Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Flat-Earthism any Wackier than Other Flavors of Religious Woo?

1. Top | #1
    Formerly Joedad
    Archived
    Total Posts

Is Flat-Earthism any Wackier than Other Flavors of Religious Woo?

If you go to youtube and search for "Is Flat Earth a Religion" you'll get plenty of results. And if you listen to the believers in flat-earthism they sound as sincere and convinced as any other religion. At first one is tempted to dismiss them as attention whores or kooks, and not religious adherents, but why do we do that?

I'm most familiar with the catholic version of christian insanity so I know all the claims, and of course they're no less outrageous, unscientific or kooky than flat-earth claims. People turn food into a 2000 year old dead man that came back to life and levitated into the sky. Is that acceptable simply because it contains claims about gods? Does that somehow bestow a rational imprimatur?

Is it possible that flat earth eaters are no different than your standard catholic? Do they just not presently have the mature institution, are they still in the upstart cult mode, and is this likely to change?

Perhaps we see flat-earthers as making scientific claims that are just wrong. If so, why would we not see standard religious claims in the same light? Do people really levitate into the sky after they've come back to life and walked through a few walls? Do flat-earthers just need a few good stories, a few flat earth scriptures like Joseph Smith used and early christians used? Will that give their claims legitimacy and recognition? Will flat-earthism be an accepted faith in future centuries? I can't think of any good reasons why it shouldn't be.

My personal take is that there isn't any difference in claiming the earth is flat or claiming that a man levitated into the sky. They're the same thing. And I think the same thing is happening in both sets of brains to enable the claims. What exactly is happening I do not know, but it's your standard human woo in both cases. It seems to be very tied to emotional gratification and not rational, scientific observation. The brain seems a little bit blind to itself.

I used to think flat-earthers were a special breed of kook but not anymore. I see them as another flavor of your standard religious stuff.

2. Top | #2
    Given the current culture, there's likely to be a major difference between the psychology of a typical Catholic and the psychology of a typical flat earther. A Catholic, typically, is simply intellectually passive - he or she was probably taught to believe in Catholicism and just never questioned it. A typical flat earther, by contrast, would have to deliberately choose to believe nonsense in a world where practically everyone emphatically disagrees with him, including the highest scientific authorities.

3. Top | #3
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by T.G.G. Moogly View Post
    Will flat-earthism be an accepted faith in future centuries? I can't think of any good reasons why it shouldn't be.

I used to think flat-earthers were a special breed of kook but not anymore. I see them as another flavor of your standard religious stuff.
    Before it becomes this "religion" as you put it above, this can be solved .....

Why not have one or two at a time go on-board a space flight/ mission (after a bit of preparation and training of course) so when they come back, it can be put to bed?

4. Top | #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Learner View Post

Why not have one or two at a time go on-board a space flight/ mission (after a bit of preparation and training of course) so when they come back, it can be put to bed?
    In my opinion that would not settle the issue. Some flat earthers are trolls, and some are so heavily invested in the earth being flat that abandoning that position would cause them terrible embarrassment. Both of these groups would simply accuse the flat earthers who went on the space flight of being part of the "conspiracy." I don't think this would convince anyone who isn't convinced by the current (utterly overwhelming, mind you) evidence.

5. Top | #5
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    For the more well known of the F.E. individuals who make vids, this would be more convincing than the current imo, there'd be no excuses when seen with their own eyes and floating around minus gravity etc..etc. I'm sure the scientific community would be up for it to invite them and tell them, we told you so.

6. Top | #6
    This would be more convincing than the current imo, there'd be no excuses when seen with their own eyes and floating around minus gravity etc..etc.
    There are no excuses now.

They could always say there were fisheye lenses over the windows or something. They are nothing if not creative.

7. Top | #7
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Well they may change their minds if they are at a particular distance where they'd see a little more of the globe, a side-view, like the equater for example, the fisheye lens wouldn't matter.

8. Top | #8
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Flat Earth belief seems to be a special grade of wackiness, perhaps even Industrial Grade Wackiness.

9. Top | #9
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by T.G.G. Moogly View Post
    Will flat-earthism be an accepted faith in future centuries? I can't think of any good reasons why it shouldn't be.

So, rather than filter people thru the various pipelines that ensure the best of the best of the best get into orbit, we send the dumbest?
    Which blocks one or two actual assets from going into orbit. Which delays their projects, and bumps everyone else's project back a launch or more.
    And we spend the millions in order to convince one or two idiots, who will convince a few of their followers, but yhe rest will insist thery either sold out or were fooled?
    Doesn't seem cost effective to legitimize the fringe. That would be a lot like flying birthers to Hawaii. Even if you convince that one, you're not going to convince many more.

10. Top | #10
    Archived
    Total Posts
    For the more well known of the F.E. individuals who make vids, this would be more convincing than the current imo, there'd be no excuses when seen with their own eyes and floating around minus gravity etc..etc. I'm sure the scientific community would be up for it to invite them and tell them, we told you so.
    "How do I KNOW i'm really 400 miles up? How do i KNOW this is the actual view thru the window, not a tv screen?"
    If thgey are invested in the conspiracy, they will resist any effort to say, Look! Duh!
    There may be no meaning to this world, but that does not mean that what I do is meaningless.
    -Mark Lawrence