Page 58 of 70 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068 ... LastLast

Thread: The effects of warming: Kilodeaths

1. Top | #571
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Higgins View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lpetrich View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by angelo View Post

The mainstream and dare I say it, Leftist media are always ready for news selling fake alarmism like "Record temperatures broken by Climate Change." But ponder this for a second..................Last time it was this hot was in 1938. Did we have GW/CC/CD in 1938? If so, why wasn't anything done about it then?
    But that was a single unusually hot year. Recent years were all unusually hot. Statistics means something, angelo.
    Arguing with angelo on this is about as nonsensical in itself, as denial about the Earth warming. We are witnessing records over periods of a month or a year with temperatures.

Locally, in NE Ohio, will we have had 13 days that were more than 10 degrees warmer than average. During Xmas week, we had one day with a high below 50! We were 20 degrees above average for the week.

I was mulching leaves after Xmas. In 2004, leaves were picked up on Election Day.

*waits for angelo to swap to... 'it is warming but mankind is causing it' part of AGW denial argument cycle*
    I also deny the existence of any gods!

2. Top | #572
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Nope. Not working.

3. Top | #573
    Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by fromderinside View Post
    I knew there were sufficient hammers available here to nail down this Christopher Monckton fraud. Good work. Looks real good. Thanks.
    Elementary my dear doctor.

4. Top | #574
    Super Moderator
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skepticalbip View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel View Post

For starters, it uses a starting point as reference just after the end of the 'little ice age", just as the Earth was emerging from the coldest period in the entire Holocene.
    It's 20 years after the end of the little ice age. I also suspect that's as far back as the data goes.
    Actually there is data back a few billion years (though far from detailed), a bit more reliable data over the last several million years (tracing the glaciation and inter-glacial periods of the current ice age), better data back to the beginning of the Holocene.
    No--this is specifically arctic temperature, not world temperature. I could imagine some tree ring data from such areas but what else will indicate the local temperature?

5. Top | #575
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Actually there is data back a few billion years (though far from detailed), a bit more reliable data over the last several million years (tracing the glaciation and inter-glacial periods of the current ice age), better data back to the beginning of the Holocene.
    No--this is specifically arctic temperature, not world temperature. I could imagine some tree ring data from such areas but what else will indicate the local temperature?
    If it's any help. Here in very sunny Perth Western Australia, the temperature right now is a very cool, [ for this time of the year] 18C with the maximum reaching a scorching 24C at 2pm today. Looking at the forecast for the next week or so, it may get to 33C on Saturday the 10th of January. This practically the middle of our Summer. Mind you, we have had one 40C day in December so far this Summer.

6. Top | #576
    Searching for reality along the long and winding road
    Archived
    Total Posts
    There are several proxies used for determining paleoclimates. There are ice cores measuring trapped gasses from glaciers around the world from the Alps, Andies, and Himalayas, other than the Arctic. There are ocean bed core samples from around the world that provide several proxies such as diatom species. There is pollen grain analysis from lake beds around the world. Even tree ring proxies take us back better than a thousand years (certainly far enough to have shown the Medieval Warm Period clipped from that chart).

Analysis of trapped gasses gives a much better idea of global temperatures than tree rings because gasses circulate and mix, trees don't.
    Last edited by skepticalbip; 01-02-2020 at 02:49 PM.

7. Top | #577
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Russia is having a hot summer, India a record breaking winter (for more than a century). Climate, sure, is uncertain.
    Quote Originally Posted by angelo View Post
    .. with the maximum reaching a scorching 24C at 2pm ..
    Your scorching 24C makes me laugh. Here 42C is norm in summer.
    Last edited by aupmanyav; 01-02-2020 at 04:08 PM.

8. Top | #578
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Looks like December 2019 in NE Ohio might have been the warmest on record (45.0 degrees average high)... again... slightly edging the 2015 record (44.3 degrees), which broke the 1889 record by around 3 degrees.

And again, this is the average high temp for the month... not a single day. Xmas week was ridiculously warm with lows above the average highs.

9. Top | #579
    Super Moderator
    Archived
    Total Posts
    There are several proxies used for determining paleoclimates. There are ice cores measuring trapped gasses from glaciers around the world from the Alps, Andies, and Himalayas, other than the Arctic. There are ocean bed core samples from around the world that provide several proxies such as diatom species. There is pollen grain analysis from lake beds around the world. Even tree ring proxies take us back better than a thousand years (certainly far enough to have shown the Medieval Warm Period clipped from that chart).

Analysis of trapped gasses gives a much better idea of global temperatures than tree rings because gasses circulate and mix, trees don't.
    You're still talking about global temperatures. I agree there are multiple ways to figure that out. What I'm question is whether there is anything to figure out local climates in the absence of vegetation.

10. Top | #580
    Contributor
    News report, Moscow has no snow for its winter festival.