Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: One Down, One To Go

1. Top | #21
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bomb#20 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ZiprHead View Post
    David Koch, billionaire conservative activist and philanthropist, dies at 79

All that money hoarded and he still died like everyone else will.
    Those sentences really don't go together.
    One can give away much of one's money without giving away all of it.

2. Top | #22
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TSwizzle View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarhyn View Post

Says a climate change denier. The Amazon and the Arctic burn. Greenland is melting. The ice caps are vanishing. But "This is fine."

You get a grip. On the Calthrate gun and real climate science.
    It really is a rapture like cult.

Yeah, you're not really seeing the whole point of the discussion if you really think that. It just means we need to start regulating our actions: we are quite fairly fucked now, but we might not be quite completely fucked so long as we change our behavior.

You are essentially behaving as per the trope "maybe if I stick my head in the sand I will not get eaten".

3. Top | #23
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by southernhybrid View Post
    I don't think you're looking at the full impact of their influence. It's not their politics, per se, it's the way they used their money to influence politics, in ways that very few people can.

It's the dirty deeds,
    ... done dirt cheap?

like stealing oil from Indian reservations than hiding or destroying the documentation,
    Can you be more specific about this instance where they "stole" oil from an Indian reservation?

when they were being investigated. It's how they used their political influence to help impact regulations regarding their own industries. Those are a few of the things that make them despised.

And, while it's true they did give some money to charities, it was a total of about 1.2 billion, which considering that Koch is worth something like 42 billion, is not really a sacrifice at all.
    I wonder how much of his net worth he left to charities in his will.

I did a little happy dance when I heard of his death.
    That's such a weird hatred to have. I reserve this for truly horrible people.

4. Top | #24
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RVonse View Post
    Indeed. And 79 is not really that old nowadays either, especially if you are 62 like I am. It is very very sobering to say the least when someone with virtually unlimited resources still can not manage to keep themselves alive.
    Wealth can certainly help, but it is no panacea.

Without life, all the money in the world means nothing at all.
    True. I hope he found ways to enjoy his wealth. What I really don't get is those "millionaires next door" that live like the poors but when they die it turns out they secretly had a lot of money. Money is nothing but a handy exchange medium for goods and services. If you don't want to acquire goods or obtain services, what good is money?

5. Top | #25
    Veteran Member
    Yeah, you're not really seeing the whole point of the discussion if you really think that.
    Your point seemed to be that two brothers "may have single-handedly doomed our species". This is utter tosh.

It just means we need to start regulating our actions: we are quite fairly fucked now, but we might not be quite completely fucked so long as we change our behavior.
    What's this "we" business ? It's your religion, don't get me involved.

6. Top | #26
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Yeah, you're not really seeing the whole point of the discussion if you really think that.
    Your point seemed to be that two brothers "may have single-handedly doomed our species". This is utter tosh.

It just means we need to start regulating our actions: we are quite fairly fucked now, but we might not be quite completely fucked so long as we change our behavior.
    We are all people on the same boat. If you can't be bothered to help bail and stop drilling holes in the floor, through your exclusion of "we", "we" should get down to throwing you overboard entirely.

The Calthrate gun is real, and you and your kind (most certainly not something I would consider "people") wish to ignore it and let it kill us. Environments like that of Venus are the result of the kind of feedback loop we are approaching.

There's nothing religious about it. Other than your religious denial of actual science.

7. Top | #27
    Veteran Member

We are all people on the same boat. If you can't be bothered to help bail and stop drilling holes in the floor, through your exclusion of "we", "we" should get down to throwing you overboard entirely.

The Calthrate gun is real, and you and your kind (most certainly not something I would consider "people") wish to ignore it and let it kill us. Environments like that of Venus are the result of the kind of feedback loop we are approaching.

There's nothing religious about it. Other than your religious denial of actual science.
    It really is a rapture like cult for you. Bonkers.

And I'm out

8. Top | #28
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    The Calthrate gun is real,
    It may be real.
    But that doesn't change the fact that we can't decarbonize the world economy overnight. We can't even do it within 10 years envisioned by Corporal Sandy's Green New Deal without doing serious economic damage. And Bernie's version of the GND, while it has some good ideas, would cost 1.6 trillion per year over the next 10 years. And even if US were to bite the bullet, what about China? India? Russia?

9. Top | #29
    Loony Running The Asylum ZiprHead's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    ITMFA

When conservatives realize they cannot win democratically, they will not abandon conservatism. They will abandon democracy.

You submit to tyranny when you renounce truth. - Timothy Snyder

10. Top | #30
    Loony Running The Asylum ZiprHead's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    The Koch Money Was a Primary Vector for the Prion Disease That's Infected the Republican Party

Fair warning. I am about to speak very ill of the dead. David Koch went to his eternal barbecue spit on Friday. Except for his surviving brother, Charles, no man had a worse effect on American politics since the death of John C. Calhoun. Every malignancy currently afflicting us can be traced in one way or another into their wallets, and that's not even to mention the lasting damage they've done to the planet as a whole. Sorry, Morning Joe gang, I wouldn't care if they opened branches of the National Museum of Puppies and Rainbows in every congressional district in the United States. The Koch brothers financed the wrecking ball that is still doing damage, and now one of them is dead, and, if I am not rejoicing, I am breathing deep sighs of relief and praying deep prayers of thanksgiving.
    ITMFA

When conservatives realize they cannot win democratically, they will not abandon conservatism. They will abandon democracy.

You submit to tyranny when you renounce truth. - Timothy Snyder