Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did your life ever flash before your eyes?

1. Top | #1
    Archived
    Total Posts

Did your life ever flash before your eyes?

Mine never has. Not in the cliché sense.
    A couple times when i was pretty sure we were going to die, i remembered my wife very vividly.

And one time i hit black ice, and i saw my guardian angel, and she was pissed!

But nothing like the Hollywood short summary of how i got to where i was.

Anyone ever see that?

2. Top | #2
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I once had a bike accident where I went over a car and landed on my chin. Thought I had broken my neck until sensation returned. I thought that one would have been a candidate for the flashing scenario. No dice.

Thank god for helmets.
    My Brane Hertz

3. Top | #3
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Nope.

Just about 7 months ago I wound up in the ICU. Dangerously high blood pressure. I went to urgent care because I was feeling off, and they sent me straight away to the ER. Doctors around me being preternaturally calm. The whole thing where you're rolling down the hallways of the hospital in the gurney with the lights overhead as you bust through the doors on your way upstairs to your room where they try very hard to make you not die.

The past was not my concern. It was the present. For some reason there was an analog clock on the opposite wall...an anachronism in a heart hospital's Intensive Care Unit...and that clock became the measure of my life. Okay, it's 8 o'clock. I'm still alive. Now it's 8:30. Still alive. 9 o'clock. Not dead. And so on.

My family, my friends, my job, my previous life all fell away and that clock - counting up rather than counting down - became my world. Rather than flashing back on my life, I was living moment to moment. It was a helluva thing.

4. Top | #4
    Archived
    Total Posts
    In an accident things seem to go into relatively slow motion, that's all I can say.

5. Top | #5
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    My head once collided with another person's head during a game of flag football and for a brief moment I was seeing things as if I were in an entirely different location.

6. Top | #6
    Contributor
    Nope. Took a spill on a motorcycle in the 80s, gravel in a turn. I watched it all in vivid slo mo like a movie. Went over backwards on the road and cracked my helmet..thank the deities for helmets. Got up and went on my way.

Had a near death experience with heart failure. It was actually very peaceful. No life flashing, floating out of body, or a light at the end of a tunnel. I came out of it and called 911.

7. Top | #7
    Super Moderator
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Sometimes I think it does, but then I realize that it's actually the case that I'm quite boring and have just been doing the exact same thing for the past twenty years.

8. Top | #8
    The Sunshine State: The one with Crocs, not Gators
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Sure. It's been happening for over forty nine years so far. I don't even remember most of the early part anymore.

9. Top | #9
    Veteran Member TV and credit cards's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Saw red once. Tunnel vision. Blood red periphery. Right side of my upper lip was curling involuntarily. Must have been quite a sight.
    Maybe the other guy saw his life flash before his eyes because I never had an issue with him again.
    I mean, we’ve all have our limits, right?
    Dwight

10. Top | #10
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Sawyer View Post
    Sometimes I think it does, but then I realize that it's actually the case that I'm quite boring and have just been doing the exact same thing for the past twenty years.
    You need to see someone else’s life.