Thread: Hollywood "Goes Woke" Again and Casts Black Woman as 007

1. Top | #101
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Half-Life View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RavenSky View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ford View Post

HL should probably not watch the first episode of the new season of Black Mirror. It'll make his head explode.
    I have seen that. Disgusting episode.
    You are so full of it.

2. Top | #102
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolly_Penguin View Post
    Given the recent history of remakes and sequels to classic films exploiting gender politics and using it as an excuse to make bad films and to hide behind criticism from, I understand the concern. But for all we know right now the new 007 could be an amazing character that goes along with James Bond and the James Bond universe perfectly and the story could be great. We will have to wait and see. Let's not prejudge.
    Yeah, I don't object to people trying to make money by tapping into the stream of wokeitude. This is America.

3. Top | #103
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Higgins View Post

I have seen that. Disgusting episode.
    You are so full of it.
    I have seen it. 2 black guys having sex in a video game with their fighting characters. Very weird, very stupid, very disgusting.

4. Top | #104
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dismal View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolly_Penguin View Post
    Given the recent history of remakes and sequels to classic films exploiting gender politics and using it as an excuse to make bad films and to hide behind criticism from, I understand the concern. But for all we know right now the new 007 could be an amazing character that goes along with James Bond and the James Bond universe perfectly and the story could be great. We will have to wait and see. Let's not prejudge.
    Yeah, I don't object to people trying to make money by tapping into the stream of wokeitude. This is America.
    It's like all the companies who claim they support pride month. They don't give 2 craps about LGBTQ. They just pander to them to get their money. They disguise the pandering as "we support your rights!" That's why everyone (even gay people) dislike pride month.

5. Top | #105
    The Sunshine State: The one with Crocs, not Gators
    Archived
    Total Posts
    The Bond movies have always been significant departures from their source material. As touched on briefly up-thread, the first movie Bond was a bloody Scotsman. After that, anything goes.

The plot of Moonraker is that the British government are working on a nuclear armed ballistic missile, somewhere on the English east coast. The team of experts who are tasked with building the rocket all have huge beards and moustaches, and Bond realises that they are actually Nazis, using their remarkable facial hair as disguses, so that they can reprogram the missile so that it's test launch into tbe North Sea instead destroys London, as revenge for the defeat of the Third Reich.

If you have only seen the movie, you may not recognise some of the finer details of this plot as having made it into the film. But that's the actual plot of Moonraker as written by Ian Fleming. Cubby Broccoli seems to have felt that Scunthorpe wasn't a sufficiently exotic location for his movie, so he changed a couple of minor details.

At least they didn't change Bond into a Scotsman for that one

6. Top | #106
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Higgins View Post
    Okay, so 26 films with a chauvanistic womanizing white guy (with several of the last ones not being that good) and now 1 film without it...

... OMFG! It is the end times!

I could understand this wasn't about white male pride if it weren't for all the other mixed race/gender adaptations that led to similar whining and gnashing of teeth. Heck, Captain Marvel has been a woman for a while in the comics, and people still whined about it... and Black Panther was always black... and people whined about that.

People: I'm tired of the same formula of Bond.
    Bond Producers: Okay, we are changing it up.
    People: OMFG... Bond gone woke! This is so wrong!
    Well... I wouldn't count Half-Life as "people" who say "OMFG... Bond gone woke! This is so wrong!"
    All the youtube comments who were trashing it means nothing, right? Those are REAL PEOPLE with real opinions and they all agreed it was stupid. But of course, you guys think that means nothing. If I pull up a Richard Dawkins video and it says 5,000 likes and lets say 500 dislikes you would be like "smart people." Don't lie. You would.
    You clearly don't know me as well as you think.

I met Richard Dawkins.

I don't like Richard Dawkins.

As such, if you tried to prove your point to me using a Richard Dawkins video, you would lose because I wouldn't care who said what about him.

As for your weird argumentum ad populum, whether they are "REAL PEOPLE with real opinions" or just half-life's like you is immaterial. That some people think the earth is flat is immaterial to the fact it is not.

Moreover, your hysterical cohorts on YouTube haven't even SEEN the movie yet, so their "real opinions" are based on their real misogynistic biases, not anything about the currently unfinished movie production.

7. Top | #107
    The Sunshine State: The one with Crocs, not Gators
    Archived
    Total Posts
    H-L seems to be living in an alternate reality where they cast a black woman as James Bond; But in fact they just cast a black woman as 007 - James Bond is still a white man (though bizarrely he likely still has scottish roots - it's a travesty).

8. Top | #108
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts

All the youtube comments who were trashing it means nothing, right? Those are REAL PEOPLE with real opinions and they all agreed it was stupid. But of course, you guys think that means nothing. If I pull up a Richard Dawkins video and it says 5,000 likes and lets say 500 dislikes you would be like "smart people." Don't lie. You would.
    You clearly don't know me as well as you think.

I met Richard Dawkins.

I don't like Richard Dawkins.

As such, if you tried to prove your point to me using a Richard Dawkins video, you would lose because I wouldn't care who said what about him.

As for your weird argumentum ad populum, whether they are "REAL PEOPLE with real opinions" or just half-life's like you is immaterial. That some people think the earth is flat is immaterial to the fact it is not.

Moreover, your hysterical cohorts on YouTube haven't even SEEN the movie yet, so their "real opinions" are based on their real misogynistic biases, not anything about the currently unfinished movie production.
    There were comments like "I'm a black woman and this is blatant pandering for scoring woke points" and that comment got tons of likes. So, it certainly can't be about misogyny if they agree with a black woman.

9. Top | #109
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Criticizing the movie before you see the movie or know anything about the script is pure ignorance.

10. Top | #110
    Archived
    Total Posts
    There were comments like "I'm a black woman and this is blatant pandering for scoring woke points" and that comment got tons of likes. So, it certainly can't be about misogyny if they agree with a black woman.
    You mean it was someone pretending to be a black woman so they could make a phony argumentum ab auctoritate