Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 31

Thread: Essential Gear for Storming Area 51

  1. Top | #21
    Elder Contributor Keith&Co.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Far Western Mass
    Posts
    16,809
    Archived
    24,500
    Total Posts
    41,309
    Rep Power
    75
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel View Post
    I strongly suspect there will be other water-sellers out there, though--those of us with hiking experience see the fools all the time, woefully unprepared for what they are getting into. These Area 51 idiots are probably going to be even worse.
    I dunno... The militia take-over in Oregon were the ones who didn't think to bring snacks. I feel confident the Class of '51 will have coolers at the least.

  2. Top | #22
    Content Thief Elixir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Mountains
    Posts
    11,098
    Archived
    707
    Total Posts
    11,805
    Rep Power
    44
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Elixir View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel View Post
    I strongly suspect that many of the stormers are not going to bring something that's essential--plenty of water. If enough people show up I expect deaths because search and rescue will be overwhelmed. There's a lot of hot desert between the boundary and anything of interest and most of these fools won't have any idea of how fast you go through water under those conditions.

    If I lived closer I would be sorely tempted to head over there, hike in a couple of miles and sit there selling bottled water at high prices.
    Then another must is cash - lots of cash. in case we need to buy your water? Or ... do you take credit cards?
    Note that I said "If I lived closer". The closest legal spot I can find on the map is 3 hours from here. (And I would say it's at least 20 miles from that point to the facility itself. Open Street Map doesn't show a scale and Google shows those roads so faintly--and doesn't show the boundary--that I can't really match it up well.) I strongly suspect there will be other water-sellers out there, though--those of us with hiking experience see the fools all the time, woefully unprepared for what they are getting into. These Area 51 idiots are probably going to be even worse.
    My (former) Company makes and sells trauma kits (which have many many documented saves), and also survival kits, which I doubt have saved any lives at all. I always wanted to put "hydration pills" in the survival kits. Actually, sugar pills with bold lettered instruction "JUST ADD WATER". In fact, the most useful component of most of those kits - in terms of size, weight and cost - are water purification tablets, either chlorine dioxide or iodine tablets. But they're useless too, if you don't have at least some tainted water to purify. A skilled survivalist can make fire under a wide range of conditions, but making water in the middle of a desert is a tall order...

  3. Top | #23
    Loony Running The Asylum ZiprHead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Do you like my pretty crown?
    Posts
    15,135
    Archived
    3,034
    Total Posts
    18,169
    Rep Power
    87
    ITMFA

    When conservatives realize they cannot win democratically, they will not abandon conservatism. They will abandon democracy.

    You submit to tyranny when you renounce truth. - Timothy Snyder

  4. Top | #24
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    84
    Archived
    266
    Total Posts
    350
    Rep Power
    61
    Maybe just a driver's license and an updated will. That way the Man can ID the body after it is cut down by gunfire and the surviving family members have a clear cut idea of who inherits the tinfoil hats, the VPN account and the Bigfoot pictures.

  5. Top | #25
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    24,813
    Archived
    96,752
    Total Posts
    121,565
    Rep Power
    96
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith&Co. View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel View Post
    I strongly suspect there will be other water-sellers out there, though--those of us with hiking experience see the fools all the time, woefully unprepared for what they are getting into. These Area 51 idiots are probably going to be even worse.
    I dunno... The militia take-over in Oregon were the ones who didn't think to bring snacks. I feel confident the Class of '51 will have coolers at the least.
    Those who understand how to be safe out there will take a look at the map and conclude they shouldn't try--to do this (in and back out) in one day is in the ultramarathon range--but ultramarathoners don't have to pack all their water in. Thus it will be almost all people who don't know what they're getting into and no doubt some people selling stuff (who very well might know what the terrain is like but don't care because they aren't going very far.)

  6. Top | #26
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    24,813
    Archived
    96,752
    Total Posts
    121,565
    Rep Power
    96
    Quote Originally Posted by Elixir View Post
    My (former) Company makes and sells trauma kits (which have many many documented saves), and also survival kits, which I doubt have saved any lives at all. I always wanted to put "hydration pills" in the survival kits. Actually, sugar pills with bold lettered instruction "JUST ADD WATER". In fact, the most useful component of most of those kits - in terms of size, weight and cost - are water purification tablets, either chlorine dioxide or iodine tablets. But they're useless too, if you don't have at least some tainted water to purify. A skilled survivalist can make fire under a wide range of conditions, but making water in the middle of a desert is a tall order...
    Yup. Around here there is very little to put in a survival kit. There are no purification pills in my pack because I figure there will be no water. We had a very snowy winter, we still have snow on our mountain but on a day hike the savings from using what little is out there wouldn't be much. I also don't carry one of the ten essentials--fire--because I figure any situation in which I felt the need of it would also be a situation where it was insanely dangerous. The real survival item is a PLB, SPOT or InReach!

    You say iodine tablets--can you still get those? I thought they were a victim of the war on meth.

  7. Top | #27
    Veteran Member C_Mucius_Scaevola's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Amsterdam, NL
    Posts
    1,568
    Archived
    2,015
    Total Posts
    3,583
    Rep Power
    56

  8. Top | #28
    Content Thief Elixir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Mountains
    Posts
    11,098
    Archived
    707
    Total Posts
    11,805
    Rep Power
    44
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Elixir View Post
    My (former) Company makes and sells trauma kits (which have many many documented saves), and also survival kits, which I doubt have saved any lives at all. I always wanted to put "hydration pills" in the survival kits. Actually, sugar pills with bold lettered instruction "JUST ADD WATER". In fact, the most useful component of most of those kits - in terms of size, weight and cost - are water purification tablets, either chlorine dioxide or iodine tablets. But they're useless too, if you don't have at least some tainted water to purify. A skilled survivalist can make fire under a wide range of conditions, but making water in the middle of a desert is a tall order...
    Yup. Around here there is very little to put in a survival kit. There are no purification pills in my pack because I figure there will be no water. We had a very snowy winter, we still have snow on our mountain but on a day hike the savings from using what little is out there wouldn't be much. I also don't carry one of the ten essentials--fire--because I figure any situation in which I felt the need of it would also be a situation where it was insanely dangerous. The real survival item is a PLB, SPOT or InReach!

    You say iodine tablets--can you still get those? I thought they were a victim of the war on meth.
    Yeah, you can still get them.

    I wouldn't pay the extra $4 for the "plus" (neutralizer) because it's just ascorbic acid; any vitamin C tablet or powder will do it just as well.

  9. Top | #29
    Loony Running The Asylum ZiprHead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Do you like my pretty crown?
    Posts
    15,135
    Archived
    3,034
    Total Posts
    18,169
    Rep Power
    87
    ITMFA

    When conservatives realize they cannot win democratically, they will not abandon conservatism. They will abandon democracy.

    You submit to tyranny when you renounce truth. - Timothy Snyder

  10. Top | #30
    Elder Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Located 100 miles east of A in America
    Posts
    24,187
    Archived
    42,473
    Total Posts
    66,660
    Rep Power
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith&Co. View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel View Post
    I strongly suspect there will be other water-sellers out there, though--those of us with hiking experience see the fools all the time, woefully unprepared for what they are getting into. These Area 51 idiots are probably going to be even worse.
    I dunno... The militia take-over in Oregon were the ones who didn't think to bring snacks. I feel confident the Class of '51 will have coolers at the least.
    The revolution will not be televised and we need snacks!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •