set you need in your job (languages, frameworks, platforms, compliance & legislation, etc)

4. Top | #14
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deepak View Post
    So first off I'll say good on you for where you are. I think I remember some of your earlier posts when you were starting your career and it seems like things have gotten traction.

The question I have is what exactly are you trying to hone? Do you want to remove rust? Is it ennui?

As a programmer, not a developer in quite a while, one thing I could recommend is a dig into some primitive stuff like building computational circuits using 7400 series logic or low level OpenGL. Since I'm not doing it professionally I've found FPGA boards (Spartan 6/7, Zynq) a decent outlet for what bits of free time I get to keep the passion for learning. Of course that's assuming you're completely up to date on whatever skill set you need in your job (languages, frameworks, platforms, compliance & legislation, etc)
    Good question, and you know I haven't actually reflected on that. It's been a kind of vague 'I want to get better' but with no real aim in mind.

At the end of the day, maybe it's just boredom. When I was doing my internships in college and all of this was fresh I found the job interesting and exciting. But now that I've been doing it for over five years I'm craving growth, but it feels like I've already done the brunt of growing that I'm going to do. I'd settle for some interesting projects that bend my mind a bit, but not really getting that either.

If there's anything I've learned about myself since getting out into the wild it's that I actually enjoy a touch of stress, as much as I hate to say it. And right now I'm way, way too comfortable to the point that it's bordering on tedium.

On the bright side, we're planning on having kids, so a predictable, boring job may become more of an asset when that finally happens.