Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Is Carl Sagan's description of ancient history correct or incorrect?

1. Top | #31
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_bank View Post
    The post war American political ideology has been if we but make the right decisions in foreign policy we can make things turn out our way. Constantly proven wrong. Yet we still believe it in our mid east foreign policy.

If it had not been FDR and Churchill would the Brits and Americans have been as motivated and strong at the darkest times?The Japanese failed to destroy the dry docks and fuel stores at Pearl Harbor out of fear of being ambushed by our carriers.

Some agued it cost Japan the war. The Yorktown had ben severally damaged but was repaired sufficiently to join the task force at Midway. Three American carriers instead of two. The Japanese thought Yorktown had been sunk and expected only two carriers.

If the opposing fleets were on slightly different courses and speeds the Japanese may have found us first.

If the code breakers had not figured out Midway was a target who knows.

A long list of what ifs. It comes down to historical conditions lining up with an individual. Napoleon.
    Or two individuals: Nelson and Wellington. And two others beside these: Alexander I and Kutuzov (Mikhail Illarion Golenishchev-Kutuzov Graf von Smolensk)

2. Top | #32
    Quote Originally Posted by T.G.G. Moogly View Post
    Even his novel Contact was decidedly anti-woo.
    And yet it left room for an afterlife of sorts. (At least in the movie. I didn't read the book.)

3. Top | #33
    Archived
    Total Posts
    As to Carl Sagan having once claimed that there may be life on Venus, I think that some of you are taking this issue WAY too seriously. Before Mariner 2, there were at least four main theories of what Venus's surface was like: a tropical jungle, an ocean of water, an ocean of hydrocarbons, and a desert.

The first one includes habitability, and the second one includes the possibility of habitability. The third and fourth ones are very iffy about habitability.

So Carl Sagan speculating about life on Venus would not have been anything unusual.

4. Top | #34
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I think that was the Venera project, Venera 9 being the first to orbit the planet, I think. Mariner was Mars.