Page 26 of 44 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Thread: Hollywood "Goes Woke" Again and Casts Black Woman as 007

1. Top | #251
    Super Moderator
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolly_Penguin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Sawyer View Post
    Are you trying to say that The Force Awakens would have brought in even more money if Rey had been a guy?
    No. You asked that already regarding Doctor Who and I also said no. That's not the point.

It actually may have made considerably less money had Rey been male, because the producers wouldn't be able to duck from criticism behind her/his gender, and people would hear the criticism and maybe skip the movie rather than go see the movie thinking all the criticts were just sexist incels.
    OK, at this point I have no idea whatsoever what it is that you're trying to argue.

As I read this post, you seem to be saying that the movie studios have found a way to attract new audiences for their products by promoting leading female roles and increasing the revenue they receive as a result. You are then ... decrying this as a bad thing?

If that is the case, then it would seem to me that they've successfully identified an unfilled want in the market and created a product to cater to that want in the name of maximizing profit for their company. Was there some kind of second thing which you feel they should have done instead?

You appear to be having an objection to what they're doing, but I don't particularly know what your objection is.

2. Top | #252
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith&Co. View Post
    What about the Wicked Witch of the West? Witches can be men or women, traditionally, though everyone thinks the split is witch/warlock. For some reason, I can't stop thinking of Eddie Izzard in green make-up with Forest Green eyebrows...
    "I want the ruby slippers! My sister's ruby slippers!"
    "They're not your size!"
    "They're magic, bitch! They're everyone's size!"
    You know? I screwed this up. Should be:

"I want my sister's ruby slippers! Those are MY ruby slippers!"
    "They're not your size!"
    "Bitch, you're not Cinderella! Anyone can use the slippers!"

3. Top | #253
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    What about the Wicked Witch of the West? Witches can be men or women, traditionally, though everyone thinks the split is witch/warlock. For some reason, I can't stop thinking of Eddie Izzard in green make-up with Forest Green eyebrows...
    "They're not your size!"

"They're not your size!"
    No where near enough banter there for Izzard.

"I want my sister's ruby slippers!"
    "Who are you?"
    "I'm a witch."
    "You look like a guy in drag."
    "No, a fabulous guy in drag. Now, give me those shoes."
    "They won't fit you."
    "Eh........yes they will."
    "No, look at your feet, they are clearly too big."
    "Look, if I could fit into this outfit, I can squeeze into those shoes."
    "The red will clash with your green skin."
    "What are you... the fashion police... "

etc...

4. Top | #254
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Higgins View Post
    "They're not your size!"

"They're not your size!"
    No where near enough banter there for Izzard.

"I want my sister's ruby slippers!"
    "Who are you?"
    "I'm a witch."
    "You look like a guy in drag."
    "No, a fabulous guy in drag. Now, give me those shoes."
    "They won't fit you."
    "Eh........yes they will."
    "No, look at your feet, they are clearly too big."
    "Look, if I could fit into this outfit, I can squeeze into those shoes."
    "The red will clash with your green skin."
    "What are you... the fashion police... "

etc...
    "Look, let me try them on. If you're right, if they don't fit, I'll give them back to you."
    "So, you want me to let you put the tip in? Auntie Em warned me about that one."

5. Top | #255
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marc View Post

Did he go trans to she or is this a new character with the same name? Thor is a Norse God. Seems weird to gender change Thor instead of a Marvel made character.
    Nick Fury told Thor a deep secret that made him 'unworthy' so he couldn't hold the hammer anymore. His former girlfriend Jane Foster picked it up saying there always needs to be a Thor. She kept her identity a secret, and no one suspected because Jane was dying from cancer, looking like she couldn't pick up a spoon, let alone a hammer. She stopped being Thor over a year ago, her cancer might have been cured, I don't remember. Thor is himself again, though his hammer was destroyed.
    Thor is actually worthy again now, and was able to wield a reforged Mjolnir during the War of the Realms, but he also lost his eye, and nailed himself to Yggdrasil in the process. Afterwards, Odin stepped down as All-father, and named Thor as his successor. So Thor is not only worthy, he is now the All-father of a mostly devastated Asgard. Also during the War of the Realms, Jane Foster took up the hammer of the War Thor, and it was destroyed while she was wielding it, fusing with her. She can now will it to take the form of any weapon she requires. Valkyrie (all of the Valkyries, actually) was (were) killed during the War of the Realms as well, and Jane Foster is now the new Valkyrie, having been named as such by the spirits of all of the deceased Valkyries, and her cancer was cured previous to all of those events.

