Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: The Bible, in Order: but on whose orders? Some significant reorganizations of Scripture

1. Top | #31
    Quote Originally Posted by Fentoine Lum View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Politesse View Post
    This thread does not attempt to be a comprehensive guide to all of the books of the Bible, their composition, or the many, many competing canons that have existed over the centuries. Rather, it is a beginner's introduction to the creation of the "Good Book" and a discussion of why the order in which the Scriptures are presented might be important. Because the Bible is such a frequent and indeed unavoidable symbol in our society, I hope both religious and non-religious readers might find this thread interesting. I have no particular goals in terms of an ensuing discussion, but welcome your thoughts on any portion of the post that strikes you as interesting. I plan to present this in three segments: The Pre-Monarchic HS, the post-monarchic HS, and the New Testament.
    No thank you, I have no more time to devote to the bible.

I've given it too much already.
    Fair enough! This is the religious texts subforum, though. Have you ever tried reading some of the other classical texts? I do strongly believe that there is inherent value in studying such books as have survived the crucible of time,
    be they "secular" or "religious" .

2. Top | #32
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Fentoine Lum View Post
    This thread does not attempt to be a comprehensive guide to all of the books of the Bible, their composition, or the many, many competing canons that have existed over the centuries. Rather, it is a beginner's introduction to the creation of the "Good Book" and a discussion of why the order in which the Scriptures are presented might be important. Because the Bible is such a frequent and indeed unavoidable symbol in our society, I hope both religious and non-religious readers might find this thread interesting. I have no particular goals in terms of an ensuing discussion, but welcome your thoughts on any portion of the post that strikes you as interesting. I plan to present this in three segments: The Pre-Monarchic HS, the post-monarchic HS, and the New Testament.
    No thank you, I have no more time to devote to the bible.

I've given it too much already.
    Fair enough! This is the religious texts subforum, though. Have you ever tried reading some of the other classical texts? I do strongly believe that there is inherent value in studying such books as have survived the crucible of time,
    be they "secular" or "religious" .
    I find that just because something is/was popular doesn't mean it posses inherent value. We all have creative intelligence. I do not relinquish mine to others in order to follow what has "survived". That's often nothing more than an indication of a level of authoritarianism one people exerted over another. Being well read is always a plus assuming one reads a variety of stuff. Which come to think of it describes the bible; it's just a collection of stuff other people want me to believe in.

3. Top | #33
    Veteran Member
    Israeli Zionists like Netanyahu claim they are the inheritors of the authentic tradition.

From what I read at the time of the gospels there was a distpte between Jerusalem Jews and Syrian Jews as to who were authentic. Not unlike the Islam Shia Sunni split.

I believe ancient Israel was split between north and south. They were contentious among themselves. Look at Christians and Muslims today in sectarian conflict and project back to ancient Hebrews.

The Pope says he and the RCC is the one and only inheritor of power tracing back to the first bishop of Rome. Protestants say no way. Among protestants there is at times strong debate over who is an authentic Christian.

I had a thread on it. An authentic Christian is one who says he or she is.

4. Top | #34
    Searching for reality along the long and winding road
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_bank View Post

From what I read at the time of the gospels there was a distpte between Jerusalem Jews and Syrian Jews as to who were authentic. Not unlike the Islam Shia Sunni split.
    There is and likely always has been disputes between different groups in Judaism as well as within any other religion. From my observation, Jews have taken religious disputes to the level of a sport which all participants enjoy immensely. Disputes within other religions seem to be more antagonistic.

5. Top | #35
    Archived
    Total Posts
    This all seems to be off topic in a thread about why scriptures are in a particular order.

If we want to talk about how or whether different sects order their scriptures to project a certain message, that would be relevant.

6. Top | #36
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarpedon View Post
    This all seems to be off topic in a thread about why scriptures are in a particular order.

If we want to talk about how or whether different sects order their scriptures to project a certain message, that would be relevant.
    Well, the Talmud is its own story, to be sure!

7. Top | #37
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I wanted to discuss a little more around that but back to the OP.

8. Top | #38
    Veteran Member
    You can look it up. As I understand it the Jewish cannon was formally created after the fall of Israel to Rome by the diaspora.

Was it Nicaea where the Christian cannon was agreed on?

Plenty of info on the net on order of when the OT books were written versus the chronological order of the stories.

The short answer I believe is the order and selections in both traditions was decided by committee without benefit of any modern darting and literary analysis.

The gospels were thought to be the oldest accounts available.

9. Top | #39
    Archived
    Total Posts
    The Talmud is just way too big for the casual reader! I made it a point to read the holy books of most major religions. Then I got to the Talmud and I thought....hmmm, that's more applied theology than scripture...pass.