Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 62

Thread: Feminists:" Air Conditioning Is Sexist!" (Seriously)

  1. Top | #1
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    2,135
    Archived
    1,250
    Total Posts
    3,385
    Rep Power
    0

    Feminists:" Air Conditioning Is Sexist!" (Seriously)

    "In an Afghan village, terrorists throw acid on little girls’ faces, poison their water, and hurl grenades into their classrooms to stop them from going to school. In an American office, some women are a little chilly. For first world radical feminists, the latter issue takes precedence, especially in the scorching summer heat."

    "Yesterday, Atlantic staff writer Taylor Lorenz tweeted that air-conditioning is “unhealthy, bad, miserable, and sexist,” bringing attention to a feminist movement against air-conditioning. That’s right, a miraculous wonder of technology that allows people to settle in sweltering climates is now “an engine of the patriarchy.”
    https://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/cu...tioning-sexist

    There are no words to explain stupidity of this magnitude. I thought the left was already too far gone, but now they have proven that they are even further gone.

  2. Top | #2
    Contributor
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    South Pole
    Posts
    9,716
    Archived
    3,444
    Total Posts
    13,160
    Rep Power
    70
    It's racist against people from warmer climates too.

  3. Top | #3
    Contributor
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    NOT laying back and thinking of England
    Posts
    8,766
    Archived
    3,655
    Total Posts
    12,421
    Rep Power
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by Half-Life View Post
    "In an Afghan village, terrorists throw acid on little girls’ faces, poison their water, and hurl grenades into their classrooms to stop them from going to school. In an American office, some women are a little chilly. For first world radical feminists, the latter issue takes precedence, especially in the scorching summer heat."

    "Yesterday, Atlantic staff writer Taylor Lorenz tweeted that air-conditioning is “unhealthy, bad, miserable, and sexist,” bringing attention to a feminist movement against air-conditioning. That’s right, a miraculous wonder of technology that allows people to settle in sweltering climates is now “an engine of the patriarchy.”
    https://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/cu...tioning-sexist

    There are no words to explain stupidity of this magnitude. I thought the left was already too far gone, but now they have proven that they are even further gone.
    That's a right wing source you've linked. I've seen other sources though, so I know it's 'a thing' for some people who really do need to put on a sweater or something.

    But I'll play: In my house, I'm the one who consistently sets the thermostat lower in summer and winter. I prefer to be slightly chilly than to be hot. My husband would be happier a few degrees warmer in the winter at least. I tell myself that I make up for my environmental irresponsibility in running the AC 3 months of the year by keeping the temps down low during the cold months. But aside from being a bit on the hotter side, the AC really does a great job of reducing humidity and is a huge help during allergy season. This past winter was exceptionally cold where I live (upper midwest where winter temps often drop to -10 - -20 F--without factoring in windchill.) and it was the first time I found that I wasn't running around the house barefoot all winter and put on a sweater and/or pulled up an afghan if I was watching tv or reading. Even then, if I was up doing something rather than just sitting, I wasn't cold and rarely put on a second layer.

    The general rule of thumb is that men tend to be warmer than women in most settings. In an office setting, it makes sense if men are required (by custom or rules) to wear suits/jackets/dress shirt/undershirt/tie, although the differential may not be so great if women are also wearing jackets. IMO, if someone is cold, they can wear a jacket or sweater. Even in the privacy of your own home, there's only so much clothing one can remove. You can't undress more than completely nude, which is inappropriate in the workplace and not very practical most of the time at home. But that's written by someone who has always preferred cooler temps and is typically more indifferent to the cold than most other people.


    Oh, and ask anyone around here: I'm a big ole radical leftist feminist and I still say: let them wear sweaters!

  4. Top | #4
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Republic of Korea
    Posts
    1,215
    Archived
    1,216
    Total Posts
    2,431
    Rep Power
    66
    Quote Originally Posted by Half-Life View Post
    "In an Afghan village, terrorists throw acid on little girls’ faces, poison their water, and hurl grenades into their classrooms to stop them from going to school. In an American office, some women are a little chilly. For first world radical feminists, the latter issue takes precedence, especially in the scorching summer heat."

    "Yesterday, Atlantic staff writer Taylor Lorenz tweeted that air-conditioning is “unhealthy, bad, miserable, and sexist,” bringing attention to a feminist movement against air-conditioning. That’s right, a miraculous wonder of technology that allows people to settle in sweltering climates is now “an engine of the patriarchy.”
    https://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/cu...tioning-sexist

    There are no words to explain stupidity of this magnitude. I thought the left was already too far gone, but now they have proven that they are even further gone.
    So ONE person calls air-conditioning "sexist" and that proves "the left [is] too far gone"?

