Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Mathematical truths v. scientific truths (knowledge of)

1. Top | #31
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skepticalbip View Post
    I don't know why but I am still always amazed that there are still people that apparently believe that nihilistic 'ideas' of reality are deep, meaningful, and original philosophical concepts.
    Always the expert on the snide comment.
    EB

2. Top | #32
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fromderinside View Post
    Letting it dangle.
    Balls.
    EB

3. Top | #33
    Veteran Member
    Kissing in movies ranges from four lips touching to eating face and obvious tongue thrusting in current movies when it's obvious such evolved since early film as more explicit sex became acceptable in public media. So why not nihilistic 'ideas' of reality being deep, meaningful as original philosophical concepts as seen by the public even though such is vestigial philosophy to those who study philosophy.

I think we just finished a topic where falsification has become less of a thing now that Popper acknowledges he's had his lunch handed to him while those who read only philosophical analysis of scientific thinking still persist in shoveling that shit simply because they haven't got off the cause and effect bandwagon of scientism. Sometimes -sisms need to be sworn at. Letting it dangle.
    Friends, Romans, and countrymen...we come to bury Popper not praise him.

I found Popper's book Objective Knowledge An Evolutionary approach to generally match my experience.

Scientific truth is as much a subjective social process as an empirical experimental process. If you rejct testability then creationism becomes science.

I go by Popper, the only reasonable objective truth is an experiment. As discussion centered on the experiment widens and propagates it becomes increasingly subjective. QM many worlds. Philosophical -isms speculating on experiment.

4. Top | #34
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Balls don't hang. Scrotum does.

5. Top | #35
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_bank View Post
    Kissing in movies ranges from four lips touching to eating face and obvious tongue thrusting in current movies when it's obvious such evolved since early film as more explicit sex became acceptable in public media. So why not nihilistic 'ideas' of reality being deep, meaningful as original philosophical concepts as seen by the public even though such is vestigial philosophy to those who study philosophy.

I think we just finished a topic where falsification has become less of a thing now that Popper acknowledges he's had his lunch handed to him while those who read only philosophical analysis of scientific thinking still persist in shoveling that shit simply because they haven't got off the cause and effect bandwagon of scientism. Sometimes -sisms need to be sworn at. Letting it dangle.
    Friends, Romans, and countrymen...we come to bury Popper not praise him.

I found Popper's book Objective Knowledge An Evolutionary approach to generally match my experience.

Scientific truth is as much a subjective social process as an empirical experimental process. If you reject testability then creationism becomes science.

I go by Popper, the only reasonable objective truth is an experiment. As discussion centered on the experiment widens and propagates it becomes increasingly subjective. QM many worlds. Philosophical -isms speculating on experiment.
    finding, matching experience are stuff of hearsay.

6. Top | #36
    Veteran Member
    Sounds like somebody is cranky from a touch of constipation. A fiber supplement might improve the disposition.