Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Ray Comfort on the stupidity of atheism/atheists

1. Top | #91
    The Sunshine State: The one with Crocs, not Gators
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Half-Life View Post
    It could be that I am ignorant of the subject and the answer is obvious.
    This is, by FAR, the most intelligent and accurate thing I have ever seen you post.

Kudos.

2. Top | #92
    Veteran Member Cheerful Charlie's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by atrib View Post
    It's like how evolutionists can't answer, "How did pregnancy evolve?" Pregnancy is either all or nothing. You can't have a 3 month pregnancy, then the next stage a 4 month pregnancy. It's all or nothing. Seems very unlikely pregnancy evolved gradually step by step.
    Is this supposed to be a satire, with you mocking the creationists? Most creationists I know are smart enough and educated enough not to make up arguments that are this stupid and ignorant. This is a spoof, right?
    No, it is not a spoof. I have asked this question many times and I am always met with radio silence. Pregnancy can not evolve step by step. Think of all the stuff you need for pregnancy inside the woman's body over 9 months. How did they evolve step by step?

It could be that I am ignorant of the subject and the answer is obvious. But, I have yet to see any evolutionist, even Dick Dawkins, explain how pregnancy evolved or came to be in the first place.
    How hard have you looked? Where did you look? Or are you an invincible ignorant type?
    Cheerful Charlie

3. Top | #93
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Pregnancy is either all or nothing. You can't have a 3 month pregnancy, then the next stage a 4 month pregnancy. It's all or nothing. Seems very unlikely pregnancy evolved gradually step by step.
    You don't know much about Kangaroos, do you?

So, anyway, I suppose you forgot the citation for your claim that 'pregnancy is all or nothing?' Who says this? How do you know? What expert can you appeal to in support of this claim?

I mean, it would be pretty fucking stupid of you to make a blatant claim in connection to a statement like 'Atheists cannot answer' when it's just you 'making shit up,' right? So, of course, YOU must be able to answer WHY you know Pregnancy is 'all or nothing.' You repeated this claim, but not how we know this to be true.

Must be an oversight, huh? Go ahead, take your time. Pony up all you know about pregnancy, and all the forms it takes in all the creatures on Earth.

4. Top | #94
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith&Co. View Post
    Pregnancy is either all or nothing. You can't have a 3 month pregnancy, then the next stage a 4 month pregnancy. It's all or nothing. Seems very unlikely pregnancy evolved gradually step by step.

So, anyway, I suppose you forgot the citation for your claim that 'pregnancy is all or nothing?' Who says this? How do you know? What expert can you appeal to in support of this claim?

I mean, it would be pretty fucking stupid of you to make a blatant claim in connection to a statement like 'Atheists cannot answer' when it's just you 'making shit up,' right? So, of course, YOU must be able to answer WHY you know Pregnancy is 'all or nothing.' You repeated this claim, but not how we know this to be true.

Must be an oversight, huh? Go ahead, take your time. Pony up all you know about pregnancy, and all the forms it takes in all the creatures on Earth.
    "All or nothing" means the 9 month pregnancy in humans can not evolve gradually step by step, as evolution teaches things evolve in steps. It's either 9 months pregnancy or nothing. You can't have a 1 month pregnancy in humans to evolve step by step.

5. Top | #95
    Searching for reality along the long and winding road
    Archived
    Total Posts

"All or nothing" means the 9 month pregnancy in humans can not evolve gradually step by step, as evolution teaches things evolve in steps. It's either 9 months pregnancy or nothing. You can't have a 1 month pregnancy in humans to evolve step by step.
    No one ever claimed that a nine month pregnancy evolved within the human species. That idea is yours from your blind belief that humans were created a few thousand years ago with no ancestral predecessors. Methods of reproduction have evolved over a few billion years as new species evolved from older species eventually resulting in humans (only a few hundred thousand years ago) that happen to have a nine month gestation period. Our earlier predecessors (simple multicell animals) could have had a 'gestation' period of only a couple hours - later species in the chain of evolution to humans would have longer gestation periods.

This is why I earlier posted that your question makes no sense unless you assume that you are asking the question to someone who is a young Earth creationist that also believes evolution is a valid theory (and there is no such animal).

ETA:
    You really need to familiarize yourself with what the theory of evolution actually says. It really isn't that difficult to understand the basics. If you learn something about the subject you argue against then you could maybe make some halfway intelligent criticisms of it. Only a few hours study would do you a world of good.
    Last edited by skepticalbip; 09-13-2019 at 11:21 PM.

6. Top | #96
    The Sunshine State: The one with Crocs, not Gators
    Archived
    Total Posts

Are you seriously asserting that every human pregnancy that results in a baby has exactly the same duration?

Because that's what you just said, whether you realise it or not.

If (and we can easily observe that it is true) pregnancies can vary in duration, then it's a very easy step to understanding that the duration can be arbitrarily short, given gradual change over long periods of time.

And we observe species that have pregnancy durations from zero (fertilisation occurs outside the female); durations of seconds or minutes (an egg or eggs is/are 'laid' almost immediately after fertilisation; durations of a few hundred; a few days; weeks; months; and even (in elephants) almost two years.

Gestation periods are an unbroken continuum from zero to several months, across the animal kingdom. Your objection makes literally no sense. At all. Your "unanswerable question" has the answer right in front of everyone's faces. You need almost no knowledge of biology in order to observe that pregnancies have variable duration, both across species, and within species.

You might as well say that "Short people can't be explained by evolution, because height is all or nothing - humans are six feet tall, or nothing". Can you see the flaw in that claim?

7. Top | #97
    Archived
    Total Posts

Yeah, this is a spoof.

The period of gestation in mammals varies widely, from about 10 days in the Australian marsupial mouse, to almost 600 days for sperm whales. Humans are somewhere in the middle. Even among humans, the period of pregnancy can vary widely, by weeks or even months, and as our medical technology gets better, this range keeps getting bigger.

You need to try harder.

8. Top | #98
    Archived
    Total Posts

I know what 'all or nothing' means, thanks.
    I am asking if you can support this claim? Because it soumds like you do not know what you are talking about.
    Just asserting shit.
    ETA: by the way, all three of my kids were born three months premature. If it's 9 months, all or nothing, i guess i do not have children. Guess tgat makes grandkid gifts easy to sort out....

9. Top | #99
    Formerly Joedad
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bilby View Post

Are you seriously asserting that every human pregnancy that results in a baby has exactly the same duration?
    That answer struck me the same way, what is he talking about? Halfie has a brain that is all about impulse, I'm guessing his neocortex is six sigma thinner than the human average. That's not necessarily a bad thing but it would explain his behavior.

10. Top | #100
    Veteran Member
    I'm no scientist, but the most basic glance at the world around me tells me that biology doesn't do "all or nothing"... everything I see, touch, smell, hear has beautiful variance... It's so awesome! I never understood why the anti-science crowd seems to want everything to be so simple and boring that they literally deny the awesomeness of god's creations.

Think of it this way.....

What would any little boy rather get on their birthday... A framed picture of the Golden Gate Bridge they can hang up in their room, or an Erector Set that they can use to build a model of any bridge they can imagine?

Which kind of parent is God? The one that says, "this is what a bridge is. just look at it and appreciate who made it" Or is he one that says, "I think you're great and I empower you to do great things".