Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Women's Clothes and Pockets

1. Top | #21
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Toni View Post
    Well, there you go. Women don't have that kind of money to spend on frivolous items. (cough cough).
    Well they are doing brisk business.
    So some women do have that kind of money to spend on frivolous items ...

2. Top | #22
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    A very tiny percentage of women buy purses that cost 20K, just like a very tiny percentage of men buy suits or wallets that cost thousands of dollars. Some very wealthy people often spend money on unnecessary things. What's your point?

As you can see by reading the female responses here, women have different tastes in clothing. Some of us like using a purse, while some of us hate them. Some enjoy getting dressed up while some of us like casual wear. I like small purses that have little organizers inside so I can have my credit cards, health care card, driver's license etc. all easily available. My current phone just fits inside my purses, along with my keys, money and a couple of other small things. My purses are very light weight so there isn't any negative impact on my shoulders. I even have one which is basically a wallet with straps. None of them cost over 150 dollars, and they are all over ten years old, but in very good condition. Like Toni, I consider them both practical as well as pretty accessories. I love jewelry and I have quite a bit, mostly gifts from my husband. Some was passed on to me by my mother and mother in law, and some I bought for myself many years ago. But, some women hate jewelry and don't even like to wear a wedding ring, if they are married. We women are individuals, so don't try and stereotype us. I appreciate that every woman has the right to dress however she likes. My opinion shouldn't matter.

And, btw, my husband Is secure enough in his masculinity, that he's offered to hold my purse when I needed to be hands free for a short time.

3. Top | #23
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    edit

4. Top | #24
    Cyborg with a Tiara
    Archived
    Total Posts
    The question becomes then, Derec, whether you will actually HEAR the responses of actual women that belie your stereotype, or whether, as you have in the past, you will walk away having heard nothing at all and continue on the next such thread to spout stereotypes of women that have been disproven in front of you but that you are unwilling to live without?

While I enjoy your participation in many threads, I do intend to call out your refusal to hear from actual women what actual women think, and instead assign your own cartoonish caricature, regardless of evidence.

So will you hear us this time?.
    Or will you continue to spout, “yeah, but ‘women like/want/do’ this thing, even though women have said they don’t.”

5. Top | #25
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by southernhybrid View Post
    I only wear jeans and all of my jeans have pockets. But, since I almost always carry a neatly organized, very small purse, I really don't need pockets. I stopped wearing dresses when I was about 50, because I fucking hate dresses. I wear skinny jeans and nice, cotton tops. That's how I dressed for work in my last job. Nobody ever complained. Sometimes I put my phone in my pocket, but I usually hooked my key ring to one of the belt loops on my jeans.

I hate ironing, so I never do that. I hate using the dry cleaner, so I can't even remember the last time I had to have something dry cleaned. I even have a dress coat that can be washed on delicate. I wear my dress coat with jeans, of course, I just wear more jewelry and nicer shoes, if I want to dress up. Not all women enjoy wearing the same things. I think any of us who care about how they dress, develop their own style, and don't really care if anyone approves of it or not. At least a women with good self esteem isn't going to worry about what others think of her clothing. I like a very simple look, so I would never feel comfortable dressing like Pressley. To each her own.

But, like Toni, we were required to wear skirts or dresses to school way back in the day. That was so sexist.

Two years after I graduated high school, girls were permitted to wear slacks to school.
    Always loved these slacks:

https://designyoutrust.com/2018/11/p...-in-the-1970s/

6. Top | #26
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhea View Post
    The question becomes then, Derec, whether you will actually HEAR the responses of actual women that belie your stereotype, or whether, as you have in the past, you will walk away having heard nothing at all and continue on the next such thread to spout stereotypes of women that have been disproven in front of you but that you are unwilling to live without?

While I enjoy your participation in many threads, I do intend to call out your refusal to hear from actual women what actual women think, and instead assign your own cartoonish caricature, regardless of evidence.

So will you hear us this time?.
    Or will you continue to spout, “yeah, but ‘women like/want/do’ this thing, even though women have said they don’t.”
    How are women supposed to know what's best unless a man tells them?

7. Top | #27
    Veteran Member
    Traditional women had no need for pockets. They had the women's purse. Hard to carry all that stuff in pockets.

Women's blouses and pants have pockets.

8. Top | #28
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_bank View Post
    Traditional women had no need for pockets. They had the women's purse. Hard to carry all that stuff in pockets.

Women’s shirts do, indeed sometimes have pockets which typically and for most women are decorative as few women wish to mess up the symmetry of their bustling by carrying anything in those pockets. With fewer men smoking (in my circle, anyway) men’s shirt pockets are largely decorative and increasingly absent.

Most women’s pants do have pockets but again, few women are interested in adding to the bulk of their hips or backsides by storing anything in those pockets. In a pinch, I can carry my phone on my jeans but it’s not preferable to me because if a lessened degree of comfort and habit.

Those of us who watch shows which critique fashion know what women go absolutely crazy for dresses—and gowns, including bridal gowns with fuller skirts and pockets hidden in the folds. Tres convenient!

9. Top | #29
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Derec View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Toni View Post
    Well, there you go. Women don't have that kind of money to spend on frivolous items. (cough cough).
    Well they are doing brisk business.
    So some women do have that kind of money to spend on frivolous items ...
    Men, on the other hand however .....

10. Top | #30
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_bank View Post

What did "traditional women" have to carry?