Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Greta Thunberg's Voyages

1. Top | #21
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Teen Climate Activist Greta Thunberg Arrives In New York After Sailing The Atlantic : NPR
    Thunberg stepped off the emission-free racing yacht that brought her and held a news conference a few minutes later, saying, "The ground is still shaking for me."

Nevertheless, Thunberg says she didn't feel seasick once during the trip, despite rough weather that delayed her arrival one day.

Asked if she had a message for President Trump, who has expressed skepticism about the science behind climate change, Thunberg said, "If no one has been able to convince him about the climate crisis — the urgency — then why should I be able to do that
    She's been an activist for some time.
    Thunberg says she first learned about climate change when she was 8 years old and became very concerned about the future of humanity. At age 11, she says, she was depressed and stopped talking and eating.

"Later on I was diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome, OCD and selective mutism," she told a crowd gathered for a 2018 TED Talk in Stockholm. "That basically means I only speak when I think it's necessary. Now is one of those moments."

On Aug. 20, 2018, Thunberg began skipping school and protesting by herself outside Sweden's parliament. She called it a school strike and demanded that adults do more about climate change
    GT's autism may have made it easy for explaining the problem in general terms, and her "School Strike" activism got a lot of additional participants, in Sweden and in several other countries.

Ocasio-Cortez welcomes arrival of teen climate activist Greta Thunberg | TheHill
    Greta Thunberg on Twitter: "Manhattan! https://t.co/8SxPYk2WRk" / Twitter - with a picture of Manhattan's skyline in the distance.
    with response
    Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "@GretaThunberg Welcome, Greta! We are so proud of you!" / Twitter

I couldn't resist.
    Alexandria Villaseñor on Twitter: "Today on the hill...
    Alexandria y Alexandria. ❤
    @AOC.
    @CleanAirMoms #PlayIn4Climate https://t.co/nVi3xUSiyV" / Twitter

Alexandria Villaseñor on Twitter: "And finally, we were tentatively scheduled with @AOC, but she was still in "mark up" (meetings!) so we missed her! I had a great convo with her staff and plan to visit again when I'm back in DC this summer. I can't wait to have the "Alexandria Climate Summit"! 🤗🌎🌍🌏 https://t.co/Bl00h2mO7V" / Twitter

Mark Maslin on Twitter: "I’m a #climatechange scientist but rarely take my work home. You don’t want to go home telling your family the world is screwed. My 13-year old daughter surprised me when she decided to go on #ClimateStrike - so I decided to interview her to find out why https://t.co/kQwtvuXBn7" / Twitter

2. Top | #22
    The Sunshine State: The one with Crocs, not Gators
    Archived
    Total Posts
    It's a good stunt, and if it gets plenty of attention, I guess it might have future effects that more than offset the emissions due to the two men who are flying out from Sweden to take the yacht back.

Any word on how Greta plans to get home?

3. Top | #23
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Nothing yet on how she plans to return. She intends to travel through North America and South America, and attend a climate conference in Santiago, Chile, as well as a soon-upcoming one in New York City. I'm guessing that she might cross bodies of water by going by freighter.

4. Top | #24
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Love how the rich give us 'examples' like a boat that probably wiped out a budget that would have paid for our town's costs for a year ..... how courageous. The young. blessem

5. Top | #25
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lpetrich View Post
    Nothing yet on how she plans to return. She intends to travel through North America and South America, and attend a climate conference in Santiago, Chile, as well as a soon-upcoming one in New York City. I'm guessing that she might cross bodies of water by going by freighter.
    Maybe climate change activist Leonardo DeCaprio will give her a ride back to Sweden on his private jet. They could have a nice chat on the way back talking about how irresponsible, reckless and ignorant people are regarding saving our environment.

6. Top | #26
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Greta Thunberg Lands in NYC Ahead of UN Climate Summit: Photos
    The air at North Cove Marina, a small slip amid the towering high rises of Lower Manhattan, felt pregnant. With rain. With hope. With anticipation.

Greta Thunberg, the 16-year-old Swedish activist trying to turn the world back from the climate crisis brink, had spent the night docked off Coney Island after 330 hours at sea. On Wednesday afternoon, the solar-powered yacht that had ushered her across from England to American shores entered New York Harbor, zig-zagging up the western flank of the island. Onlookers gathered, waiting for Thunberg to take her first wobbly steps on American shores since becoming a climate icon.
    With lots of nice pictures.

Greta Thunberg crossed the ocean on a carbon-free sailboat. Can we do it too? | Popular Science
    Thunberg's 14-day voyage was significantly faster than the typical sail time of three to four weeks, but that's still not for anyone in a rush. Speed comes at the cost of comfort, too. Pictures from inside Malizia II show a pared-down interior, even lacking a functional toilet on board. Such extreme measures are unlikely to interest most travelers and, at any rate, hopping on one of the world's fastest wind-powered yachts isn't an option for most of us.

But sailing is a more feasible option than you might think. Private boats cross the ocean constantly. New online services that match boat owners with travelers mean that hitching a ride is more plausible than ever. For those with the right skills, this could be as a member of the boat’s crew, and for those without, as a passenger. Some boats require payment; others don’t.
    Seems to me that the most plausible carbon-neutral alternative is synthetic fuels -- power-to-gas and power-to-liquids. Synfuels still don't have the sort of buzz about them that (say) batteries do, however.

7. Top | #27
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Complaining about the return voyage fuel is totally missing the point. This is about spreading information.

Greta seems literally autistic (not the internet insult) in her mannerisms. Is she being taken advantage of?

Anyway, despite being "right wing" I am very, very bearish on our capacity to fix this stuff with resource depletion and global warming. Not all right wingers are like "America is great, but even more burgers, SUVs and bomb fishing will make it better".

Essentially I probably have the immigration stance of the Sierra Club in 1985. But capitalist companies that pander to identity politics have pullled the EMOTIONAL wool over the eyes of TECHNICAL geniuses like lpetrich. They are playing you.

8. Top | #28
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Climate change responding is not a matter of saving, preserving, conserving. Climate change responding is about continuing life on this little ball of rock with water. I await with dread breath the devastation that will accompany release of methane when permafrost disappears. Can you say 500 feet rise in ocean levels for starters?

As for those like Greta we need to remind the waste they ignore required to provide a ride in safe efficient craft. Bilby, as usual, has his finger neatly on the pulse of ecomania when he broadcasts costs of 'green' initiatives . Of course even he ignores the costs of realizing his remedies which, though better, are also very environment hostile. Glass houses. There's another problem.