    You didn't even show that this person belongs to "the left" much less represents "the left" or even a single other person who identifies as "the left."

    It's almost like you don't even care to learn how logic or reason work.

  5. Top | #5
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Canberra, Australia
    Posts
    3,548
    Archived
    10,974
    Total Posts
    14,522
    Rep Power
    50
    Quote Originally Posted by zorq View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Half-Life View Post
    "In an Afghan village, terrorists throw acid on little girls’ faces, poison their water, and hurl grenades into their classrooms to stop them from going to school. In an American office, some women are a little chilly. For first world radical feminists, the latter issue takes precedence, especially in the scorching summer heat."

    "Yesterday, Atlantic staff writer Taylor Lorenz tweeted that air-conditioning is “unhealthy, bad, miserable, and sexist,” bringing attention to a feminist movement against air-conditioning. That’s right, a miraculous wonder of technology that allows people to settle in sweltering climates is now “an engine of the patriarchy.”
    https://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/cu...tioning-sexist

    There are no words to explain stupidity of this magnitude. I thought the left was already too far gone, but now they have proven that they are even further gone.
    So ONE person calls air-conditioning "sexist" and that proves "the left [is] too far gone"?

    It's almost like you don't even care to learn how logic or reason work.
    This isn't the first article I've read about the subject, from both establishment media as well as feminist 'blogs'.

    There is a real, biological, 'temperature' gap between men and women. Elvis famously had Graceland set to one temperature year long (freezing). It's the reason there are 'dual temperature' zone quilts for (presumably) heterosexual couples. And, of course, there is enough overlap that everyone can name counterexamples.

    But, as far as I can see, and Toni has already said this, given the requirements of the business world, which has a dress code for men that is less flexible in terms of temperature variation, the cold complainers need to shut up and put on a jumper, and STOP WEARING SLEEVELESS TOPS TO WORK AND THEN SHIVERING.

    I have one option to look professional: a suit and tie. I can't wear short sleeves. I can't wear shorts. I can't do anything to adjust what I'm wearing to suit the office temperature. But women can.

    And they should.

  6. Top | #6
    Veteran Member prideandfall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    a drawer of inappropriate starches
    Posts
    1,490
    Archived
    2,715
    Total Posts
    4,205
    Rep Power
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by Metaphor View Post
    But women *can.
    *provided they are able and willing to endure ridicule, judgment, shitty comments, and risk their long-term careers.
    because if you're a woman who doesn't bow at the altar of dressing "pretty" in a corporate office you will get a mountain of shit piled on you for your entire life.

    also, as a general rule, why do you consider it morally acceptable that the baseline should be "women are uncomfortable, men are not"?
    saying "should" implies that the comfort of men in the office is the presumed standard for how the office should be conducted.

  7. Top | #7
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Canberra, Australia
    Posts
    3,548
    Archived
    10,974
    Total Posts
    14,522
    Rep Power
    50
    *provided they are able and willing to endure ridicule, judgment, shitty comments, and risk their long-term careers.
    In what universe are women ridiculed for wearing long sleeves instead of a sleeveless top? In what universe are women ridiculed for wearing stockings instead of having bare legs? In what universe are women ridiculed for wearing a jacket?

    What universe do you live in?

    because if you're a woman who doesn't bow at the altar of dressing "pretty" in a corporate office you will get a mountain of shit piled on you for your entire life.
    In what universe is wearing clothes with long sleeves unpretty?

    What. Fucking. Universe. Do. You. Live. In.

    also, as a general rule, why do you consider it morally acceptable that the baseline should be "women are uncomfortable, men are not"?
    I don't. I didn't say it and I don't believe it. That's why I suggested women should wear clothing that makes them comfortable in the temperature environment they are faced with.

    saying "should" implies that the comfort of men in the office is the presumed standard for how the office should be conducted.
    The office should be comfortable for all its workers, as far as is practicable.

    Problem: Men and women have a small average difference in the temperature that each finds comfortable.
    Reality: Men have no feasible options to reduce the amount of clothing they wear to the office and continue to look professional.
    Reality: Women have many feasible options to increase the amount of clothing they ear to the office and continue to look professional (more professional, in fact).

  8. Top | #8
    Veteran Member prideandfall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    a drawer of inappropriate starches
    Posts
    1,490
    Archived
    2,715
    Total Posts
    4,205
    Rep Power
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by Metaphor View Post
    In what universe are women ridiculed for wearing long sleeves instead of a sleeveless top? In what universe are women ridiculed for wearing stockings instead of having bare legs? In what universe are women ridiculed for wearing a jacket?

    What universe do you live in?
    the real one, which your posting history indicates you have absolutely no concept of.

    you said previously "I have one option to look professional: a suit and tie."
    in what universe do YOU live in where you can't wear khakis or chinos to the office? or a short sleeved polo?

    In what universe is wearing clothes with long sleeves unpretty?
    in what universe is wearing a suit with a jacket professional?

    What. Fucking. Universe. Do. You. Live. In.
    not one where a gay man grasps the concept of a subset of the population being held to a different standard from the rest due to superficial causes, apparently.

    I don't. I didn't say it and I don't believe it. That's why I suggested women should wear clothing that makes them comfortable in the temperature environment they are faced with.
    that explicitly states that the comfort of men should be the default state and women should cater to it.
    "the environment they are faced with" by your argument is one in which men are comfortable... there's absolutely no possible interpretation of your own words that doesn't logically result in your argument being that an office should cater to men's comfort and women should shut up and work around it.


    Problem: Men and women have a small average difference in the temperature that each finds comfortable.
    Reality: Men have no feasible options to reduce the amount of clothing they wear to the office and continue to look professional.
    Reality: Women have many feasible options to increase the amount of clothing they ear to the office and continue to look professional (more professional, in fact).
    reality: your first and only thought is that women should change how they dress (an active detriment to their long term career prospects in many cases) so that men don't have to change how they dress, a thought which you believe has an ontological endpoint requiring that an office caters to the comfort of men.

    which is completely fine, you're free to do that, but don't mistake your misogyny for some kind of logical argument.

  9. Top | #9
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Canberra, Australia
    Posts
    3,548
    Archived
    10,974
    Total Posts
    14,522
    Rep Power
    50
    Quote Originally Posted by prideandfall View Post
    the real one, which your posting history indicates you have absolutely no concept of.

    you said previously "I have one option to look professional: a suit and tie."
    in what universe do YOU live in where you can't wear khakis or chinos to the office? or a short sleeved polo?
    This universe. "Khakis"??! I'm not an eccentric tech billionaire who can wear pajamas to board meetings. I live in the world where I am judged by my attire, no matter the quality of my work.

    Quote Originally Posted by prideandfall View Post
    in what universe is wearing a suit with a jacket professional?
    Now you're trolling me, and I can see our conversation might have to come to an end.

    Edit: I can see now I mistyped. I meant a suit that includes tie and jacket, which just means suit.

    I recall Republicans having a hissy fit over Obama taking his jacket off in the Oval Office. They said it looked unprofessional. That's how restrictive men's professional attire is.

    Quote Originally Posted by prideandfall View Post
    not one where a gay man grasps the concept of a subset of the population being held to a different standard from the rest due to superficial causes, apparently.
    You live in a universe where you think women wearing clothes suitable to the office temperature makes them unpretty. I must ask: are you a woman? Do you know how to dress yourself? Have you observed that women can wear clothes suitable for something other than the hottest day of the year, and still look "pretty", or, dare I say it, professional, even?

    I know women can do this because my office is more than half women. It's such a pity you can't imagine women dressing to suit the temperature without looking like a cold mess.

    that explicitly states that the comfort of men should be the default state and women should cater to it.
    No, it doesn't.

    "the environment they are faced with" by your argument is one in which men are comfortable...
    No, it isn't. I said earlier there's enough overlap in comfortable temperature that some men would find offices too cold, and some women would find them too hot.

    there's absolutely no possible interpretation of your own words that doesn't logically result in your argument being that an office should cater to men's comfort and women should shut up and work around it.
    People who feel cold in the office should wear clothes so they feel less cold. This is because wearing more clothes does not impact professional looks (except positively).


    reality: your first and only thought is that women should change how they dress (an active detriment to their long term career prospects in many cases)
    No. People who feel cold in the office should wear more or warmer clothing. The people most able to do this without any professional compromise are women.

    Also, I don't know what universe you live in wherein wearing warmer clothing detriments women's careers. What is your evidence for this?

    so that men don't have to change how they dress, a thought which you believe has an ontological endpoint requiring that an office caters to the comfort of men.

    which is completely fine, you're free to do that, but don't mistake your misogyny for some kind of logical argument.
    And there it is. I just hate women.

    Bye Felicia.

  10. Top | #10
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,493
    Archived
    3,672
    Total Posts
    5,165
    Rep Power
    54
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolly_Penguin View Post
    It's racist against people from warmer climates too.
    Its actually more against fat people than about being sexist, racist, or against people from warmer climates.

    Fat people ALWAYS stay warmer than skinny people do. As a landlord I always do best when I rent the apartments that have more heat to the skinny people and the ones with good A/C to the fat ones. And it works everytime to please everyone.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •