Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Is Flat-Earthism any Wackier than Other Flavors of Religious Woo?

1. Top | #41
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    A Greek, of same name, determined the circumference of the Earth with the towers around 200 BC.

2. Top | #42
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith&Co. View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Higgins View Post
    Umm...

Firstly, is Eratosthenes an Egyptian name (no)?
    Does that prevent him from being a citizen of Egypt?
    Ellis Island practically made an industry of trampling people's original names by Anglicizing them. If he'd come to New York, he'd have been Error Steen. At least our ancestors had the grace to just tack on suffixes.

Eratosthenes of Cyrene, or Eratosthenes of Alexandria.

Or maybe that wasn't their name, maybe they just published their addresses the way some people @ their email with every. Single. Memo.
    Well no matter how you slice it there's a big difference between 3750 BC (as claimed in the image) and 276 - 194 BC. Mammoths had indeed gone extinct before Eratosthenes made his calculations.

Also it's a well known fact that all German artillerymen in WWI were responsible for washing their own asses.

3. Top | #43
    Veteran Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Learner View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by T.G.G. Moogly View Post
    Will flat-earthism be an accepted faith in future centuries? I can't think of any good reasons why it shouldn't be.

I used to think flat-earthers were a special breed of kook but not anymore. I see them as another flavor of your standard religious stuff.
    Before it becomes this "religion" as you put it above, this can be solved .....

Why not have one or two at a time go on-board a space flight/ mission (after a bit of preparation and training of course) so when they come back, it can be put to bed?
    If I get a free trip around the Earth in LEO, I'll claim to be the biggest and best flat-Earther out there... and then give the people that gave me the ride all the credit for opening my eyes.

4. Top | #44
    Veteran Member
    Last year I would have said that flat-earth is not a religion, but a group of people that enjoy a mega-conspiracy.
    This year, I have changed my mind. I learned that the flat-earth community not only accepts the existence of other planets, but the fact that they are spherical (!!!?!?)
    So, all planets are generally spherical, except Earth. Earth is special. Like in the bible. As described in the bible.
    religion? check.

5. Top | #45
    Formerly Joedad
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gun Nut View Post
    Last year I would have said that flat-earth is not a religion, but a group of people that enjoy a mega-conspiracy.
    This year, I have changed my mind. I learned that the flat-earth community not only accepts the existence of other planets, but the fact that they are spherical (!!!?!?)
    So, all planets are generally spherical, except Earth. Earth is special. Like in the bible. As described in the bible.
    religion? check.
    Did you ever wonder what's on the bottom side? Must be lots of roots.

6. Top | #46
    Searching for reality along the long and winding road
    Archived
    Total Posts
    religion? check.
    Did you ever wonder what's on the bottom side? Must be lots of roots.
    "Turtles... all the way down."

7. Top | #47
    Veteran Member
    my flat-earther question is "explain how gravity works in a flat-earth model".
    The response is usually a disbelief in gravity... that the force pushing us "down" is buoyancy.
    To which I respond that "buoyancy" is not a force with direction. Atmospheric pressure is all around any object. When relative density causes an object to "sink", how does it "know" what direction to go?
    Once someone said that "weight" causes the direction of the "force". To which I ask what "weight" is. Weight is a function of mass and gravity. And around and around we go.

8. Top | #48
    Formerly Joedad
    Archived
    Total Posts
    The response is usually a disbelief in gravity... that the force pushing us "down" is buoyancy.
    To which I respond that "buoyancy" is not a force with direction. Atmospheric pressure is all around any object. When relative density causes an object to "sink", how does it "know" what direction to go?
    Once someone said that "weight" causes the direction of the "force". To which I ask what "weight" is. Weight is a function of mass and gravity. And around and around we go.
    Don't waste too much breath. But I did like this video:

(View video on YouTube)

And I learned a new word, Flattard.

9. Top | #49
    Searching for reality along the long and winding road
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Don't waste too much breath.
    Excellent advice. Evidence contrary to one's belief is easily hand-waved away. Such as the video you linked can be argued by a Flattard as an example of Einstein's revelation that light is bent in a gravitational field. The light from the aircraft when it was close to the ground was 'obviously' bent into the Earth between the aircraft and the observer so didn't reach the observer. The aircraft couldn't be seen by the observer until it was high enough that the bent light reached the observer.