Thread: On not working too much

1. Top | #11
    Archived
    Total Posts
    -nm

2. Top | #12
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Nice little article. Is 40 Hours a Week Too Much? Here’s What History and Science Say https://www.askspoke.com/blog/hr/40-hour-work-week/

Summary less than 40 per week is probably beneficial to employee, employer, and social security net. There will always be those who are exceptions like steve_bank and fdi who can go full steam for many hours when captured by an interesting situation. But superstition and norms need be addressed continuously as times and conditions change leading us to this thread among others.

This cite is off topic. it's just posted to indicate my interest in the area.
    https://apps.dtic.mil/docs/citations/ADP001143

The Systems Operability Measurement Algorithm (SOMA) was developed as a system evaluation methodology to provide decision makers with information about system adequacy and design alternatives within the context of mission needs and requirements. During the past year a research effort has been directed toward evaluation of SOMA in terms of its reliability and validity.
    Its about evaluating a multidimensional scale for assessing pilot workload and technical effectiveness of systems employed in advanced development and flight test using F16 AFTI and F7 Corsair tactical aircraft pilots. Systems Operability Measurement Algorithm renamed from Mission Operability Assessment Technique. same tool, different hand waving.

3. Top | #13
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I worked 70 hours a week for twelve years.

I needed the money.

4. Top | #14
    Veteran Member
    Back in the 50s the idea was that all the manufacturing technology developed in WWII was going to give us more leisure time.

We could easily have a 20 hour week which would require a restructuring of the economy. Sooner or later people are not going to want to work a lot of hours to get by.

5. Top | #15
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by James Brown View Post
    I worked 70 hours a week for twelve years.

I needed the money.
    Don;t you ever wonder why those people working 40 hours or less are getting promotions?

Da trick is to get nuggets most of the time rather than randomly or never. Doing so requires .....

6. Top | #16
    Searching for reality along the long and winding road
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lpetrich View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_bank View Post
    People like AE and Darwin are working 24/7. There is no off button. ...
    How is that supposed to be the case? How does one "work" while one is sleeping?
    It depends on what the 'work' is. 'Work" that involves understanding complex problems or relationships then modeling that understanding is one kind of work that can be aided through allowing the brain to 'do it's thing' without conscious guidance. In this case the brain can (and does) sort and draw relationships during sleep. I have several times woke in the middle of the night with a new insight into a problem that I have been working on and wrote it down before I forgot.

If the job is welding or riveting panels together, assembling widgets, auditing books, etc. then you are right that one doesn't 'work' while sleeping.
    Our idealized paradigm is you get in proportion to your efforts. What happens if everybody minimizes effort.
    Except that there is a *lot* of evidence of diminishing returns for more than about 50 hours per week.
    Again, it depends on what that 'work' is.

7. Top | #17
    Veteran Member
    Doing a full day of difficult think work can levee you just as drained as physical work. The Braun us he biggest energy consumer in the body,.

People like AE are constantly engaged in a problem. From his bio at one point at Prtincton he did not undress before bed, it was too distracting.