Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Right-wing cable news network files $10 million defamation lawsuit against Rachel Maddow

1. Top | #21
    Veteran Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Deepak View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Trausti View Post
    Wut? You can sue Maddow directly for slander. The main reason you sue the employer is for the bigger pockets.
    This - reporters don't have any sort of immunity that would shield them from a lawsuit.

That said, this would be a slam dunk win for Maddow - they were reporting Russian propaganda about the Syrian chemical attacks, and Rouz is paid by the Russian government. The quote again (all caps from the link):

Quote Originally Posted by Maddow
    “REALLY LITERALLY IS PAID RUSSIAN PROPAGANDA.”

“THEIR ON-AIR U.S. POLITICS REPORTER IS PAID BY THE RUSSIAN GOVERNMENT TO PRODUCE PROPAGANDA FOR THAT GOVERNMENT.”
    For OANN to win they'd have to make the case that she meant they were exclusively Russian propaganda, which is a pretty tortured reading of her statement. The weakness of their case is evident in the complaint - where they're stating that OANN is owned by Americans, and that Rouz isn't an employee of Sputnik, but merely a freelancer. But she never stated they were owned by Russians or that Rouz was an employee of Sputnik.
    no, reporters do not have any "special" protections of that sort that I know of... she is an employee doing her job, like everyone else. As long as her employer cannot substantiate that she was operating with malice, complete irresponsibility, or some other drastic departure from her expected work behavior that could be called "gross misconduct" from the DoL, then her "protection" is her status as an "employee". The company is liable for their employee's actions unless they can claim she went totally rouge.

2. Top | #22
    Loony Running The Asylum ZiprHead's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gun Nut View Post

This - reporters don't have any sort of immunity that would shield them from a lawsuit.

That said, this would be a slam dunk win for Maddow - they were reporting Russian propaganda about the Syrian chemical attacks, and Rouz is paid by the Russian government. The quote again (all caps from the link):

For OANN to win they'd have to make the case that she meant they were exclusively Russian propaganda, which is a pretty tortured reading of her statement. The weakness of their case is evident in the complaint - where they're stating that OANN is owned by Americans, and that Rouz isn't an employee of Sputnik, but merely a freelancer. But she never stated they were owned by Russians or that Rouz was an employee of Sputnik.
    no, reporters do not have any "special" protections of that sort that I know of... she is an employee doing her job, like everyone else. As long as her employer cannot substantiate that she was operating with malice, complete irresponsibility, or some other drastic departure from her expected work behavior that could be called "gross misconduct" from the DoL, then her "protection" is her status as an "employee". The company is liable for their employee's actions unless they can claim she went totally rouge.
    As Randi Rhodes, who has been sued in a similar manner a couple times, says "The truth is your defense". Nothing RM said is untrue. OANN will lose.
    ITMFA

When conservatives realize they cannot win democratically, they will not abandon conservatism. They will abandon democracy.

You submit to tyranny when you renounce truth. - Timothy Snyder

3. Top | #23
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Is there a law which allows to discriminate against government propaganda? I understand RT is available in US for people wishing to watch it. Comcast refusing to distribute some channel because their journalist has links to RT seems kinda illegal to me.

4. Top | #24
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ZiprHead View Post
    Nothing RM said is untrue. OANN will lose.
    Well, Alfa Bank conspiracy was untrue

5. Top | #25
    Loony Running The Asylum ZiprHead's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by barbos View Post
    Opinions are like assholes...
    ITMFA

When conservatives realize they cannot win democratically, they will not abandon conservatism. They will abandon democracy.

You submit to tyranny when you renounce truth. - Timothy Snyder

6. Top | #26
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by barbos View Post
    Opinions are like assholes...
    Well, her opinion was untrue.

7. Top | #27
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by laughing dog View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolly_Penguin View Post
    It would probably help if you read the article.
    Probably. But I don't care enough to be quite honest.
    Sure, why bother to actual know what you are talking about.
    It never stopped you.

8. Top | #28
    Archived
    Total Posts
    The Maddow Effect in action

9. Top | #29
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Harvestdancer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by laughing dog View Post
    Sure, why bother to actual know what you are talking about.
    It never stopped you.
    Nor you, as your post demonstrates.

10. Top | #30
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gun Nut View Post

I'm sorry, but that's not correct. Unless you have some case law I'm unaware of I will disagree. In instances where a person is acting as an agent of their employer and doing what they are directed to do by an employer, or in the case of state employees being afforded immunity, you are incorrect. I've never heard of a reporter being immune from a defamation lawsuit as an agent of their employer when they make a statement like Maddow did.

She's right, and she will win the case - by my estimation, but your legal interpretation is not correct.

And Maddow doesn't wear a lot of makeup, so I doubt she went rouge