Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ray Comfort on the stupidity of atheism/atheists

1. Top | #11
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by T.G.G. Moogly View Post
    I'm left to wonder if he ever had a close friend or family person who he could laugh and tell jokes with, or even knows what that is. He seems so uptight, even manic.
    He has had problems with depression at least earlier in life. I am not sure if they magically went away when he had his Jesus moment.

He does devote so much of his energy, attention, and life to evangelizing. Even when you see the occasional fruit of your efforts when someone approaches and tells you how influential you were to them in a positive way, it has to be a drag to likewise see so much of your work go to waste and so many people unpersuaded by you, and wonder why God will not just step in with an extra hand. Add to that his recent problems with kidney stones, and the guy merits sympathy as well, regardless of the lack of logic to his views.

2. Top | #12
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Here is a Rational Wiki page that may be of interest; https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Scient...ural_in_Origin

3. Top | #13
    Archived
    Total Posts
    That link mentions how poor Ray is at defining words he uses in his arguments, which I would concur with. He will ask someone "Have you ever told a lie in your life?" and if they answer affirmatively, he will categorize as them as a "liar." If I ever was speaking with him in person, I would mention that I have also at least once in life told the truth. So that means I am a truth teller, right? He does not distinguish differences and degrees, or various circumstances, in how we apply labels. A word may have a certain meaning in one context and another meaning in a different context.

He also uses arguments by design frequently, but does not explicitly state the actual argument, just assumes and implies its premises instead. He also uses a helluva lot of analogies and metaphors to make his arguments instead of outright stating the arguments. That lets a lot of bad arguments go unanswered. He will say we look at a painting and know it had a painter. We look at a building and know it had a builder. We look at the all birds and rainbows and flowers (always pointing to the pretty parts of the universe, notably, never the terrible and cruel aspects) and therefore we know the universe had a creator as well. He does not get more specific in stating what it is about those qualities that lets us know they were designed. Is it the complexity, the beauty, the ugliness, the blueness, the redness, the age of them? He does not get specific.

Unfortunately he does not seem to understand that arguments by analogy are useful for understanding how something can be true by comparing some new explanation that we do not understand to a previous explanation that we already understand, but they do not actually prove that the explanation is correct. Analogies are useful for illustrations, but they are not evidence or proof.

4. Top | #14
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    My first take: Omigod, this is the banana guy?
    I googled 'Ray Comfort banana' and got the gist of it in 3-4 minutes. There is at least a glimmer of hope for Ray. After his famous banana exegesis, there were numerous derisive responses pointing out that man's cultivation and selective plant breeding led to the 'amazing' and God-probative banana features that he'd gone nuts about. Ray later stated (on a video that Huffington Post said was later made private): he "was not aware that the common banana had been so modified through hybridization." Am I right that he no longer does his banana speech?

5. Top | #15
    Formerly Joedad
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Maybe he should have given his name to a brand of liquor. Probably could have sold truckloads of the stuff.

Ray clearly has psychological issues and I kinda feel sorry for people like that so we shouldn't pick on him, fun as it might be. He could probably benefit from medication of some form of cognitive therapy. He seems to have a real hardon for atheists and that's the one thing I like about him. Having someone like him bashing people without religion is a really good thing.

6. Top | #16
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Maybe he should have given his name to a brand of liquor. Probably could have sold truckloads of the stuff.

Ray clearly has psychological issues ... He could probably benefit from medication of some form of cognitive therapy...
    I don't see it. He seems socially competent and happy enough, and that's all it takes to be a mentally healthy person. He has a standard level of intellect and he likes opinions better than learning. He's highly confident about the opinions, which he shares with his favored ingroup. So he's a standard, typical human.

What psychological issues did you see? Don't say "superstitious" because that's typical of humanity and therefore not a psychological issue.

7. Top | #17
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.
    - Voltaire
    Cheerful Charlie

8. Top | #18
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ideologyhunter View Post
    My first take: Omigod, this is the banana guy?
    I googled 'Ray Comfort banana' and got the gist of it in 3-4 minutes. There is at least a glimmer of hope for Ray. After his famous banana exegesis, there were numerous derisive responses pointing out that man's cultivation and selective plant breeding led to the 'amazing' and God-probative banana features that he'd gone nuts about. Ray later stated (on a video that Huffington Post said was later made private): he "was not aware that the common banana had been so modified through hybridization." Am I right that he no longer does his banana speech?
    Well, he wrote a book about his banana argument.

Then he made a film about the banana argument, and his response to those who mocked him or criticized his thinking.

Later he used the same rationale with regard to coconuts, pineapples, and artichokes.

So I'd be cautious before saying that Comfort took the criticism seriously, learned a lesson or two, and is now working to improve his arguments.

9. Top | #19
    The Sunshine State: The one with Crocs, not Gators
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I think 'Southern Comfort' is already taken.

10. Top | #20
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    He also had the movie: "The Fool - the true banana man story".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlCc_TA7gw8

Its an old parody he's been doing for sometime before that famous vid.