View Poll Results: Will there EVER be a return to sanity/progressivism?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • after 2020

1 5.88%
  • after 2024

0 0%
  • after some future election

1 5.88%
  • never

5 29.41%
  • only after ecological or economic tragedy

8 47.06%
  • after ecological or economic tragedy there will be full bore fascism

2 11.76%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Will The Oligarchy that owns the US eeeevvvvveerrrrrr be slightly reined in?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. Top | #1
    Archived
    Total Posts

Question Will The Oligarchy that owns the US eeeevvvvveerrrrrr be slightly reined in?

this is ridiculous. How much longer can the gulf grow between public opinion and actual governance. Will things EVER change in the US?
    Will we ever joined civilized countries with UHC? I could go on and on. Their doesnt seem to be any end to the slide to a corporate controlled sci-fi
    dystopia. What the fuck? Will we just be done in by climate change?

2. Top | #2
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I’m getting vibes you don’t think everything is sufficiently satisfactory. Granted, things aren’t perfect, but I get the distinct impression that you don’t find our current state of political affairs to be adequately acceptable. Yes, there’s always work to be done, barriers to overcome, goals to meet, hurdles to cross, objectives to aim for and achieve. It’s a process. You seem curiously unhappy about things—almost as if you think something is intolerable. I should hope you’d be more optimistic. After all, we now have a president that has vowed to make America great again. He seems sincere. Don’t you think we’re headed in the right direction with him as our president?

[/ ]

3. Top | #3
    Archived
    Total Posts
    there is no option for the actual solution to the issue, which is "when republicans stop being elected in a majority" - and given that will only happen if we collectively decide that the betterment of our country and of our species as a whole means telling those people actively trying to destroy it "you no longer get to be part of the governing process" and that's never going to happen, it'll never be fixed.

but yeah basically everything you mentioned would be corrected (eventually) by consistent not-republican government. whether that be democrats or some other nebulous form of generally secular liberal political structure, it just needs to not be the people who actively work to dismantle and destroy the very concept of government.

4. Top | #4
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Because you can now hunker down into a customized media world, because there's only a skeleton audience for the 6:30 network news, and newspapers are either dead or shedding tons of reporting/editing positions...it seems to me that the two sides of our national schism no longer share common assumptions or even reality claims. Hence an opening for a demagogue like DJT. He may not be the lowest we'll sink. So, the oligarchy, with a cheerleader and hater-in-chief at the top, working the faithful into a lather.

5. Top | #5
    Veteran Member
    Quote Originally Posted by masterpeastheater View Post
    this is ridiculous. How much longer can the gulf grow between public opinion and actual governance. Will things EVER change in the US?
    Will we ever joined civilized countries with UHC? I could go on and on. Their doesnt seem to be any end to the slide to a corporate controlled sci-fi
    I don't believe that there will substantial change until people increase their voting turnout and the country more accepts science and reason.

6. Top | #6
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Who is there to vote for? Is there someone, some candidate or party that can actually make a differance? If so, what would that difference look like?

7. Top | #7
    Veteran Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DBT View Post
    Who is there to vote for? Is there someone, some candidate or party that can actually make a differance? If so, what would that difference look like?
    I would settle for a fucking ham sandwich over the current party in control.

8. Top | #8
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Bosch View Post
    I don't believe that there will substantial change until people increase their voting turnout and the country more accepts science and reason.
    Feels like a chicken-and-egg problem. Lawmakers cater to their wealthy donors. The non-wealthy don't bother to vote because they feel ignored.

9. Top | #9
    Quote Originally Posted by James Brown View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Bosch View Post
    Feels like a chicken-and-egg problem. Lawmakers cater to their wealthy donors. The non-wealthy don't bother to vote because they feel ignored.
    More like a green-eggs-and-ham problem. The best way to get ignored is to not vote.

10. Top | #10
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DBT View Post
    The difference looked like Trump to the deplorables. And the difference looked like Bernie to the millennials.

Yes, the liberals still think Trump is crappy but that does not change the fact that voting DID matter for the last POTUS election.