Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 32

Thread: Young people turning to alternative religions and woo-woo

  1. Top | #21
    Formerly Joedad
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    PA USA
    Posts
    5,107
    Archived
    5,039
    Total Posts
    10,146
    Rep Power
    74
    Quote Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
    Magic and mystery are fun. People not only have no interest in reality, but they deliberately avoid learning about it.
    It's also extremely easy, given the proper environment, of course.

    Not sure if people do such things deliberately. I can recall in my own life and experience doing silly and stupid things that at the time and given conditions were the best I could do. There was nothing deliberate in the sense that I knew what I was doing was wrong. I remember when our 8th grade class voted for presidential candidates and was shocked that I voted for the person that lost. Afterwards I realized what drove my thinking and how stupid it was.

    Yesterday I met a person who was telling me about a problem she had. Technically speaking she was absolutely correct about her complaint. She was not "wrong" but she was what I would call "wrong-headed" which was her real problem. It was her inability to realize that life is not the simple execution of rules, it was her inflexibility and narrow focus that was her source of grief, not things that other people were doing, even though what they were doing was technically "wrong."

    She could have easily turned a negative situation into something constructive but didn't, and could not see that. She seemed so caught up in her emotions. Sure, we are all responsible for our actions, but we don't all possess the same level of awareness, intellect and emotional control.

  2. Top | #22
    Contributor
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    The North
    Posts
    9,147
    Archived
    9,514
    Total Posts
    18,661
    Rep Power
    46
    Quote Originally Posted by T.G.G. Moogly View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
    Magic and mystery are fun. People not only have no interest in reality, but they deliberately avoid learning about it.
    It's also extremely easy, given the proper environment, of course.

    Not sure if people do such things deliberately. I can recall in my own life and experience doing silly and stupid things that at the time and given conditions were the best I could do. There was nothing deliberate in the sense that I knew what I was doing was wrong. I remember when our 8th grade class voted for presidential candidates and was shocked that I voted for the person that lost. Afterwards I realized what drove my thinking and how stupid it was.

    Yesterday I met a person who was telling me about a problem she had. Technically speaking she was absolutely correct about her complaint. She was not "wrong" but she was what I would call "wrong-headed" which was her real problem. It was her inability to realize that life is not the simple execution of rules, it was her inflexibility and narrow focus that was her source of grief, not things that other people were doing, even though what they were doing was technically "wrong."

    She could have easily turned a negative situation into something constructive but didn't, and could not see that. She seemed so caught up in her emotions. Sure, we are all responsible for our actions, but we don't all possess the same level of awareness, intellect and emotional control.
    I agree. Ultimately we're constrained by our knowledge, and our knowledge is constrained by both our ability to learn and what our social inputs have been. That's the physiological part of it.

    Beyond that there's a gravitation to what feels good, and I'm not certain that materialism and it's implications feel good for many people.

    Even in those who accept science as a functioning mechanism there is still a clinging to kind of utopian ideas - 'if we can just get rid of capitalism my life won't be so hard anymore'. Actually, I think it was Dr. Zoidberg who mentioned that Marxism became huge in Sweden with the complete collapse of religion.

    Ultimately, those of us who are unable to control their lives by sheer force and will, will often turn to a kind of mystical / magical thinking to resolve that dissonance. This is why 'teaching it out of them' is a good ideal, but can't resolve the problem.

  3. Top | #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    388
    Archived
    5,525
    Total Posts
    5,913
    Rep Power
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
    Actually, I think it was Dr. Zoidberg who mentioned that Marxism became huge in Sweden with the complete collapse of religion.
    Marxism huge in Sweden? Since when? Newsflash for you, we never belonged to the East Bloc.

    And religion has not "completely collapsed" in Sweden. It is pretty fringe, but it has not collapsed. Unfortunately Zoidberg seems a bit prone to hyperboles.

  4. Top | #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    388
    Archived
    5,525
    Total Posts
    5,913
    Rep Power
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
    Actually, I think it was Dr. Zoidberg who mentioned that Marxism became huge in Sweden with the complete collapse of religion.
    Marxism huge in Sweden? Since when? Newsflash for you, we never belonged to the East Bloc.

    And religion has not "completely collapsed" in Sweden. It is pretty fringe, but it has not collapsed. Unfortunately Zoidberg seems a bit prone to hyperboles.

  5. Top | #25
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    seattle
    Posts
    4,857
    Rep Power
    12
    That is very strange. I thought Sweden, Norway, Denmark, England, France and the rest were all commie socialist fascists. At least that is what the conservatives say. Maybe I was wrong.

    Seriously, from what I rad before the Stalinist abuse became known, in the USA communism was seen as a possible Utopia. Workers living in a workers' paradise. A relief from drab industrialization.

  6. Top | #26
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    388
    Archived
    5,525
    Total Posts
    5,913
    Rep Power
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_bank View Post
    That is very strange. I thought Sweden, Norway, Denmark, England, France and the rest were all commie socialist fascists. At least that is what the conservatives say. Maybe I was wrong.
    Yes, you were wrong.

  7. Top | #27
    Contributor
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    The North
    Posts
    9,147
    Archived
    9,514
    Total Posts
    18,661
    Rep Power
    46
    Quote Originally Posted by Tammuz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
    Actually, I think it was Dr. Zoidberg who mentioned that Marxism became huge in Sweden with the complete collapse of religion.
    Marxism huge in Sweden? Since when? Newsflash for you, we never belonged to the East Bloc.

