Thread: The Heartland Institute’s Very Stupid New Medicare for All Report

1. Top | #71
    Formerly Joedad
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by T.G.G. Moogly View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by southernhybrid View Post
    I see nothing wrong with expecting everyone to pay reasonable premium and copays, especially when you consider that lifestyle choices impact one's health to a large extent, yet most people make no attempt to change some of their unhealthy habits.
    If I smoke or use tobacco should I have to pay an additional cost for my health insurance over and above what someone pays who does not smoke?

If I am overweight should I have to pay an additional cost for my health insurance over and above what someone pays who is not overweight?

If I have three speeding tickets on my record should I have to pay an additional cost for my auto insurance over and above what someone pays who does not have three speeding tickets?

Should my auto insurance pay for my new engine because I did not check or ever change the oil?

If I use tobacco, drink, am 80 pounds overweight and take diabetes medication, blood pressure medication, and cholesterol medication should I have to pay an additional cost for my health insurance and medications over and above what someone pays who does not smoke, is not overweight, does not smoke and does not need these medications?

Should my auto insurer be allowed to deny my claim for a new engine simply because I never checked or changed the oil?

Should there be any financial incentive of any kind in an insurance policy that would encourage a person to not need to make claims?

I'll stop there for now.
    Some of these yes, some of these no.

I'm in favor of adjusting premiums for things that are reasonably under a patient's control, but not for things not under the patient's control. Smoking, alcohol use and overweight without a medical cause are examples of things under your control.

The medicines you mention, however, are consequences, not causes. They should not have any bearing on your premium.
    Agreed that medicines like insulin for type 1 diabetics should certainly be covered. This is an example of something out of a person's control, and is the very reason to be insured. If a person's behavior, however is that they use tobacco, drink, are overweight 80 pounds, don't exercise and have a shit diet, the resulting necessary meds should come with an additional cost, as should the premium also.

2. Top | #72
    Formerly Joedad
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dismal View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by barbos View Post
    They should make insurance cheaper for smokers
    That's what it's there for!

Why should you absorb the cost of your risky behavior when someone else can?
    Sarcasm noted.

I agree that in an ideal insurance world no one wishes to ever file a claim. Behavior is such that the insured do all in their power to avoid filing claims.

3. Top | #73
    Super Moderator
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by T.G.G. Moogly View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel View Post

Some of these yes, some of these no.

I'm in favor of adjusting premiums for things that are reasonably under a patient's control, but not for things not under the patient's control. Smoking, alcohol use and overweight without a medical cause are examples of things under your control.

The medicines you mention, however, are consequences, not causes. They should not have any bearing on your premium.
    Agreed that medicines like insulin for type 1 diabetics should certainly be covered. This is an example of something out of a person's control, and is the very reason to be insured. If a person's behavior, however is that they use tobacco, drink, are overweight 80 pounds, don't exercise and have a shit diet, the resulting necessary meds should come with an additional cost, as should the premium also.
    Additional cost on the treatment + higher premiums is a form of double punishment.