Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Florida Stand Your Ground Allows Another Murder to Go Unprosecuted

1. Top | #1
    Archived
    Total Posts

Florida Stand Your Ground Allows Another Murder to Go Unprosecuted

Of course, one way to make sure someone goes unconvicted is to simply never charge them in the first place. thanks Florida State Attorney!

http://www.ocala.com/article/2014071...9997?p=1&tc=pg

Once again, the dead person is demonized (even though earlier reports had the victim as universally well-liked), but even if he was the bad guy the State Attorney wants us to now believe he was... he was shot TEN TiMES IN THE BACK while he was walking away.

Unlike most other SYG case (Zimmerman, Dunn, Waner in Detroit), it is clear that TJ Brown did in fact start an actual violent confrontation. But this case even better highlights what is fucked up about this SYG law - it is basically legalizing vigilante acts. Colt Thiemer had ever opportunity to retreat, every opportunity to avoid killing another human being. TJ Brown was WALKING AWAY. Instead of retreating, calling police, etc, Colt Thiemer decided to kill the retreating man, flee the scene, then later claim "fear for his life"
    Last edited by RavenSky; 08-08-2014 at 12:12 PM.

2. Top | #2
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RavenSky View Post
    Of course, one way to make sure a cowardly SYG murderer goes unconvicted is to simply never charge them in the first place. thanks Florida State Attorney!
    Well, yes. The crafty authors of the law made sure to spell out that someone with an SYG defense cannot be prosecuted. The DA would be breaking the law by charging them.
    d is immune from criminal prosecution and civil action for the use of such force … . As used in this subsection, the term “criminal prosecution” includes arresting, detaining in custody, and charging or prosecuting the defendant.
    (2) A law enforcement agency may use standard procedures for investigating the use of force as described in subsection (1), but the agency may not arrest the person for using force unless it determines that there is probable cause that the force that was used was unlawful.24

3. Top | #3
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I doubt threat of prosecution would have prevented this.
    Medical fact is, 20 year olds can not be fully trusted with guns, they don't have fully developed prefrontal cortex for that. They are still basically kids.

4. Top | #4
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Well, if that's true then they were not friends anymore.

5. Top | #5
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by barbos View Post
    Medical fact is, 20 year olds can not be fully trusted with guns, they don't have fully developed prefrontal cortex for that. They are still basically kids.
    I hope this is a facetious statement. I know quite a few under 20 year olds who were given an automatic rifle by their government.

6. Top | #6
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronzeage View Post
    I hope this is a facetious statement. I know quite a few under 20 year olds who were given an automatic rifle by their government.
    Yeah, and government have older folk to watch them.
    When I say "medical fact", I "mean medical fact".
    There is a reason why drivers under 25 pay higher insurance - prefrontal cortex is not fully developed.

7. Top | #7
    Archived
    Total Posts

Yeah, and government have older folk to watch them.
    When I say "medical fact", I "mean medical fact".
    There is a reason why drivers under 25 pay higher insurance - prefrontal cortex is not fully developed.
    I thought it was because they had a higher rate of accidents, something much easier to quantify than prefrontal cortex development.

It's nice to cite a general medical fact, but relating this fact to the actions of an individual is not valid, as many millions of under 25 year olds can be found making critical decisions in moments of great stress, and making the correct decision.

8. Top | #8
    Super Moderator
    Archived
    Total Posts
    It's nice to cite a general medical fact, but relating this fact to the actions of an individual is not valid, as many millions of under 25 year olds can be found making critical decisions in moments of great stress, and making the correct decision.
    I don't know. A lot of that group is going and getting a degree in History or Philosophy or some shit like that and expecting to find a job afterwards and many of them buy Justin Beiber records, so those things kind of undercut your position.

9. Top | #9
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Sawyer View Post
    I don't know. A lot of that group is going and getting a degree in History or Philosophy or some shit like that and expecting to find a job afterwards and many of them buy Justin Beiber records, so those things kind of undercut your position.
    I suppose you may be right. The degree in history and philosophy was invented when there was an active selective service draft. When the draft ended, the thing had some kind of inertia of its own and just wouldn't stop. This doesn't explain the Bieber records, but we must remember, most of those purchases are made by 12 year olds, who aren't trusted with a driving license or an assault rifle, in most states. I'm not sure about Canadian regulations.

10. Top | #10
    Super Moderator
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I suppose you may be right. The degree in history and philosophy was invented when there was an active selective service draft. When the draft ended, the thing had some kind of inertia of its own and just wouldn't stop. This doesn't explain the Bieber records, but we must remember, most of those purchases are made by 12 year olds, who aren't trusted with a driving license or an assault rifle, in most states. I'm not sure about Canadian regulations.
    I don't know. We didn't have a draft and we still have a bunch of people spending years of their life getting those degrees and then wondering why they're living in their parents' basement as opposed to in a mansion on their private island. The under-developed brains is a better explanation.

Also, Canadians don't buy Beiber records. You Yanks raised the import duties on forestry products as part of a trade war, so we sent him down to the States as a retaliatory attack. Then you folded and dropped the taxes but we just left him down there because ... because fuck you, that's why.