Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Most Admired People in the World

1. Top | #1
    Archived
    Total Posts

The Most Admired People in the World

Michelle Obama is the world's most admired woman | YouGov

American businessman Bill Gates is the world's most admired man, and he has been as long as this poll has been taken. The next most admired men are former US president Barack Obama, Chinese actor Jackie Chan, Chinese president Xi Jinping, and Chinese businessman Jack Ma.

The world's most admired women are Barack Obama's wife Michelle, American talk-show host Oprah Winfrey, American actress Angelina Jolie, British monarch Queen Elizabeth II, and British actress Emma Watson.

In the United States, the most admired men are Barack Obama, Donald Trump, Clint Eastwood, Bill Gates, Dwayne Johnson, and the most admired women Michelle Obama, Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Melania Trump, Ellen DeGeneres, and Queen Elizabeth II.

As the article notes, the female lists are dominated by entertainers, while the male lists contain more people from politics, business, and sporting.

The Obamas are high in most nations' lists, as well as in the world list. Barack Obama seems very worthy of such admiration, but I can't say that about Michelle Obama. She got to where she was by being married to him, even if she has been a very dignified First Lady. But close behind her in most of the world is Oprah Winfrey, someone who got to where she has by her own activities. That is true of nearly all the men, and in fairness, nearly all the women.

Donald and Melania Trump are among the highest in the US list, though not in any other nation's list. Melania Trump is like Michelle Obama, getting to where she is by marriage, though with much less dignity. Also in the US list is Ivanka Trump, and I find her very disappointing. Would she be anything without who her father is?

From a poll of 42,000 people in these 41 nations: UK, US, Germany, Argentina, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Egypt, Finland, France, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Malaysia, Mexico, Netherlands, Norway, Pakistan, Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, South Africa, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Turkey, UAE.

2. Top | #2
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    The way I see it, is that Barack got to where he did, by being married to Michele. You don't have to be first lady to be greatly admired. Her position as first lady just gave her more exposure. But, I've read articles that say that she's more popular than him. I can say as a happily married person that a good partner has a lot to do with how successful you are, whether you measure success by your career, how others perceive you, or how satisfied you are with you life. Barack wouldn't be the same man without Michele's influence.

I don't understand why anyone would admire any of the Trump family and Melania is no Michele.

3. Top | #3
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by southernhybrid View Post
    The way I see it, is that Barack got to where he did, by being married to Michele. ...
    I don't see how that is supposed to be the case.
    I don't understand why anyone would admire any of the Trump family and Melania is no Michele.
    I agree.

4. Top | #4
    Typical. A woman's accomplishments are never her own. She had a career before she met Barack, you know. She had a J.D. from Harvard. She was a sucessful lawyer and community organizer. Indeed, she was mentoring him at Sidley Austin LLP when they met, not the other way around. Whatever people admire her for now, she already had in spades beford her marriage. Really, she had to give up on what would likely have been the prime of her career so that Mr. Obama could be president. Being the First Lady made her famous, but it did not make her successful or admirable. That was all on her shoulders.

5. Top | #5
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by southernhybrid View Post
    The way I see it, is that Barack got to where he did, by being married to Michele. You don't have to be first lady to be greatly admired. Her position as first lady just gave her more exposure. But, I've read articles that say that she's more popular than him. I can say as a happily married person that a good partner has a lot to do with how successful you are, whether you measure success by your career, how others perceive you, or how satisfied you are with you life. Barack wouldn't be the same man without Michele's influence.

Absolutely.

6. Top | #6
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Politesse View Post
    Typical. A woman's accomplishments are never her own. She had a career before she met Barack, you know. She had a J.D. from Harvard. She was a sucessful lawyer and community organizer. Indeed, she was mentoring him at Sidley Austin LLP when they met, not the other way around. Whatever people admire her for now, she already had in spades beford her marriage. Really, she had to give up on what would likely have been the prime of her career so that Mr. Obama could be president. Being the First Lady made her famous, but it did not make her successful or admirable. That was all on her shoulders.
    Exactly. She's intelligent, articulate, has great vision and even better, the strength of character to accomplish goals. She seems to be excellent in her career as an attorney and organizer and also an excellent mother and wife. Moreover, she is extremely generous in putting her own career on hold in order to support her husband's dreams.

7. Top | #7
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Clearly everyone is forgetting she suggested children should have fruit for a snack. *triggered*

8. Top | #8
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Higgins View Post
    Clearly everyone is forgetting she suggested children should have fruit for a snack. *triggered*
    My kids grew up believing that an apple was dessert, so I think Michelle is a little soft on that issue, but otherwise, she’s cool.

9. Top | #9
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    The Big O.
    When Oprah pulls my chain, I fucking bark.

10. Top | #10
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Politesse View Post
    Typical. A woman's accomplishments are never her own. ...
    That's TOTALLY absurd. I have never, ever, ever come close to advocating any such thing. Look at my posting history, and you should discover that I have no trouble recognizing female achievement. In fact, I notice that most of the most-admired women are, indeed, achievers. One of those near the top is Oprah Winfrey, and she certainly is. She is a black woman who rose up from poverty to head a multibillion-dollar media conglomerate.

I'm asking what Michelle Obama has done apart from being Barack Obama's wife. Trying to get junk food out of school lunches, certainly. Anything more?

I'm not trying to pick on MO specifically, because the same can be said of other First Ladies. What have they accomplished? The biggest achievers are IMO Eleanor Roosevelt and Hillary Clinton. Eleanor Roosevelt was an activist for much of her life, even after FDR's death. Hillary Clinton went on to be a Senator and a Secretary of State after the end of her husband's presidency.