Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Should Eichmann Have Been Executed?

1. Top | #31
    Searching for reality along the long and winding road
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Don2 (Don1 Revised) View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by skepticalbip View Post
    Bull shit... I thought that I had made it quite clear that I am saying that both sides committed war crimes. They were not necessarily the same crimes or for the same reason but they were war crimes nonetheless.

I never claimed that engaging in the war was was not a better option than allowing Germany and Japan to rule the world. But if the Allies had lost then it would have been the Allies' military leadership that was tried for war crimes rather than those that were.
    No, they'd be executed for supporting the Jews and being race traitors.
    Targeting and killing civilians are war crimes according to the Geneva Convention.

Just one example:
    The only militarily significant target in Tokyo was the Emperor's palace. The palace was on the list of places that were not to be hit. The fire bombing of Tokyo was intended and planned to kill as many civilians as possible... but certainly not the emperor (the ultimate leader in the war). This is a war crime according to the Geneva Convention.

The activities of the White Rose started in the autumn of 1942. This was a time that was particularly critical for the Nazi regime; after initial victories in World War II, the German population became increasingly aware of the losses and damages of the war. In Summer 1942, the German Wehrmacht was preparing a new military campaign in the southern part of the East front to regain the initiative after their earlier defeat close to Moscow. This German offensive was initially very successful, but came to a standstill in the autumn of 1942. In February 1943, the German army had faced a major defeat in the Battle of Stalingrad. During this time, the authors of the pamphlets could neither be discovered, nor could the campaign be stopped by the Nazi authorities. When Hans and Sophie Scholl were discovered and arrested whilst distributing leaflets at Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich,[1] the regime reacted brutally. As the "Volksgerichtshof" was not bound to the law, but led by Nazi ideology, its actions were declared unlawful in post-war Germany. Thus, the execution of the White Rose group members, among many others, is considered as judicial murder.[7]
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Rose

Nazi Germany executed Jews for being Jewish, not because of a WAR.

Nazi Germany executed PACIFISTS as well for opposing them.

This is not about War.
    In that case if that is your position then it should be a trial about a civil criminal act rather than as a war crime. Those conducting the trials saw it differently than you.

2. Top | #32
    Veteran Member
    Calling it a domestic issue is certainly callous. It was not limited to Germany proper. Slave labor was imported to work at Von Braun's rocket factory. Lifespan maybe 6 moths. Von Braun also calmed ignorance and became an American space hero. Atoner Nazi who escaped prosecution. He and his fellow scientists had value to the US military.

The genocide was a crime against humanity. Less well known was the Janise holocaust in China. Chemical and biological weapons testing on Chinese civilians.

A war crime, by the Geneva Conventions, would be the Battani Death March and summary execution of prisoners. Intentional targeting of civilians would be another example. V1 and V2 rocket attacks on British cities.

The British Dam Buster raid that breached dams on the Ruhr River to flood an industrial area targeting the civilian workforce in an industrial area could be considered a war crime.

3. Top | #33
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Bip,

The op question was about what should be done to Eichmann, not if winning sides in a war execute the generals of the other side. Note the word: should.

4. Top | #34
    Veteran Member
    The question encompasses a lot.

I believe anyone who had a hand in organizing and implementing the 'final solution' should have been executed. A paper trail was intentionally minimized. They all knew what was going on.

Early on Hitler's Brown Shirts were beating and killing Jews. The Warsaw ghetto. A long list other than the death camps.

Geobles and wife committed suicide and killed their children for a reason, he knew it would come to light.

I visited the Missouri when it was tied up in Bremerton Wa. There was a picture of the surrender ceremony and audio was playing.

I said to my friend it was remarkable that the Americans especially MacArthur mainlined composure. His friend Wainwright who survived Battani was there. Senior staff in the Pacific lost friends and family.

My friend replied that it was the way they wanted to be remembered in history. Not as vengeful conquerors.

It was the same in Europe. A court of law and due process prevailed over summary executions.

Many who should have been executed were not.

Eichmann should have been executed, he ran for a reason.

So, end of discussion?

5. Top | #35
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Yes, of course Eichmann should have been killed. I would have just taken the Russian approach and simply summarily executed Nazis. Maybe not the rank-and-file Wehrmacht, but all SS for sure, and definitely the leaders.