Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 22

Thread: Flat Earth

  1. Top | #11
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    24,128
    Archived
    96,752
    Total Posts
    120,880
    Rep Power
    95
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowy Man View Post
    Flat Earthers always focus on the curvature of the Earth as seen at the surface because it is one of the harder ways to prove the Earth is round. There is no flat earth model that can explain the motions of the Sun, Moon, stars and planets in the sky. The models I have seen make predictions that are demonstrably false, while the round Earth, heliocentric model explains all those motions, all with a single simple law of gravity.

    Even if we lived on a planet the size of Jupiter, we could tell it was round just by viewing the sky.

    Most Flat Earthers don't even has one iota of an understanding of simple geometry, trigonometry or three dimensional thinking. Their arguments will only sway like minded people. It's quite amazing to see the terrible thinking skills they demonstrate in their youtube videos. Astounding!
    Quote Originally Posted by DBT View Post
    Unbelievable as it sounds, like BS to me, I have come across an actual Flat Earther, astonished as I was, I pointed out that you can see the curvature of the horizon, ships 'falling' off the horizon in the distance, etc, but she said that this is the illusion of distance not curvature, at which point I dropped the subject and moved onto another topic
    While it's normally considered that you can't actually see the curvature (just the effects, like ships hulls disappearing before their upperworks) I actually have seen it. The only place I'm aware of where this is possible is the eastern slopes of Mt. Kilimanjaro. When the sun starts to rise it is at first just a line of fire on the horizon. I could see a slight bend to the line of fire, it wasn't straight like a flat Earth would imply.

    There are other places where you can get higher but AFIAK there is no other place where you can get that high while looking out over plains without any other mountains in the way.

  2. Top | #12
    Contributor DBT's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    ɹǝpunuʍop puɐן ǝɥʇ
    Posts
    8,677
    Archived
    17,906
    Total Posts
    26,583
    Rep Power
    69
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowy Man View Post
    Flat Earthers always focus on the curvature of the Earth as seen at the surface because it is one of the harder ways to prove the Earth is round. There is no flat earth model that can explain the motions of the Sun, Moon, stars and planets in the sky. The models I have seen make predictions that are demonstrably false, while the round Earth, heliocentric model explains all those motions, all with a single simple law of gravity.

    Even if we lived on a planet the size of Jupiter, we could tell it was round just by viewing the sky.

    Most Flat Earthers don't even has one iota of an understanding of simple geometry, trigonometry or three dimensional thinking. Their arguments will only sway like minded people. It's quite amazing to see the terrible thinking skills they demonstrate in their youtube videos. Astounding!
    Quote Originally Posted by DBT View Post
    Unbelievable as it sounds, like BS to me, I have come across an actual Flat Earther, astonished as I was, I pointed out that you can see the curvature of the horizon, ships 'falling' off the horizon in the distance, etc, but she said that this is the illusion of distance not curvature, at which point I dropped the subject and moved onto another topic
    While it's normally considered that you can't actually see the curvature (just the effects, like ships hulls disappearing before their upperworks) I actually have seen it. The only place I'm aware of where this is possible is the eastern slopes of Mt. Kilimanjaro. When the sun starts to rise it is at first just a line of fire on the horizon. I could see a slight bend to the line of fire, it wasn't straight like a flat Earth would imply.

    There are other places where you can get higher but AFIAK there is no other place where you can get that high while looking out over plains without any other mountains in the way.
    Curvature can be clearly seen while flying, the lady I was talking to had flown to Europe on occasion, yet apparently maintained her belief in distance rather than curvature.

  3. Top | #13
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    seattle
    Posts
    4,750
    Rep Power
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowy Man View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_bank View Post
    Democracy is supposed to depend on a educated reasoning population. How can one get through any high school and believe FE?
    The real problem isn't the lack of education, it's the supreme confidence these people have in the face of their lack of education.

    "I don't understand the physics, therefore the physics must be wrong."
    Good point, I have not looked at it that way before. Ignorance as a sort of defense mechanism.

  4. Top | #14
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    West Coast
    Posts
    1,752
    Archived
    7,585
    Total Posts
    9,337
    Rep Power
    64
    Quote Originally Posted by DBT View Post

    Curvature can be clearly seen while flying, the lady I was talking to had flown to Europe on occasion, yet apparently maintained her belief in distance rather than curvature.
    I saw a video of a British flat earther being interviewed on a morning talk show and when the show’s host told him he once flew on the Concorde and saw curvature the flat earther’s response was “what shape were the windows?”

  5. Top | #15
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    seattle
    Posts
    4,750
    Rep Power
    11
    If I did not have a sense of ethics I would start writing books and fleece the sheep.

  6. Top | #16
    Contributor DBT's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    ɹǝpunuʍop puɐן ǝɥʇ
    Posts
    8,677
    Archived
    17,906
    Total Posts
    26,583
    Rep Power
    69

  7. Top | #17
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    24,128
    Archived
    96,752
    Total Posts
    120,880
    Rep Power
    95
    Another proof the Earth is flat:

    https://www.usu.edu/geo/geomorph/kansas.html

    They're only talking about Kansas but the maps don't show anything special about Kansas, if it's that flat then the whole world must also be!

  8. Top | #18
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    West Coast
    Posts
    1,752
    Archived
    7,585
    Total Posts
    9,337
    Rep Power
    64
    A lot of their arguments seem to follow the same basic structure:

    "I have a flawed expectation of what the world would look and/or feel like if it were round. The world doesn't look and/or feel like that. Therefore the world isn't round."

    I think this is basically the strawman fallacy. Though they may believe the strawman is real, and so they aren't necessarily intrinsically being deceptive in their logic.

    There's also a lot of two dimensional thinking and inability to comprehend the scales involved.

  9. Top | #19
    Member Tharmas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    471
    Archived
    184
    Total Posts
    655
    Rep Power
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by DBT View Post
    I looked at the book to see who originated the great lie. A great many of the pages were blanked out. However from what I could read, the conspiracy originates with Zionism. And Communism. Which, it turns out, are the same thing. I could find no explanation of why it is to the advantage of Communism or Zionism to advance the round earth theory. How does that help their quest for world domination? Perhaps someone can educate me.

  10. Top | #20
    Contributor DBT's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    ɹǝpunuʍop puɐן ǝɥʇ
    Posts
    8,677
    Archived
    17,906
    Total Posts
    26,583
    Rep Power
    69
    Quote Originally Posted by Tharmas View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DBT View Post
    I looked at the book to see who originated the great lie. A great many of the pages were blanked out. However from what I could read, the conspiracy originates with Zionism. And Communism. Which, it turns out, are the same thing. I could find no explanation of why it is to the advantage of Communism or Zionism to advance the round earth theory. How does that help their quest for world domination? Perhaps someone can educate me.
    I skimmed through a few pages. It seems like a lot of work and effort for a whole lot of nothing. Could be worth reading for its entertainment value.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •