Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Can I talk about your body that you are exposing?

1. Top | #1
    Cyborg with a Tiara
    Archived
    Total Posts

Can I talk about your body that you are exposing?

Setting the tone: I do not care how much body people show. Not “I tolerate it,” but I actually don’t care. So this is an academic-flavored question, not one borne from prudishness. The boobs thread made me think of this, but it’s something that has come up before.

So people wear stuff that exposes certain parts of their body. It feels like sometimes it’s okay to talk about the exposed bit. prompted, even, or sought after. Other times, the exposed bit is not supposed to be acknowledged.

So say a person is Autistic, and doesn’t see why some is okay and some not. How would you go about describing why it’s okay to mention some body parts and some not?

Examples: Some are intended to draw looks and/or comments, others you are not supposed to comment on, or even acknowledge that you are looking.
    • Muscle tees - “nice guns, lady!” Or “Major pecs, mister!”
    • Midriff shirts - “epic abs, ma’am!” Or “Now that’s a sixpack”
    • Tank top - “Nice tattoo! Love that work!”
    • Plunging neckline - “Nice boobs!”
    • Low-rise jeans - “Love your butt crack!”
    • Short-shorts - “That is one tight ass”

So why would it be okay (and I think it is?) to comment on someone’s abs that they are showing off, but not on their boobs or tight butt cheeks?

I’m of two minds here: one, I don’t think we should judge people on their clothes and assume they are showing something off for us to comment on. But two, sometimes isn’t it legit to say, “hey, I wanna show off something I like?”

What are the social pitfalls inherent in this topic?

2. Top | #2
    Banned
    What a great thread and thanks for starting it Rhea. I am in the camp that, if you are going to expose all (or part) of your assists, then you better be fully ready to take the comments that other have the right to say to you. Now, it is up to the person saying the comments to determine, just because it is a right, is it worth saying or do I have the nerve to say it.
    just to be clear, in my post about the 20 somethings at the bar last night, I completely defend their right to say anything they want about the boobs that I was exposing and their expectations of what they would do if I was completely topless. I was honestly more taken back by the "at her age" comment than the boob comment.
    I have had larger than normal boobs since my early teens, so I have heard my share of "boob" comments over the years (both good and bad comments)

3. Top | #3
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I agree. I don't see anything wrong with complimenting somebody on their body if they are putting it out there, unless there is some indication that they would not appreciate it. You don't have to "cat call" to compliment somebody's bodily display. As fun said, there are both good and bad comments that can be made. And how somebody dresses is usually a pretty good indicator of what they will and won't appreciate being said (don't compliment the body of a woman wearing a hajib lol)

And obviously you should keep it to compliments and not derogatory statements, just like you wouldn't insult somebody's big nose or fat belly etc.

4. Top | #4
    Cyborg with a Tiara
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolly_Penguin View Post
    You don't have to "cat call" to compliment somebody's bodily display.
    This is probably a good key to the dividing line. I agree. Difference between saying, “wow, you have a fabulous ass,” and “Hey baby, that ass for me?”

Which brings up one important addition to the discussion: Just because it is being displayed, does NOT mean it is being offered, like, EVER. That requires consent.

5. Top | #5
    Banned
    now that I will say "amen"

6. Top | #6
    Cyborg with a Tiara
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Still, though, are we saying that if cleavage is shown it is okay to comment on the boobs? If butt cheeks are shown, it is okay comment on them? If low-slung pants show a lot of titillating pelvic hair, can one comment?

I feel like that is not clear. And there are times I would not be wanting comments, just wearing my clothes for me.

7. Top | #7
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Short story for you:

I was once standing at a bus stop in a rather crowded area, turned around only to find my face directly at the level and inches away from a woman's boobs covered only by bikini top (she was standing on a slightly elevated surface).

I did a bit of a double take and said "wow" before I consciously realized what happened. She laughed and took it as a compliment and found it funny. I don't think I was out of line. Nor did she.

8. Top | #8
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhea View Post
    Still, though, are we saying that if cleavage is shown it is okay to comment on the boobs? If butt cheeks are shown, it is okay comment on them? If low-slung pants show a lot of titillating pelvic hair, can one comment?

I feel like that is not clear. And there are times I would not be wanting comments, just wearing my clothes for me.
    Depends on the culture. I would more readily do so in Toronto than in Singapore. Also if a guy makes a comment and you either ignore him or give a look of disapproval, then it must stop immediately.

9. Top | #9
    Banned
    proper response by both parties, I say.

10. Top | #10
    Banned
    I say YES to your first 2 sentences. If you are showing it, you better be ready for comments. Now, most people don't care to or want to make comments. We have been talking mostly about women here, but the same goes for men. Now I am sure most of you by now have seen the naked picture of my husband in another post...same goes for him, if he is going to post a full body naked picture on here, he better be ready for all the comments by everybody seeing it as well.