Thread: New Computer Goodies

1. Top | #1
    Veteran Member Cheerful Charlie's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts

New Computer Goodies

After many years of use, my trusty Dell keyboard is getting old and very dirty. It has been a good keyboard but it is time to retire this one. So I just ordered a new, shiny keyboard. A Tecware Phantom with mechanical switches and back lit so I can type in the dark.

Wheeeee!

Also 32 Gb of memory so I can use virtual machines with my system. Did I mention my keyboard lights up in the dark? I got a model with no number pad which I rarely use and which just eats up desktop space. And it has LEDS that light up in the dark! Since I spend a large part of my life on a damned keyboard, I am very excited to have a shiny new clicky key, back lit toy keyboard like all the cool gamer kids.

This is almost like Christmas.
    Cheerful Charlie

2. Top | #2
    Super Moderator
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Keyboard heaven is an updated version of the Northgate Omnikey/Ultra. AFIAK none exist.

3. Top | #3
    Veteran Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheerful Charlie View Post
    After many years of use, my trusty Dell keyboard is getting old and very dirty. It has been a good keyboard but it is time to retire this one. So I just ordered a new, shiny keyboard. A Tecware Phantom with mechanical switches and back lit so I can type in the dark.

Wheeeee!

Also 32 Gb of memory so I can use virtual machines with my system. Did I mention my keyboard lights up in the dark? I got a model with no number pad which I rarely use and which just eats up desktop space. And it has LEDS that light up in the dark! Since I spend a large part of my life on a damned keyboard, I am very excited to have a shiny new clicky key, back lit toy keyboard like all the cool gamer kids.

My lit keyboard died a year or so ago. I am so handicapped in low light now... never realized how much I rely on quick glances at the keyboard until recently.

I had an old Gateway 2000 system in the 90's. The keyboard it came with was called "the Anykey". This was before "press any key to continue" was even a popular thing. It literally had an "Any Key" on it. Like, you could actually press the "any key". The keyboard was programmable and I remember using the heck out of the built-in macro capability for entering Doom cheat codes. "No Clipping!"

4. Top | #4
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gun Nut View Post

Wheeeee!

My lit keyboard died a year or so ago. I am so handicapped in low light now... never realized how much I rely on quick glances at the keyboard until recently.

I had an old Gateway 2000 system in the 90's. The keyboard it came with was called "the Anykey". This was before "press any key to continue" was even a popular thing. It literally had an "Any Key" on it. Like, you could actually press the "any key". The keyboard was programmable and I remember using the heck out of the built-in macro capability for entering Doom cheat codes. "No Clipping!"
    IDISIPIP?

*goes online*

Crap! idspispopd

Get off my case, I haven't played it in like decades.

5. Top | #5
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts

Wheeeee!

Oh goodness.. a keyboard without a keypad to me is a airplane with no wing(s). My new (-ish now) laptop has a backlit keyboard. I had never had one before. It is nice in low light conditions. I'm usually pretty good, but it helps. I don't like that it is green... green?! I guess that means it is a gaming thing.

6. Top | #6
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Keyboard didn't work on big machine. Traded out with KB on old big machine and both KBs worked. Probably a problem with one USB port on Big machine.

7. Top | #7
    Veteran Member Cheerful Charlie's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Got my new shiny keyboard. It is very "clicky". Noisy even, but it types very well. I like the colorful light up in the dark LEDs. No number pad means I have more room on the desk. The only bad part is that it has extra software drivers that are Windows only. No love for Linux here! What a nice toy!
    Cheerful Charlie