    And religion has not "completely collapsed" in Sweden. It is pretty fringe, but it has not collapsed. Unfortunately Zoidberg seems a bit prone to hyperboles.
    Yes, I know Sweden never belonged to the Eastern Bloc. That doesn't mean the ideology of socialism can't become dominant among a population. Marx is still even somewhat big in Canada among university educated arts students.

    'If we can just get rid of capitalism my life will stop being hard'

    'If we can just do [x] my life will be easier'

    They're reactions that happen because life is inherently difficult and painful.

  8. Top | #28
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    388
    Archived
    5,525
    Total Posts
    5,913
    Rep Power
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tammuz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
    Actually, I think it was Dr. Zoidberg who mentioned that Marxism became huge in Sweden with the complete collapse of religion.
    Marxism huge in Sweden? Since when? Newsflash for you, we never belonged to the East Bloc.

    And religion has not "completely collapsed" in Sweden. It is pretty fringe, but it has not collapsed. Unfortunately Zoidberg seems a bit prone to hyperboles.
    Yes, I know Sweden never belonged to the Eastern Bloc. That doesn't mean the ideology of socialism can't become dominant among a population. Marx is still even somewhat big in Canada among university educated arts students.

    'If we can just get rid of capitalism my life will stop being hard'

    'If we can just do [x] my life will be easier'

    They're reactions that happen because life is inherently difficult and painful.
    Just because it can be doesn't mean it is dominant. You are engaging in wishful thinking. Of the political parties in our parliament, only the Left Party has socialism as a declared ideology, and they tend to hover below 10% of voter support. And a lot of their voters are dissatisfied social democrats, i.e not socialists.

    Anyone who dreams of abolishing capitalism, not to mention thinking it will actually happen, is out of touch with reality and needs to grow up. A market system is superior to a command economy. The real debate that grown-ups have is how to best optimize it and regulate it to fix the flaws, not abolishing it.

    That arts students in Canada are fond of Marx in completely irrelevant. Their expertise is not in economics, history, or society, or anything relevant to Marx at all. You might just as well claim that creationism is big among Canadian arts students, and it is still as irrelevant, as their expertise is not in biology, geology, etc.

  9. Top | #29
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    4,849
    Rep Power
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by skepticalbip View Post
    the writer of that article doesn't seem to be aware of who Democrat voters actually are. Sure, millennials are predominately Democrat but they are not the majority of Democrat voters. The two largest Democrat voting blocks, blacks and Hispanics, are also the demographics with the highest level of religious dedication. And then both Catholic and Jewish vote is predominately for Democrats.
    A few different issues here.
    First, only about 2% of Dems are Jews and a huge % of them are only ethnically Jewish or very low in their religious adherence. Similarly, a huge % of "Catholics" don't observe, pratice or believe most of what the Bible or the Church says. They check "Catholic" on surveys b/c their moms would get mad if they didn't.
    Second, despite minorities being mostly Dem, because white non-Hispanics comprise 2/3 of the total population and 43% of whites are Dem, a slight majority of Dems are white, and significantly outnumber any other single ethnic group.
    Third, not only are many Millennials black or Hispanic, but they are actually disproportionately so, because of differences in birth rates making younger generations increasingly non-white. Like their white Millennials counterparts, minority Millennials are also shedding the formal religions of their parents.


    People choose political parties for many reasons and I would think that religion is one of the minor reasons.
    Religion is less a factor in party choice for racial minorities, because one of the parties is so racist and hostile to them, they have little choice but to side with the Dems even when their religious values are somewhat more aligned with the GOP.

    This same factor does impact white voters to some degree, b/c racists choose the GOP for the same reason that minorities reject it, while that pushes non-racists whites toward the Dems. But among whites, religion is still a huge factor b/c Christianity is close bedfellows with intolerant bigotry. In fact, religious blacks and Hispanics are more bigoted against homosexuals. And white religious people are more racist, homophobic, and misogynist, b/c the Bible and religious traditions provide cover and encouragement of such views. These are the "traditional values" that Republicans love to go on about. They are also anti-thetical to classic liberal values. So, whites who reject traditional religion will tend to reject the GOP, while whites who embrace traditional religion will tend to embrace the party that not only seeks to make Christianity the foundation of the government, but more generally shares the "traditional values" of intolerant bigotry that is inherent to Abrahamic monotheism.

  10. Top | #30
    Contributor
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    The North
    Posts
    9,147
    Archived
    9,514
    Total Posts
    18,661
    Rep Power
    46
    Quote Originally Posted by Tammuz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rousseau View Post

    Yes, I know Sweden never belonged to the Eastern Bloc. That doesn't mean the ideology of socialism can't become dominant among a population. Marx is still even somewhat big in Canada among university educated arts students.

    'If we can just get rid of capitalism my life will stop being hard'

    'If we can just do [x] my life will be easier'

    They're reactions that happen because life is inherently difficult and painful.
    Just because it can be doesn't mean it is dominant. You are engaging in wishful thinking. Of the political parties in our parliament, only the Left Party has socialism as a declared ideology, and they tend to hover below 10% of voter support. And a lot of their voters are dissatisfied social democrats, i.e not socialists.

    Anyone who dreams of abolishing capitalism, not to mention thinking it will actually happen, is out of touch with reality and needs to grow up. A market system is superior to a command economy. The real debate that grown-ups have is how to best optimize it and regulate it to fix the flaws, not abolishing it.

    That arts students in Canada are fond of Marx in completely irrelevant. Their expertise is not in economics, history, or society, or anything relevant to Marx at all. You might just as well claim that creationism is big among Canadian arts students, and it is still as irrelevant, as their expertise is not in biology, geology, etc.
    You may be right. I really don't know anything about Swedish history or culture, I'm just going off of what I heard from Dr. Zoidberg.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •