Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boston things

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. Top | #1

Boston things

Hello everyone! I'm going to be doing some traveling in Massachusetts and Connecticut on family business for the next week or so, and though my weekdays are tied up, the first weekend in Boston MA is mine to explore. Given two free days, what would those of you familiar with the town suggest that I do? I've never north of New York before let alone to Boston, and have plans to visit the historical walk with all the museums on at least one of those days. But I am open to interesting experiences be they usual or unusual. My partner and I like historical arguments, playing frisbee with dogs, navigating unfamiliar mass transit systems, critiquing grand engineering feats, and taking overly long walks.

2. Top | #2
    Archived
    Total Posts
    For good New England seafood, I recommend the Union Oyster House, which has been serving since 1848. At any rate they were good the last time I ate there, which was 50 years ago. I also like Concord, where you can stand on the "rude bridge that arched the flood". Concord has a lot of history - Walden Pond and more, like Thoreau, Emerson, the Alcott house, etc.

3. Top | #3
    Cyborg with a Tiara
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I grew up in Concord (pronounced “CON-kid,” never “conCORD,” that’s an airplane) and yes it has some great sightseeing - a full day’s worth between the Old North Bridge and the Manor overlooking it, Nathaniel Hawthornes’s house, Alcott House, Author’s ridge graveyard, Walden Pond and nearby Lexington attraction Minuteman National Park.

If you like the beach then Cape Cod is a delight and there is a long bike trail, I expect you can rent bikes to enjoy it, you can ride to beaches and views. With the first gay-friendly city, Provincetown (P-Town) at the end. You can take a ferry there from Boston.

On the North Shore near Gloucester (pronounced “glaw-stuh”) there is great off-the-boat seafood and the delightfully shallow Wingaersheek Beach which is great for frisbee at low tide due to the acres of flat sand. There used to be a clothing-optional beach (Singing Beach? The sands sing while you walk) also on the North Shore. North shore is anything north of Boston, but these two are both on Cape Ann, which is the next major land-knob north of Boston

4. Top | #4
    If you like Italian food and/or Paul Revere, check out Boston’s North End. I enjoy exploring the Greenway, which is the park made where I93 once ran. Lots of green space/gardens and local artists and craftspeople selling their works, food trucks, etc. It’s also easy to get from Boston to Cambridge by foot or on the T, and there’s lots of fun stuff to see and do in Cambridge.

5. Top | #5
    Paul Revere was a bourgeois nitwit. I will die on this hill.

6. Top | #6
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I always enjoy the aquarium, but I always enjoy all aquariums, your mileage may vary.

My last 30 trips to Boston, though, have been to go through Boston and up to Salem where my kid was at the University. We did spend a week touring Salem, but the city can't really support that much attention.
    Fun for a day or two, see the pirate museum and ONE museum/tour on the witch trials. The trial period was not that long and all the museums cover the same material. Towards the end of the week, my only interest was discovering new ways the tour guide pronounced Tituba.

Tit-yuba
    Tee-shuba
    Tie-Two-Bah
    Tie-Chew-buh

But the bus tour DID specifically mention that Paul Revere's ride was not all that impressive. IIRC, no way he shouted 'The British are coming' at a time when everyone considered themselves British...

7. Top | #7
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I'll note that while the Cemetery in Plymouth is the oldest maintained one in the US that includes Europeans, there is little else worth seeing in Plymouth, MA. Plimoth Plantation is nice and well run, but I don't think worth the effort in going to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhea View Post
    I grew up in Concord (pronounced “CON-kid,” never “conCORD,” that’s an airplane) and yes it has some great sightseeing - a full day’s worth between the Old North Bridge and the Manor overlooking it, Nathaniel Hawthornes’s house, Alcott House, Author’s ridge graveyard, Walden Pond and nearby Lexington attraction Minuteman National Park.

If you like the beach then Cape Cod is a delight and there is a long bike trail, I expect you can rent bikes to enjoy it, you can ride to beaches and views. With the first gay-friendly city, Provincetown (P-Town) at the end. You can take a ferry there from Boston.
    Do not drive to P-Town! Regarding the bike trail... if it is windy, it is hell going one direction... much like when boating in the Canal going against the current.

8. Top | #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Higgins View Post
    I'll note that while the Cemetery in Plymouth is the oldest maintained one in the US that includes Europeans, there is little else worth seeing in Plymouth, MA. Plimoth Plantation is nice and well run, but I don't think worth the effort in going to.

Do not drive to P-Town! Regarding the bike trail... if it is windy, it is hell going one direction... much like when boating in the Canal going against the current.
    I kind of want to see Plymouth as I have some family history there, the cemetery included, but you are not the first person I've talked to who felt a bit underwhelmed by a visit there.

I think I can handle a bit of wind but thank you for the warning!

9. Top | #9
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Politesse View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Higgins View Post

I kind of want to see Plymouth as I have some family history there, the cemetery included, but you are not the first person I've talked to who felt a bit underwhelmed by a visit there.

I think I can handle a bit of wind but thank you for the warning!
    I grew up there.

10. Top | #10
    I would say Boston Public park is a good place to hang out with friends and secondly Freedom Trail is best way to have a good walk, where a person can see many of worthwhile historical sites along with the walk. It's a must to do thing if you are there for first time.