Page 16 of 44 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: Hollywood "Goes Woke" Again and Casts Black Woman as 007

1. Top | #151
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ruby sparks View Post
    I still don't understand what your objection is.
    That it seems that white male long-standing characters have become unacceptable to Hollywood and thus must be changed. Male Ghostbusters? Naw. White male 007? No way. Male Doctor? Can't have that.
    But it's only a one way street.

2. Top | #152
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Why do I have this feeling that, if they were of age when it happened, HL and Derec would have railed against the interracial kiss between Captain Kirk and Uhura on Star Trek?

"Why is it that white and black relations are being shoved down our throats?"

3. Top | #153
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Half-Life View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ford View Post

He's smart enough to know that his target audience is made up of complete idiots. It's actually kind of a sweet gig. Find a bunch of idiots, tell them how to think, and rake in the bucks.
    Why doesn't that also apply to the left?
    It does. See Cenk Uyger of the Young Turks.

4. Top | #154
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bilby View Post
    Doctor Who is not a woman. Doctor Who is not a man. Doctor Who is a fucking Timelord from the planet Gallifrey. It's established canon that this species changes in appearance quite radically; And that although they appear superficially similar to humans, their physiology is very different.

Frankly I am shocked and disgusted that the BBC has consistently cast mono-cardiac actors in the role. Shame on them.
    "Doctor Who" is not a person. Its a question. The character is The Doctor.

5. Top | #155
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Derec View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Higgins View Post
    and Black Panther was always black...
    If changing race of characters is such a great thing, why not have a White Panther take over from Black Panther as ruler of Wakanda in the next movie?
    They should just appoint the White Wolf as Royal Steward while Shuri is being tested for worthiness of being the next Black Panther.

Why go looking for another white hero when Bucky's right there in Wakanda.

6. Top | #156
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ford View Post
    Why do I have this feeling that, [
    Because your feelings are nothing but unjustified prejudices against fellow posters.

if they were of age when it happened, HL and Derec would have railed against the interracial kiss between Captain Kirk and Uhura on Star Trek?
    I have nothing against interracial relationships, and that issue has nothing to do with changing the identity of the characters to suit some political correctness.

One thing wrong with that kiss though was that Shatner butted in and changed it from the intended Spock/Uhura kiss because he needed to be in the center of everything.
    The reboot set it straight.

7. Top | #157
    That it seems that white male long-standing characters have become unacceptable to Hollywood and thus must be changed. Male Ghostbusters? Naw. White male 007? No way. Male Doctor? Can't have that.
    But part of the reason for that is that white (straight) men were (and still are) way over-represented, especially in 'big', mainstream US movies, as protagonists or leads, and for numbers of speaking parts and amount of dialogue, etc, etc (not to mention as directors and producers and so on). So it's a natural correction from a situation of imbalance. If something is already imbalanced, the shift, if it's to be progressive, is naturally going to be in the direction of correcting that, not the other way.

8. Top | #158
    Archived
    Total Posts
    But part of the reason for that is that white men were (and still are) way over-represented, especially in 'big', mainstream US movies, as protagonists or leads, for numbers of speaking parts and amount of dialogue, etc, etc (not to mention as directors and producers and so on). So it's a natural correction from a situation of imbalance. If something is already imbalanced, the shift, if it's to be progressive, is naturally going to be in the direction of correcting that, not the other way.
    It's almost like you're saying that women are literally half of the audience, and it makes good business sense to represent them equally.

Don't you see how that's inherently unfair?! #sarcasm

9. Top | #159
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bilby View Post
    The Bond movies have always been significant departures from their source material. As touched on briefly up-thread, the first movie Bond was a bloody Scotsman. After that, anything goes.

The plot of Moonraker is that the British government are working on a nuclear armed ballistic missile, somewhere on the English east coast. The team of experts who are tasked with building the rocket all have huge beards and moustaches, and Bond realises that they are actually Nazis, using their remarkable facial hair as disguses, so that they can reprogram the missile so that it's test launch into tbe North Sea instead destroys London, as revenge for the defeat of the Third Reich.

If you have only seen the movie, you may not recognise some of the finer details of this plot as having made it into the film. But that's the actual plot of Moonraker as written by Ian Fleming. Cubby Broccoli seems to have felt that Scunthorpe wasn't a sufficiently exotic location for his movie, so he changed a couple of minor details.

At least they didn't change Bond into a Scotsman for that one
    And they stole the "cheating at the club" card game from Moonraker, made it a backgammon cheat at the club in Octopussy....

10. Top | #160
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RavenSky View Post

All the youtube comments who were trashing it means nothing, right? Those are REAL PEOPLE with real opinions and they all agreed it was stupid. But of course, you guys think that means nothing. If I pull up a Richard Dawkins video and it says 5,000 likes and lets say 500 dislikes you would be like "smart people." Don't lie. You would.
    You clearly don't know me as well as you think.

I met Richard Dawkins.

I don't like Richard Dawkins.

As such, if you tried to prove your point to me using a Richard Dawkins video, you would lose because I wouldn't care who said what about him.

As for your weird argumentum ad populum, whether they are "REAL PEOPLE with real opinions" or just half-life's like you is immaterial. That some people think the earth is flat is immaterial to the fact it is not.

Moreover, your hysterical cohorts on YouTube haven't even SEEN the movie yet, so their "real opinions" are based on their real misogynistic biases, not anything about the currently unfinished movie production.
    There were comments like "I'm a black woman and this is blatant pandering for scoring woke points" and that comment got tons of likes. So, it certainly can't be about misogyny if they agree with a black woman.
    How sure are you that the comment realy was from a black woman? My wife is a black woman and doesn't really givevtwo shits who they cast, not until she sees the movie herself...
    On the other hand people like Half-Life are saying it is pandering, and not above pretending to be black to try to give their opinion credibility. I mean, you already put YOUR words into Jesus' mouth, right?