Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: When's the last time you heard something new from the Christians?

1. Top | #1
    Cyborg with a Tiara
    Archived
    Total Posts

When's the last time you heard something new from the Christians?

The other thread got me thinking. It's been a long long time since I heard something novel from the Christians trying to explain their beliefs.
    Whether that be trying to sell their beliefs, or apologize for their beliefs or make excuses for their beliefs.

I do hear things that are new about how to look at the Christian religion from a few atheists, mostly because there are so few out there, so I haven't heard as many and also because science keeps discovering new things that almost always make the bible less believable.

But religion? All their stuff I heard 40 years ago, you know?

When's the last time a christian gave you an argument that was knew and you had to look stuff up and decide how you felt about it?

2. Top | #2
    Archived
    Total Posts
    A couple categories.

I have read/seen paleontology arguments from Ken Ham giving YEC arguments that I cannot refute, because I have little knowledge and interest in that field. The same thing with many who make historical arguments for the NT being a historical document. I simply have never had much interest in the details of the historical (in)accuracies either way. Accepting their conclusions would require rejecting principles like methodological naturalism though, which has been an extremely useful tool for us to obtain knowledge in the past. The fact that Ken Ham also bypasses scientific consensus to try to legitimize his views is also a huge red flag. The proper way to show that you have come across some important new scientific discovery is to convince peers and other scientists and experts of its legitimacy, not Joe Schmoe's on the street who know nothing about the topic.

3. Top | #3
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Depends on what you consider 'new.' Last week I heard someone arguing that the big bang required god for a justification I hadn't heard before. But really, it strikes me that as the gaps get smaller and smaller, the god of the gaps has to find smaller and smaller niches. So not a new thing as much as a new spot to place the old thing.

Plus, his 'god is the only way to explain this' point was offered to other believers, not someone with enough physics to actually critique its applicability.

4. Top | #4
    When atheists hear new arguments, they just go "Well that's not what MOST Christians believe" and ignore you.

5. Top | #5
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Nobody ever brings up religion with me, and what could possible be new about a religion that is over 2000 years old?

6. Top | #6
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith&Co. View Post
    Depends on what you consider 'new.' Last week I heard someone arguing that the big bang required god for a justification I hadn't heard before. But really, it strikes me that as the gaps get smaller and smaller, the god of the gaps has to find smaller and smaller niches. So not a new thing as much as a new spot to place the old thing.
    Years ago it seemed to me that Apologists (not YEC'rs) had winnowed their arguments down to three remaining 'gaps':

1) The origin of the universe
    2) The origin of life
    3) The origin of morality

Everything else a well-read apologist will concede has natural explanations (within the framework of "God created the rules of nature"--see Argument #1) but those three were the hills to die on. That's all the arguments I hear from them anymore. I'll hear Apologists grudgingly admit that the Bible may not be inerrant, or that Moses didn't write the Pentaeuch, or that a person can go to Heaven without praying the sinner's prayer. "But only God can make a tree."

I stopped enjoying Theist/Skeptic debates, because they all are restricted to those three topics. "Does God exist?" "Is morality Objective?" "Is Evolution true?" The subjects and arguments are mostly unfalisfiable philosophy. I would like to see debates on more mundane topics--"Do demons exist?" "Was Noah's Deluge Global?" "Did Jesus turn water into wine?" But I suspect apologists aren't interested in those kinds of debates.

7. Top | #7
    Archived
    Total Posts
    When atheists hear new arguments, they just go "Well that's not what MOST Christians believe" and ignore you.
    If it were a good argument, there would be more people than just one that believes it.

8. Top | #8
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by James Brown View Post
    I stopped enjoying Theist/Skeptic debates, because they all are restricted to those three topics. "Does God exist?" "Is morality Objective?" "Is Evolution true?" The subjects and arguments are mostly unfalisfiable philosophy. I would like to see debates on more mundane topics--"Do demons exist?" "Was Noah's Deluge Global?" "Did Jesus turn water into wine?" But I suspect apologists aren't interested in those kinds of debates.
    This is why I've lost interest too. The debates amount to materialists bashing their head against a wall until theists admit they're wrong or give up. I much prefer to live in the arena of scholars who've moved a few football fields past religious debate and are discussing new ideas.

God bless the people with the patience for it, I have many things I'd rather involve myself in.

9. Top | #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarpedon View Post
    If it were a good argument, there would be more people than just one that believes it.
    Well, okay.

But if you refuse to have conversations about anything other than the majority perspective in your country, you can't very well complain about a lack of novelty, can you? It's like someone bitching about how all movies are the same these days, then refusing to investigate indie cinema because it isn't popular.

10. Top | #10
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Politesse View Post
    But if you refuse to have conversations about anything other than the majority perspective in your country, you can't very well complain about a lack of novelty, can you?
    But do you bring up novel perspectives by initiating a new thread for discussion?
    Because my impression has been that you bring up a novel POV in the middle of a thread about something that is a majority or at least a plurality position.
    Which may mean that it's not a case of refusing something new, but not wanting to derail to discuss something that is not-the-OP.

I may be wrong, but that's what the back of my mind is suggesting. But I threw out all my otherposter surveillance notes...