Page 10 of 44 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 439

Thread: Hollywood "Goes Woke" Again and Casts Black Woman as 007

  1. Top | #91
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Canberra, Australia
    Posts
    3,572
    Archived
    10,974
    Total Posts
    14,546
    Rep Power
    50
    Quote Originally Posted by Patooka View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Metaphor View Post
    When Ian Fleming's other franchise Chitty Chitty Bang Bang gets a reimaginng as a (gay) Toyota Prius, I'm stopping the world and getting off.
    What about a gender queer Tesla? Is this the hill you want to die on?
    It was a joke.

  2. Top | #92
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Canberra, Australia
    Posts
    3,572
    Archived
    10,974
    Total Posts
    14,546
    Rep Power
    50
    Quote Originally Posted by Koyaanisqatsi View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gun Nut View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ZiprHead View Post

    Prove it.

    By my calculations, to have lost 70 million because of advertising and promotion and using the documented figures above, that means the advertising and promotion cost 303 million. Really?
    that would be about the cost of 3 minutes of Superbowl commercial time... so, ya, really.
    Once again people that aren't in the movie industry spouting out their asses about the movie industry.*

    The fact that the AUDIENCE box office was massive proves that the movie was well received and popular. The fact that the studio idiotically spent waaaaaaaaay too much fucking money on the marketing proves that their marketing department should all have been fired.

    The two have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH EACH OTHER.

    Yes, the studio is fucked, because they are the ones who let their marketing department spend that much money and as a result they lost millions. Becuase of the marketing, not because the movie wasn't well received. We know the movie was well received because the box office returned nearly 50% on the cost of making the movie.

    If you owned a stock that made a 50% return on your investment, you'd die of happiness. If you stupidly spent 150% of the initial investment telling everyone you bought this really great stock that you think is going to do really really well, then you're a fucking moron who doesn't know how to market something effectively.

    ETA: *Sorry, pet peeve.
    The box office was partly a function of the marketing budget, unless you believe marketing has no effect whatsoever, in which case you should run a consulting firm telling Hollywood what idiots they are.

    But if you're gonna "deduct" the marketing budget from your mental accounting, then you ought also deduct the box office dollars that resulted from it.

  3. Top | #93
    Contributor
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    South Pole
    Posts
    9,726
    Archived
    3,444
    Total Posts
    13,170
    Rep Power
    70
    Given the recent history of remakes and sequels to classic films exploiting gender politics and using it as an excuse to make bad films and to hide behind criticism from, I understand the concern. But for all we know right now the new 007 could be an amazing character that goes along with James Bond and the James Bond universe perfectly and the story could be great. We will have to wait and see. Let's not prejudge.

  4. Top | #94
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    2,172
    Archived
    1,250
    Total Posts
    3,422
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Koyaanisqatsi View Post

    No one says the things you keep insisting are sayings. Stop it. You aren't a trend setter and never will be.



    First of all, the Ghostbusters remake only lost money because the studio spent waaaaaaaaay too much money on marketing. The film itself cost $144 million to make and grossed $229 million worldwide.

    Second, wtf has one to do with the other?

    This is obvious pandering.
    First of all, what do you think show business has always been? Always. Even when we've had "new waves" the studio system was simply pandering to audience trends. Always and forever.

    Secondly, so what if it is? Do you think "pandering" to what an audience wants is some sort of taboo naughtiness? Oh, right, you don't think. You just regurgitate what is forced down your throat.
    https://www.urbandictionary.com/defi...C%20Go%20Broke

    "Get Woke, Go Broke" is a phrase coined by the internationally bestselling author John Ringo to express the opinion that when organizations "get woke" to politically correct actions, those same actions usually result in a massive loss of income.

    Besides, don't you atheists love George Carlin? He was massively against political correctness. Would you say he was a racist?

  5. Top | #95
    The Doctor's Wife RavenSky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Miami, Florida
    Posts
    10,705
    Archived
    11,804
    Total Posts
    22,509
    Rep Power
    45
    Quote Originally Posted by Ford View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Arctish View Post

    We finally agree on something.

    I do not play video games.
    Too bad.
    HL should probably not watch the first episode of the new season of Black Mirror. It'll make his head explode.

  6. Top | #96
    The Doctor's Wife RavenSky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Miami, Florida
    Posts
    10,705
    Archived
    11,804
    Total Posts
    22,509
    Rep Power
    45
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Higgins View Post
    Okay, so 26 films with a chauvanistic womanizing white guy (with several of the last ones not being that good) and now 1 film without it...

    ... OMFG! It is the end times!

    I could understand this wasn't about white male pride if it weren't for all the other mixed race/gender adaptations that led to similar whining and gnashing of teeth. Heck, Captain Marvel has been a woman for a while in the comics, and people still whined about it... and Black Panther was always black... and people whined about that.

    People: I'm tired of the same formula of Bond.
    Bond Producers: Okay, we are changing it up.
    People: OMFG... Bond gone woke! This is so wrong!
    Well... I wouldn't count Half-Life as "people" who say "OMFG... Bond gone woke! This is so wrong!"

  7. Top | #97
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    2,172
    Archived
    1,250
    Total Posts
    3,422
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by RavenSky View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ford View Post

    HL should probably not watch the first episode of the new season of Black Mirror. It'll make his head explode.
    I have seen that. Disgusting episode.

  8. Top | #98
    The Doctor's Wife RavenSky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Miami, Florida
    Posts
    10,705
    Archived
    11,804
    Total Posts
    22,509
    Rep Power
    45
    Quote Originally Posted by Trausti View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolly_Penguin View Post
    They should remake Wonder Woman as a trans woman.
    They should do Wonder Man. But everyone would think it a joke.
    Make sure it's a white man, and call it "Wonder Bread"

  9. Top | #99
    Elder Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Located 100 miles east of A in America
    Posts
    24,554
    Archived
    42,473
    Total Posts
    67,027
    Rep Power
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by RavenSky View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Trausti View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolly_Penguin View Post
    They should remake Wonder Woman as a trans woman.
    They should do Wonder Man. But everyone would think it a joke.
    Make sure it's a white man, and call it "Wonder Bread"
    Yes, they need to do Wonder Man! Because there just aren't any male super heroes.

  10. Top | #100
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    2,172
    Archived
    1,250
    Total Posts
    3,422
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by RavenSky View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Higgins View Post
    Okay, so 26 films with a chauvanistic womanizing white guy (with several of the last ones not being that good) and now 1 film without it...

    ... OMFG! It is the end times!

    I could understand this wasn't about white male pride if it weren't for all the other mixed race/gender adaptations that led to similar whining and gnashing of teeth. Heck, Captain Marvel has been a woman for a while in the comics, and people still whined about it... and Black Panther was always black... and people whined about that.

    People: I'm tired of the same formula of Bond.
    Bond Producers: Okay, we are changing it up.
    People: OMFG... Bond gone woke! This is so wrong!
    Well... I wouldn't count Half-Life as "people" who say "OMFG... Bond gone woke! This is so wrong!"
    All the youtube comments who were trashing it means nothing, right? Those are REAL PEOPLE with real opinions and they all agreed it was stupid. But of course, you guys think that means nothing. If I pull up a Richard Dawkins video and it says 5,000 likes and lets say 500 dislikes you would be like "smart people." Don't lie. You would.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •