Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: This week in vegan overreach

1. Top | #1
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts

This week in vegan overreach

Outgoing Greens MLA (member of the legislative assembly) Caroline Le Couteur wants vegan food to the default option in ACT hospitals:
    https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-08-...-cody/11435976

Greens MLA Caroline Le Couteur's motion, which called on the Government to support a shift to more plant-based food options, was overwhelmingly voted against in the Assembly on Wednesday afternoon.

Ms Le Couteur's proposal would, among other things, change the default meal in hospitals to be plant-based, unless patients requested a specific meal.

The Greens MLA pointed to a recent report by the International Panel on Climate Change which emphasised the importance of shifting towards plant-based diets to reduce greenhouse gas emissions.

The motion called on the ACT Education Directorate to require "all school canteens to provide plant-based food options for students", and update health promotion programs to better support plant-based foods.

All events catered by the ACT Government would be required to "include plant-based food options in sufficient quantity to adequately cater for vegetarians and vegans".
    I don't mind the government providing options, but most people are not vegans and the idea that you'd actively have to opt out or be served a plate of vegan sadness while you're sick in hospital probably was a misstep. You know your idea is bad when even the ACT Labor party (with whom the Greens are in a coalition government) can't support the virtue signalling.

Meanwhile, over in Victoria, a state MP is pushing for 'meat free Mondays' in Parliament.

And in NSW, a vegan mother (and her gormless, spineless husband) has been sentenced for her vegan food choices causing severe malnourishment and developmental delays in her youngest child.

2. Top | #2
    Well, Caroline Le Couteur insists that her proposals were about providing more non-meat options and that everything was to be voluntary, not compulsory. It's being reported that she proposed making meat-free the default option in hospitals though.

As far as I am aware, meat production and consumption is contributing to climate change, so I'm fine with proposals to eat less meat. The Irish Prime Minister has suggested it.

Yes, I'm sure some vegans will go too far.

3. Top | #3
    Veteran Member TV and credit cards's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Beyond Sausages are pretty doggone good. They sizzle and pop in the pan just like a sausage should. I'll bet even Bec Cody could wolf one down.
    Dwight

4. Top | #4
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ruby sparks View Post
    Well, Caroline Le Couteur insists that her proposals were about providing more non-meat options and that everything was to be voluntary, not compulsory. It's being reported that she proposed making meat-free the default option in hospitals though.

As far as I am aware, meat production and consumption is contributing to climate change, so I'm fine with proposals to eat less meat. The Irish Prime Minister has suggested it.

It's one thing to propose it. It's another to formulate public policy proposals (like forcing sick people to opt out of vegan meals), or to interfere with other people in your workplace (like the meat-free Monday parliament nonsense).

Mind you, this is the least of Le Couteur's sins. She proposed that the accused in rape cases should have the burden of proof to show he got consent.

5. Top | #5
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts

This week in vegan overreach

Quote Originally Posted by ruby sparks View Post

Technically meat production at the scale needed to please the first world will make bacterial infections deadly again due to antibiotic use that allows raising so many animals.

In the end vegans might die because of the meat industry and the demands of the first world.

But you know, feel free to whine about overreach that went absolutely no where. Musn’t be much to complain about today.

6. Top | #6
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Let's suppose that this proposal is adopted. Just think of the utter terror and effort on the part of non-vegans in having to make a choice!!!! Wow.

7. Top | #7
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Someone should play her own game and make "meat only" menus and see how she likes it. Give her a taste of her own medicine.

8. Top | #8
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    You'll eat your kale bologna and like it.

9. Top | #9
    Veteran Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TV and credit cards View Post
    Beyond Sausages are pretty doggone good. They sizzle and pop in the pan just like a sausage should. I'll bet even Bec Cody could wolf one down.
    Beyond Beef (pee protein based fake ground beef) smells awful as it cooks.. like overcooked vegetables. It does sizzle and brown like meat. Assembled into a burger, I can say (as an anti-vegan omnivore that believes that veganism is an ideological eating disorder) that it is an excellently made substitute for a real burger patty. It has the correct texture, like that of an 80% lean ground beef.. .and even looks like it. It tastes like grilled beef.
    BUT... here was the real test... my cats DEVOURED it. They won't eat vegetables.... no carrots or pees or anything like that... they are strict carnivores by their own choice... and I gave them a taste and they begged for more... So it fooled two cats pretty good.
    Burger King is advertising the "impossible burger"...100% plant-based.. and I believe they could pull it off now that I have tried the concept at home myself.

10. Top | #10
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Burger King didn't develop the "impossible burger", a private company did that and sold it to other places to sell in restaurants. And then Burger King decided to buy all of them.