Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Canada's new Air Passenger Protection Rules

1. Top | #11
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gun Nut View Post
    I never understood why the airline industry was the only one allowed to sell a product they do not own. They sell more seats on planes that they have, which is why "bumping" happens at all (except in very rare cases where they need to transport a backup pilot for regulatory reasons - like a delay due to weather disqualified the scheduled pilot and new one was needed for compliance).
    That's fraud. There is not one penny of loss due to a ticketed passenger not showing up... they pay for their ticket up front whether their ass is in the seat or not.
    It's not fraud because they inform the buyer of the possibility upon purchase.

2. Top | #12
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolly_Penguin View Post
    Its overblown and will be use as an excuse by the airlines to raise prices. Maybe if you could somehow get price control on the airlines I would agree with you, but that isn't going to happen. The end effect is I pay more for my tickets and very likely gain nothing for it since the odds of me being bumped from a flight due to them overselling is very small. The odds of my baggage being damaged or lost is pretty much zero since I only bring carry on.
    Many airlines charge extra for checked baggage. You won't incur that cost if you fly an airline that has a separate fee for checked baggage.

3. Top | #13
    Archived
    Total Posts
    It is wasteful to have a plane with empty seats. Overbooking reduces the number of empty seats because there are almost always no-shows. Fewer tickets sold per plane means price increase and more empty seats. Simple supply reduction situation leading to higher prices. Also means more fossil fuel burned and resources wasted on airlines adding additional planes and flights. I wouldn't be surprised if Boeing and Airbus were supporting this stupid law as they stand to gain from it.

Way to do your part on carbon emission reductions, Canada.

4. Top | #14
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Axulus View Post
    I never understood why the airline industry was the only one allowed to sell a product they do not own. They sell more seats on planes that they have, which is why "bumping" happens at all (except in very rare cases where they need to transport a backup pilot for regulatory reasons - like a delay due to weather disqualified the scheduled pilot and new one was needed for compliance).
    That's fraud. There is not one penny of loss due to a ticketed passenger not showing up... they pay for their ticket up front whether their ass is in the seat or not.
    It's not fraud because they inform the buyer of the possibility upon purchase.
    In the tiniest of print.

5. Top | #15
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Its overblown and will be use as an excuse by the airlines to raise prices. Maybe if you could somehow get price control on the airlines I would agree with you, but that isn't going to happen. The end effect is I pay more for my tickets and very likely gain nothing for it since the odds of me being bumped from a flight due to them overselling is very small. The odds of my baggage being damaged or lost is pretty much zero since I only bring carry on.
    It's not an excuse. This law will reduce the number of tickets available for sale for each flight from Canada. Reduced supply of a good inevitably leads to higher prices. Economics 101.

6. Top | #16
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Many airlines charge extra for checked baggage. You won't incur that cost if you fly an airline that has a separate fee for checked baggage.
    Flights from Canada to Asia without checked baggage included are very very rare, if they exist at all. I would guess the same goes for any flight from one side of the planet to the other. They do have optional additional baggage, and local flights within Asia charge extra for baggage (and I presume that's also the case within Canada, but I don't fly locally here).

7. Top | #17
    Veteran Member
    It's not an excuse. This law will reduce the number of tickets available for sale for each flight from Canada. Reduced supply of a good inevitably leads to higher prices. Economics 101.
    The tickets are not the goods (those would be receipts)... the goods are the seats, and the number of them is unchanged.

8. Top | #18
    Archived
    Total Posts
    The tickets are not the goods (those would be receipts)... the goods are the seats, and the number of them is unchanged.
    False. The tickets are what are being sold in the marketplace (which have conditions). The number available for sale will be reduced in Canada since airlines selling tickets there will overbook far fewer seats due to the government penalties, which means fewer tickets available to purchase, leading to price increases as a result of the reduced supply. More seats will also be empty due to the ineviatable no-shows on most flights. Basic logic and economics.

9. Top | #19
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts

False. The tickets are what are being sold in the marketplace (which have conditions). The number available for sale will be reduced in Canada since airlines selling tickets there will overbook far fewer seats due to the government penalties, which means fewer tickets available to purchase, leading to price increases as a result of the reduced supply. More seats will also be empty due to the ineviatable no-shows on most flights. Basic logic and economics.
    Or, in order to sell actual seats, they'll need to lower prices closer to departure because they can't repeatedly sell the same seat, so they need to concentrate on selling seats that remain open.

10. Top | #20
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    How early/late do people typically cancel? People who simply don't show up for their flight will leave empty seats with no chance to fill them. Or will this mean flying standby will become more of a thing again?

If I show up when I want to fly and just sit around day after day, will a seat now open up and be mine for cheap?