Thread: Vinko Bogataj - "The Agony of Defeat"

1. Top | #1
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts

Vinko Bogataj - "The Agony of Defeat"

My family buys me a "Jeopardy" daily calendar every year, so I can remind myself every morning how much useless crap my brain has accumulated. The name of the person in today's clue, Vinko Bogataj of Slovenia, would be known to virtually no one, but if you say, "the 'Agony of Defeat' guy", anyone who watched sports in the 70's and 80's will instantly remember him and his infamously unfortunate attempt to abort a ski-flying run. ABC's "Wide World of Sports" made it part of the show's opening clips, and a star was born.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKEDD1i4oGk

The first time you saw his limp body bounce into a retaining fence, you immediately thought, "He's dead, Jim". But not only was he not dead, he only sustained a mild concussion and broken ankle, and resumed training/competing three months later.

He had no idea that he had been world-famous for years, until he was invited to the 20th anniversary celebration of WWoS, and Muhammad Ali asked for his autograph.

2. Top | #2
    Archived
    Total Posts
    The only sports I watched at that time was the Olympics. And yes, I instantly knew who you meant.

But I thought he was dead simply because I couldn't imagine having to live with the knowledge you were the Agony of Defeat guy...