Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Israel vs. Palestine, split off from Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

1. Top | #1
    Archived
    Total Posts

Israel vs. Palestine, split off from Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

I was really hoping AOC would have the guts to unequivocally defend Ilhan Omar's entirely accurate tweets about the Israel lobby, but she caved and applauded Omar for apologizing.

2. Top | #2
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PyramidHead View Post
    I was really hoping AOC would have the guts to unequivocally defend Ilhan Omar's entirely accurate tweets about the Israel lobby, but she caved and applauded Omar for apologizing.

3. Top | #3
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Israel is doing evil things.

Oppression and theft are evil.

I don't think it should take a god to get people to see that however.

4. Top | #4
    Super Moderator
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Derec View Post
    What's anti-semitic about that quote? Being against the actions of the government of Israel is not synonymous with being against Jews in general.

That's like saying that if you criticize the crackdowns of the Chinese government on dissidents it means you're a racist who hates asians.

5. Top | #5
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Sawyer View Post
    What's anti-semitic about that quote? Being against the actions of the government of Israel is not synonymous with being against Jews in general.

That's like saying that if you criticize the crackdowns of the Chinese government on dissidents it means you're a racist who hates asians.
    I know, right? Reminds me of how publishing anything critical of Trump make you un-American.

6. Top | #6
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I'm fine with her quote there as well. The Israeli apartheid machinations in the West Bank is close enough to the funky work 'evil' in my book. The US sure didn't like it when South Africa was doing similar shit. Maybe she has said something anti-semitic, but I haven't seen it presented anywhere so far...not that I've been looking for it.

7. Top | #7
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by funinspace View Post
    I'm fine with her quote there as well.
    I expected you would be.
    The Israeli apartheid machinations in the West Bank is close enough to the funky work 'evil' in my book.
    You must be careful to distinguish West Bank from Gaza. They are two very different entities with different statuses, different governments and different issues.
    This tweet by Omar was regarding Gaza in particular, and not West Bank. It is from 2012, when Israel yet again had to defend itself from an attack by Gaza, which is run by a terrorist group Hamas. For Omar, it is an "evil doing" for Israel to defend itself against Hamas. Let that sink in!
    In 2005, Israel completely withdrew from Gaza, removing all soldiers and settlements. The result was an increase in mortar and rocket attacks and Hamas took over as the ruling power. That caused the naval blockade that is in effect currently. Hamas led three wars against Israel since then, in 2008, 2012, and 2014. Currently, Hamas is involved in low level attacks against the border with Israel where they organize riots in which grenades are being thrown across the border fence and there are infiltration units that attempt to cross the border on a regular basis. In addition, there are balloons with incendiary and explosive payloads sent across the border that have caused millions of economic and also environmental damage to the fields and nature areas along the Gaza envelope.

By the way, one reason why Israel can't leave West Bank (other than its disputed status) is that it cannot risk it becoming a terrorist entity like Gaza. If that were to happen, a much higher share of the Israeli population would be in the line of fire from even short range Qassam rockets like the cities of the Gaza envelope are right now.

The US sure didn't like it when South Africa was doing similar shit.
    Maybe she has said something anti-semitic, but I haven't seen it presented anywhere so far...not that I've been looking for it.
    When you single out Israel and call it "evil" for Israel to defend itself from Islamist terrorist aggression, then her views are pretty clear.

8. Top | #8
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    The quote is misattributed. Omar tweeted that in 2012, prior to becoming a US Representative. Attribution should reflect that. As posted, it is deceptive.

I certainly think she should apologize and/or retract her words right after Trump apologizes and retracts his bigoted, racist, sexist remarks about grabbing women by the pussy, calling various women bitches, his disparaging remarks about women in general, about blacks, Muslims, and immigrants.

9. Top | #9
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Sawyer View Post
    What's anti-semitic about that quote?
    The quote (context being the 2012 Gaza war) says that it is "evil" for Israel to defend itself against aggression from Hamas in Gaza.
    Being against the actions of the government of Israel is not synonymous with being against Jews in general.
    It depends. If you criticize Israel for something that you would not criticize any other country, then your motivation for singling out Israel is because it is the Jewish homeland.

If Chinese government is the only one you so criticize, then probably yes.
    In any case, Omar is not attacking Israel for cracking down on any dissidents, but on defending itself from a terrorist entity that was shooting rockets and mortars at it. If you think Israel is "evil" for responding for acts of aggression, then you are probably an antisemite, esp. when you do not hold any other countries to such ridiculous standard.

By the way, imagine the outcry from the Islamic Caucus in Congress if it was Israel pumping toxic gas into Gaza tunnels? But since it's Egyptians, crickets.
    Two Palestinians suffocate to death in Egypt border tunnel

10. Top | #10
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Toni View Post
    The quote is misattributed.
    It is not misattributed, unless you believe the real Ilhan Omar has been replaced by a pod person since 2012.
    Omar tweeted that in 2012, prior to becoming a US Representative. Attribution should reflect that. As posted, it is deceptive.
    Yes, it is from 2012. But she is still the same person. And it shows that her hatred of Israel has been going for a while.

I certainly think she should apologize and/or retract her words right after Trump apologizes and retracts his bigoted, racist, sexist remarks about grabbing women by the pussy, calling various women bitches, his disparaging remarks about women in general, about blacks, Muslims, and immigrants.
    Tu quoque fallacy. We can and should criticize Omar no matter what Trump does or does not do.