Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Man mansplains to other men about women's rage

1. Top | #41
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trausti View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Higgins View Post
    There is a difference between not reading an article and just clearly not understanding an article. That shouldn't be mistaken as a defense for Trausti's opinion, rather just an indication I believe they read the blog post.
    Ah, the practice of the religious fundamentalist. Dear Atheist, you may have read the Bible or Koran, but you do not understand it.
    Yeah, Jimmy is a real gender traitor here. Real men don’t feel empathy for women.

2. Top | #42
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trausti View Post
    There is a difference between not reading an article and just clearly not understanding an article. That shouldn't be mistaken as a defense for Trausti's opinion, rather just an indication I believe they read the blog post.
    Ah, the practice of the religious fundamentalist. Dear Atheist, you may have read the Bible or Koran, but you do not understand it.
    Your remarks on it indicate you are clearly oblivious to their point. Trying to parallel this with the bible evangelism is just... well lazy on your part.

3. Top | #43
    Veteran Member
    Not sure I completely understand the point being made...

Is the point that being sexually assaulted hurts? A point to address those people (that I never heard of) that claim it feels good to be raped, therefore it is a good thing to do to people?

OR, is the point that the emotional pain of existence of Woman in a male-dominated society akin to a kick in the balls?

If the former, then I don't know what cartoon character they are addressing...
    If the latter, then bullshit... emotional pain and physical pain are too different to compare... as if a woman getting a smile from a man that they do not find attractive causes them to writhe on the floor in debilitating pain. equivalently, a woman leading a man on to believe they will be having sex, and then not, is like menstrual cramps... so get woke women!

Is a "kick to the balls" all women think men understand on the topic of discomfort? That's pretty silly.

4. Top | #44
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gun Nut View Post
    Not sure I completely understand the point being made...

Is the point that being sexually assaulted hurts? A point to address those people (that I never heard of) that claim it feels good to be raped, therefore it is a good thing to do to people?
    No.
    OR, is the point that the emotional pain of existence of Woman in a male-dominated society akin to a kick in the balls?
    Not that either.

He is trying to create an awareness about how sexual harassment to sexual assault in many cases is a normalized behavior. The idea that your Dad will take you aside and tell you that people will repeatedly kick you in the downstairs, and you'll just have to accept it is ridiculous. If you got kicked in the crotch, no one is going to ask you, "What were you wearing?" Yet, women have had to accept the reality of being sexually harassed or assaulted, with absolutely no recourse. They have been told to second guess their own actions, not those of the perpetrator. And goodness help them if they speak up! *Imagining Derec starting threads about how men lie about getting punched in the crotch*

Is a "kick to the balls" all women think men understand on the topic of discomfort? That's pretty silly.
    The person who came up with the analogy is a man.

5. Top | #45
    Veteran Member
    No.
    Not that either.

He is trying to create an awareness about how sexual harassment to sexual assault in many cases is a normalized behavior. The idea that your Dad will take you aside and tell you that people will repeatedly kick you in the downstairs, and you'll just have to accept it is ridiculous. If you got kicked in the crotch, no one is going to ask you, "What were you wearing?" Yet, women have had to accept the reality of being sexually harassed or assaulted, with absolutely no recourse. They have been told to second guess their own actions, not those of the perpetrator. And goodness help them if they speak up! *Imagining Derec starting threads about how men lie about getting punched in the crotch*

Yes, I do realize it was a man. OK, thank you for explaining that it was supposed to be about victim blaming... I must have read a totally different article than you... or all the ads on the page tricked me into thinking I read the whole article, but there was more after / behind the ads. Not revisiting, though.

usually there is a reason for getting kicked in the balls... or punched in the face... or yelled at... it rarely comes out of nowhere. I think this is the wrong message. Ask a man the last time his balls were stuck by someone and it will either be an accident, or they said or did something to invite an assault. Is that the message... rape is either an accident or they asked for it?

6. Top | #46
    Super Moderator
    Archived
    Total Posts
    No.
    Not that either.

Yes, I do realize it was a man. OK, thank you for explaining that it was supposed to be about victim blaming... I must have read a totally different article than you... or all the ads on the page tricked me into thinking I read the whole article, but there was more after / behind the ads. Not revisiting, though.

usually there is a reason for getting kicked in the balls... or punched in the face... or yelled at... it rarely comes out of nowhere. I think this is the wrong message. Ask a man the last time his balls were stuck by someone and it will either be an accident, or they said or did something to invite an assault. Is that the message... rape is either an accident or they asked for it?
    This is what is called overextending the analogy. It's not meant to be a 1:1 comparison about all aspects of it, but simply framing the pain experienced by women as a result of these situations as a type of pain that men can relate to, regardless of how much they know or care about sexual assault. That's it. That's the analogy. When you take the analogy beyond that, you are no longer discussing anything that anybody but yourself is saying.

7. Top | #47
    Veteran Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Sawyer View Post

This is what is called overextending the analogy. It's not meant to be a 1:1 comparison about all aspects of it, but simply framing the pain experienced by women as a result of these situations as a type of pain that men can relate to, regardless of how much they know or care about sexual assault. That's it. That's the analogy. When you take the analogy beyond that, you are no longer discussing anything that anybody but yourself is saying.
    OK, I appreciate that... I'm totally onboard with keeping analogies scoped to their purpose... back to my original response, corrected, then;
    Quote Originally Posted by Gun Nut
    Is a "kick to the balls" all women the audience think men understand on the topic of discomfort? That's pretty silly.

8. Top | #48
    Super Moderator
    Archived
    Total Posts
    It's not "all" they think we understand, it's just a very straightforward and easily understood concept of intense pain. Given that this is exactly the type of pain that the analogy was trying to reference, anything else they chose would have been a worse example than this obvious example.

9. Top | #49
    Veteran Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Sawyer View Post
    It's not "all" they think we understand, it's just a very straightforward and easily understood concept of intense pain. Given that this is exactly the type of pain that the analogy was trying to reference, anything else they chose would have been a worse example than this obvious example.
    OK, I get it... color me unimpressed.

I view this like telling a woman that denying a man sex is like giving them menstrual cramps... because they just can't possibly understand that blue balls are uncomfortable.

10. Top | #50
    Super Moderator
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Ok ... good luck with all that, I guess?