Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Democratic Climate Forum

1. Top | #21
    Veteran Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Bosch View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Trausti View Post

So if I vote for Trump I can still eat meat, use straws, and make my own decisions without a government busybody? Trump it is.
    You can! You'll also have your taxes increased, your share of the budget deficit increased, and your land taken away potentially for political reasons.
    The Green New Deal certainly hits two of those three and will probably hit the third.

Trump it is.

2. Top | #22
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts

So if I vote for Trump I can still eat meat, use straws, and make my own decisions without a government busybody? Trump it is.
    You can! You'll also have your taxes increased, your share of the budget deficit increased, and your land taken away potentially for political reasons.
    And don't forget about all those bonus tariffs.

3. Top | #23
    Veteran Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bilby View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gun Nut View Post

First poster that I've read here to even mention Hydro.
    Hydro is like where 70% of the power the US consumes comes from!!!! Funny no one mentions it.. funny as is, "everyone is a crook".
    All this talk about oil / gas / wind / solar is a mere 30% of power usage... and can be solved with any and all of the existing solutions. Heck, simply upgrading half of the existing hydroelectric station's "dynamos" to modern generator banks / batteries might even boost production to where an alternative is not even needed.
    But no one says, "why don't we just do slightly better with all the hydro we already have"... The "problem" is 100% economic politics.
    You missed a decimal point - it's about 7%.

According to EIA, this year hydropower is expected to generate 6.9% of US electricity (0.744 billion kWh/day out of a total 11.209 billion kWh/day).

Gas will generate 37.9% (4.248 billion kWh/day)
    Coal 23.7% (2.660 billion kWh/day)
    Nuclear 19.7% (2.207 billion kWh/day)
    Non-hydro Renewables 10.7% (1.198 billion kWh/day)

People don't talk much about hydropower because there's not much of it, and because there's not much opportunity to increase the amount. All the best sites are taken, and building new dams is expensive, environmentally harmful, and requires the flooding of large areas of potentially productive land.

It's also highly dependent on rainfall, and can be severely curtailed by drought.

Those nations that have very low carbon emissions from electricity generation, without nuclear power, are either places with very good conditions for hydroelectricity (eg Norway), or are developing nations with very limited electricity demand.

Only with nuclear power can developed nations get such low emissions without mountainous terrain and high annual rainfall.

A lot of hot air is generated over doing the same with non-hydro renewables; But despite thirty years of concerted effort, and billions of euros, Germany has completely failed to do that - so either Germans are incompetent engineers, or it's not possible to do even for the HUGE sums they have spent.

For what Germany has spent on wind and solar, they could have decarbonised their power grid with nuclear power twice over.

Facts talk; Bullshit walks. France succeeded, Germany failed.

https://www.electricitymap.org

What the flying fuck... Trying to remember if it was John Oliver or someone else I watched that gave me that highly mistaken impression. Thank you for the correction.

4. Top | #24
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by braces_for_impact View Post
    !

Yeah.yeah we know, we know. Get next to Laura. Now she knows how to troll the libs! I feel SO foolish already!
    Is she drinking cow poop? Oh no wait, that's a hamburger.

5. Top | #25
    Veteran Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Higgins View Post

And don't forget about all those bonus tariffs.
    Well the tarrifs are a massive tax increase and a great intrusion into how American companies manage their supply chain.