6. Top | #256
    Super Moderator
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepTalking View Post

Did he go trans to she or is this a new character with the same name? Thor is a Norse God. Seems weird to gender change Thor instead of a Marvel made character.
    Nick Fury told Thor a deep secret that made him 'unworthy' so he couldn't hold the hammer anymore. His former girlfriend Jane Foster picked it up saying there always needs to be a Thor. She kept her identity a secret, and no one suspected because Jane was dying from cancer, looking like she couldn't pick up a spoon, let alone a hammer. She stopped being Thor over a year ago, her cancer might have been cured, I don't remember. Thor is himself again, though his hammer was destroyed.
    Thor is actually worthy again now, and was able to wield a reforged Mjolnir during the War of the Realms, but he also lost his eye, and nailed himself to Yggdrasil in the process. Afterwards, Odin stepped down as All-father, and named Thor as his successor. So Thor is not only worthy, he is now the All-father of a mostly devastated Asgard. Also during the War of the Realms, Jane Foster took up the hammer of the War Thor, and it was destroyed while she was wielding it, fusing with her. She can now will it to take the form of any weapon she requires. Valkyrie (all of the Valkyries, actually) was (were) killed during the War of the Realms as well, and Jane Foster is now the new Valkyrie, having been named as such by the spirits of all of the deceased Valkyries, and her cancer was cured previous to all of those events.
    Well, having it turn into any weapon she wants could be useful because she could just make it a gun and shoot people with it.

7. Top | #257
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepTalking View Post

Damn! I'm missing a few issues of the War of the Realms. Gonna have to track some of those down.

Thor lost an eye now? He already lost an arm. Next he can loose his legs and become the Bionic God.

8. Top | #258
    The new 007 film will hopefully not be such a case.
    Or as you put it, maybe it will turn out to be a surprise. Which is pretty much what you said about Dr Who being a woman. In both cases, before it happened.

I still don't get why you think it would be a surprise if a woman successfully takes over a role previously held by a man.

The issue of whether in some cases, unsuccessful makers who have hired 'right on' actors for PC reasons defend their films by citing supposed sexism or other discrimination rather than admit the film is just of low quality, seems to me to be getting away from the point, even if true.

And also, who says the new Dr Who is no good, or not doing well? I've seen figures that suggest it's doing above-averagely well compared to previous seasons.

9. Top | #259
    Quote Originally Posted by ruby sparks View Post
    I don't think it's as simple as that, but I'm rushed here and have to go....
    Well, how's this. Has James Bond, in any movie, been there just to carry the bag for the hero?
    He has occasionally recruited assistants and allies, but he's always been the one driving the effort. Never been the spotter for someone else to sniper the bad guy, or cleaned up like Felix after someone else murders and screws their way through Mayfair.
    I don't understand your point. Perhaps I was unclear earlier. I meant that I don't think it's as simple as saying that the new actor is not playing Bond. Technically, she's not, obviously. He's in the film. But in a subtle way, she sort of is, it seems (not having seen the film, I could be wrong). If you already knew that's what I was trying to say, and your point relates to that, maybe I'm just missing it.

Maybe I'm being affected by the hype, the suggestions that a woman is taking over as no. 1. Maybe Daniel Craig's part as Bond is still the main protagonist? I mean, it's still being called a 'Bond Film', so maybe Lashana Lynch's part is limited or secondary, despite her inheriting the 007 number. Or maybe it'll be shared, with both of them equally emerging as the hero/heroine who saves the day. That's my guess.

10. Top | #260
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruby
    The issue of whether in some cases, unsuccessful makers who have hired 'right on' actors for PC reasons defend their films by citing supposed sexism or other discrimination rather than admit the film is just of low quality, seems to me to be getting away from the point, even if true.
    No, that's not getting away from the point. That is my point. It's just not the point you want me to be making so you can attack me. They bring in additional viewers with PC virtue signalling and then they turn on them and call them racist / sexist if they don't enjoy the film. They have a ready made diversion and excuse for doing a bad job, and often they don't seem to make much of an effort as a result. No, this is not done with every film where a strong female role is the main character, or where a woman takes over what has been a male character, but it is done with enough of them for there to be a trend, and it is understandable that people may be weary.

I'm not interested in your games. If you can't or refuse to understand this, that's fine. If you need to brand me sexist for writing the above, that's fine too. Your opinion of me means very little to me. Off you go.