Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Bible, in Order: but on whose orders? Some significant reorganizations of Scripture

1. Top | #11
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Count me in.

2. Top | #12
    Veteran Member
    It sounds like a site I looked at on the order of the books. It used the term.

I wish people would post sites used to create a summary.

3. Top | #13
    Veteran Member
    In part the books are dated by things like language and word usage, references to architecture, and references to known history.

From the Oxford Comment ray there is an architecture reference in the NT that is out of date with the alleged time.

From a recent show it looks like the exodus story of Moses parting the sea and a battle is two stories conflated from different times.

The Jewish cannon was created around the second century by diaspora Jews.

The Christian cannon came out of Nicaea I believe.

4. Top | #14
    Sorry guys, my semester started before I finished part 3! Fear not, I haven't forgotten the thread.

5. Top | #15
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steve
    From the Oxford Comment ray there is an architecture reference in the NT that is out of date with the alleged time.
    Out of curiosity, which is it?

6. Top | #16
    Veteran Member
    It wasaround 10 yeras ago I read it motivated by forum debate. I do not rember the exact deatils. The commentray goes throuth the entire bible book by book and discusse discrepancies, autho4rship, historical context, traslation problems and interpretations.

Job was likely a reference to captivity and part of a larger teaching set.

There are translation and interpretation issues that can alter meaning. Paul's alleged direct reference to homosexuality was more likely a general reference to pagan libertine sex. Jews of the day were obsessed with ritual cleanliness and d thought sex diminished strength. There are no know meanings for some of Genesis. Instead of created the Erath it could man out of chaos came order or something like that.

The modern NSRV translation softened the misogyny and was criticized for it. An example of interpretation bias.

Academic vs relhious interpretaion.

7. Top | #17
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I'm just trying to imagine what it might be.

"And then Jesus stood beneath the pointed arch and began to preach."
    "And Jesus said, 'Thou shalt not use the ADA lift for freight.'"
    "Verily, the heathens all escaped the Lord's wrath, for there was a second means of egress."

8. Top | #18
    Veteran Member
    The Holy Babble provides endless entertainment. Trying to understand the interpretations is like trying to understand the reasoning and logic of a 5 year old kid.

9. Top | #19
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_bank View Post
    The Holy Babble provides endless entertainment. Trying to understand the interpretations is like trying to understand the reasoning and logic of a 5 year old kid.
    Thank god we've got you around to keep standards of mature discourse at an adult level.

10. Top | #20
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Yes, but if it actually did make an anachronistic architectural reference, that would be interesting. The only architectural description I recall from the new testament was the structure of heaven in Revelations, and it was decidedly classical, correct for the alleged period.

Considering JC was a carpenter, there's remarkably little discussion of the built environment in the NT. It's like the man never went to work.