Page 3 of 55 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 548

Thread: The effects of warming: Kilodeaths

  1. Top | #21
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Riverside City
    Posts
    3,363
    Archived
    6,289
    Total Posts
    9,652
    Rep Power
    36
    Quote Originally Posted by DBT View Post
    It's not a question of if there is going to be a crisis of world shaking proportions, just when.
    Indeed. Eventually the sun will become a red giant

  2. Top | #22
    Contributor DBT's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    ɹǝpunuʍop puɐן
    Posts
    9,047
    Archived
    17,906
    Total Posts
    26,953
    Rep Power
    71
    Quote Originally Posted by Jokodo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DBT View Post
    It's not a question of if there is going to be a crisis of world shaking proportions, just when.
    Indeed. Eventually the sun will become a red giant
    Oh, I think that bad things can happen long before that, and most likely will.

  3. Top | #23
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Riverside City
    Posts
    3,363
    Archived
    6,289
    Total Posts
    9,652
    Rep Power
    36
    Quote Originally Posted by DBT View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jokodo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DBT View Post
    It's not a question of if there is going to be a crisis of world shaking proportions, just when.
    Indeed. Eventually the sun will become a red giant
    Oh, I think that bad things can happen long before that, and most likely will.
    Sure they can. There's a shitload of asteroid out there.

  4. Top | #24
    Contributor DBT's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    ɹǝpunuʍop puɐן
    Posts
    9,047
    Archived
    17,906
    Total Posts
    26,953
    Rep Power
    71
    Quote Originally Posted by Jokodo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DBT View Post

    Oh, I think that bad things can happen long before that, and most likely will.
    Sure they can. There's a shitload of asteroid out there.
    So in your estimate the only danger to humanity, our way of life, being the sun eventually turning into a red giant or a asteroid impact?

  5. Top | #25
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Riverside City
    Posts
    3,363
    Archived
    6,289
    Total Posts
    9,652
    Rep Power
    36
    Quote Originally Posted by DBT View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jokodo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DBT View Post

    Oh, I think that bad things can happen long before that, and most likely will.
    Sure they can. There's a shitload of asteroid out there.
    So in your estimate the only danger to humanity, our way of life, being the sun eventually turning into a red giant or a asteroid impact?
    The only inevitable one. Remember, we're having this discussion because you said: "It's not a question of if there is going to be a crisis of world shaking proportions, just when."

    There might be a "crisis of world shaking proportions" within the millenium, within the century, the next decade, tomorrow. But that very much is an open question, and depends on what we do today to avert it.

    Your nihilism is warranted, but only on much longer timescales.

  6. Top | #26
    Contributor DBT's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    ɹǝpunuʍop puɐן
    Posts
    9,047
    Archived
    17,906
    Total Posts
    26,953
    Rep Power
    71
    That is the issue, are we doing enough to avoid an environment/economic disaster in the form of climate change and rising demand and consumption. It could be argued that we are not.

  7. Top | #27
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Riverside City
    Posts
    3,363
    Archived
    6,289
    Total Posts
    9,652
    Rep Power
    36
    Quote Originally Posted by DBT View Post
    That is the issue, are we doing enough to avoid an environment/economic disaster in the form of climate change and rising demand and consumption. It could be argued that we are not.
    If that's what you think, you should be arguing to do more. Not do despair more. Desperation is a recipe for lethargy not action.

  8. Top | #28
    Contributor DBT's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    ɹǝpunuʍop puɐן
    Posts
    9,047
    Archived
    17,906
    Total Posts
    26,953
    Rep Power
    71
    Quote Originally Posted by Jokodo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DBT View Post
    That is the issue, are we doing enough to avoid an environment/economic disaster in the form of climate change and rising demand and consumption. It could be argued that we are not.
    If that's what you think, you should be arguing to do more. Not do despair more. Desperation is a recipe for lethargy not action.
    I made no mention of desperation, only likelihood.... given the apparent lethargy and unwillingness for strong action. Business comes first, it appears. Not to mention climate change deniers.

  9. Top | #29
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    25,138
    Archived
    96,752
    Total Posts
    121,890
    Rep Power
    97
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_bank View Post
    Stock a lot of spare parts? Of course the survivalist position is flawed.

    However pre industrial 19th century USA did quite well with no advanced technology. In the event of a total collapse technology and knowledge would survive.
    But 19th century technology will do very little in the way of mining. What could be gotten with that tech level is already mined.

    It is not that hard to make good transistors. Shokley was doing it in a barn on a farm. With a reduction in population renewable energy works well. Solar panels, basic power supplies, and wind turbines are not difficult to make.
    They're not very good.

    And you're not making decent solar panels with low tech. You need extreme purity.

  10. Top | #30
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    25,138
    Archived
    96,752
    Total Posts
    121,890
    Rep Power
    97
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_bank View Post
    Successful in the sense steam powered trains delivered live beef and fresh produce around the country. Nutrition took a quantum leap. It manifested in the growth in height of doors. The opposite of NK where growth is stunted from malnutrition of young. Mass production of essential items like tools and nails, plows.
    Steam trains ran on coal. The easy-to-mine coal is gone.

    Solar electricity can power a wide range of machine tools. What survivalists would lack is raw materials like iron and aluminum and copper. With a reduced population that supplies needs plus some general amenities instead of gargantuan production of things we do not need humans could live like kings, if they get their collective shit together.
    Bass-ackwards. Production falls even more than the population due to the lack of specialization. The only resources that would be in greater abundance are land and water.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •