Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Most Admired People in the World

1. Top | #11
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lpetrich View Post
    I'm not trying to pick on MO specifically, because the same can be said of other First Ladies. What have they accomplished? The biggest achievers are IMO Eleanor Roosevelt and Hillary Clinton. Eleanor Roosevelt was an activist for much of her life, even after FDR's death. Hillary Clinton went on to be a Senator and a Secretary of State after the end of her husband's presidency.
    For a year and a half Edith Wilson was de facto acting President.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edith_Wilson

2. Top | #12
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Edith Wilson, Woodrow Wilson's wife. That's a good one. She handled a lot of business while her husband Woodrow was bedridden from a stroke.

I've found Widows who Succeeded their Husbands in Congress - 47 in all, 39 in the House and 8 in the Senate.

3. Top | #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Politesse View Post
    Typical. A woman's accomplishments are never her own. ...
    That's TOTALLY absurd. I have never, ever, ever come close to advocating any such thing. Look at my posting history, and you should discover that I have no trouble recognizing female achievement. In fact, I notice that most of the most-admired women are, indeed, achievers. One of those near the top is Oprah Winfrey, and she certainly is. She is a black woman who rose up from poverty to head a multibillion-dollar media conglomerate.

I'm asking what Michelle Obama has done apart from being Barack Obama's wife. Trying to get junk food out of school lunches, certainly. Anything more?

I'm not trying to pick on MO specifically, because the same can be said of other First Ladies. What have they accomplished? The biggest achievers are IMO Eleanor Roosevelt and Hillary Clinton. Eleanor Roosevelt was an activist for much of her life, even after FDR's death. Hillary Clinton went on to be a Senator and a Secretary of State after the end of her husband's presidency.
    Asking a question which is answered in the post you're responding to is an interesting way to demonstrate cognizance.

4. Top | #14
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Politesse View Post
    Typical. A woman's accomplishments are never her own. ...
    That's TOTALLY absurd. I have never, ever, ever come close to advocating any such thing. Look at my posting history, and you should discover that I have no trouble recognizing female achievement. In fact, I notice that most of the most-admired women are, indeed, achievers. One of those near the top is Oprah Winfrey, and she certainly is. She is a black woman who rose up from poverty to head a multibillion-dollar media conglomerate.

I'm asking what Michelle Obama has done apart from being Barack Obama's wife. Trying to get junk food out of school lunches, certainly. Anything more?

I think that during her husband's presidency, Hillary served mostly to support her husband and like many first ladies, worked a great deal behind the scenes. Since then, she's moved to the forefront. MO hasn't had the same amount of time, nor does she actually have political ambitions of her own.

During Obama's administration, MO not only undertook initiatives towards improving children's nutrition (beyond school lunches) but also increasing physical activity as well as initiatives to encourage kids to stay in school and initiatives to help girls all over the world attend and stay in school.

Prior to her husband's presidency, MO had her own career. I imagine following the same career path since the Obama presidency would present a lot of challenges to her. But, she's written a book and is a popular speaker.

5. Top | #15
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Toni View Post
    I think that during her husband's presidency, Hillary served mostly to support her husband and like many first ladies, worked a great deal behind the scenes. Since then, she's moved to the forefront. MO hasn't had the same amount of time, nor does she actually have political ambitions of her own.
    I have to concede that Hillary Clinton worked on Clintoncare. But it was a massive and complicated plan, and to this day, I have yet to find a simple summary of it. The Clinton Administration barely did anything to promote it, and it was a big fat flop.

As to behind-the-scenes support, some women may be completely happy with doing that for their husbands, but one should not expect all women to be like that -- or no women to be like that, for that matter.

Let's consider a sex-reversed situation, men who do behind-the-scene support for their wives, especially wives in high-powered careers.

Currently running for President is Kamala Harris. Her husband Douglas Emhoff's Twitter feed is Douglas Emhoff (@douglasemhoff) / Twitter Its headline picture is of KH's tour bus, with "KAMALA" on it. His feed is full of Kamala campaign videos, and it is evident that he dotes on him.

Or check out the Netflix documentary "Knock Down the House". Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez's boyfriend Riley Roberts dotes on her and helps her out with her campaign, and the two bounce ideas off of each other. Like AOC dismissing some of her primary opponent's campaign literature as "this Victoria's Secret catalog" with next to no useful information, and RR then dismissing establishment Democrats' consultants as "garbage".

Both men have something that many past women did not have - their own careers and thus economic independence from their spouses. DE is a lawyer and RR is a software developer.

If Kamala Harris becomes President, how might her husband be featured?