Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Right-wing cable news network files $10 million defamation lawsuit against Rachel Maddow

1. Top | #11
    Loony Running The Asylum ZiprHead's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by repoman View Post
    That is almost a completely specific assertion by Maddow. Is there context that would show wich exact reporter she was referring to?

It may be true or totally not. If not true and if no evidence would have suggested it then that is malpractuce by Maddow.

The US has a bunch of crazy ideologues like the OANN owner who wanted to buy the guardianship of Terry Schiavo, it does not need everything to be Russian funded.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolly_Penguin View Post
    Hopefully Maddow has something to back up this claim. If not, then yes, it is slanderous and it is right to sue her for it.
    It would probably help if you read the article.
    ITMFA

When conservatives realize they cannot win democratically, they will not abandon conservatism. They will abandon democracy.

You submit to tyranny when you renounce truth. - Timothy Snyder

2. Top | #12
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ZiprHead View Post
    Probably. But I don't care enough to be quite honest.

3. Top | #13
    Veteran Member
    It could be questionable if she was "just doing her job". Was she reading something approved and directed to her by the network (then I agree). Or did she just make this statement striking out on her own? If the latter, I would hold her accountable and don't think she should be able to hide behind the network.
    once the camera goes on in the studio, she is "on the job".... (and I imagine WAY before then as well).
    The analogy that is used in Law School regarding employer versus employee liability is that of a pizza delivery guy that gets into a car accident on the way to delivering pizza with the company van, versus the delivery guy that "borrows" the company vehicle after hours and drives up a telephone pole.

For Maddow to be liable for anything she says on her show, it would take the theft of a TV camera and the hijacking of the studio for it to be a matter of personal liability.

edited to add: ... unless the FCC has some personal liability laws for people on mainstream media that I am unaware of... possible. There are personal liability laws that trump other protections in various industries.

4. Top | #14
    Veteran Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheerful Charlie View Post
    Hopefully Maddow has something to back up this claim. If not, then yes, it is slanderous and it is right to sue her for it.
    Maddow seems to have very good researchers and fact checkers for her show. I suspect she didn't just have a brain fart in this regard and has facts to back up her assertions. If she was baiting them and it was a trap for OANN it will be a problematic lawsuit for OANN.

I hope so anyway.
    Yes... the idea that she is baiting them into a Discovery is interesting... totally possible. Win win here for her side... if they drop it, she's right... if they pursue it, they risk her being proven right and action taken against them.

5. Top | #15
    Loony Running The Asylum ZiprHead's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Fine, so continue to ask stupid questions that were answered on the article.

I bet you love the sound of your own voice.
    ITMFA

When conservatives realize they cannot win democratically, they will not abandon conservatism. They will abandon democracy.

You submit to tyranny when you renounce truth. - Timothy Snyder

6. Top | #16
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Fine, so continue to ask stupid questions that were answered on the article.

I bet you love the sound of your own voice.
    You shouldn't belittle. Being pretentious takes a lot of effort that could otherwise be used to read articles.

7. Top | #17
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Sure, why bother to actual know what you are talking about.

8. Top | #18
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gun Nut View Post
    It could be questionable if she was "just doing her job". Was she reading something approved and directed to her by the network (then I agree). Or did she just make this statement striking out on her own? If the latter, I would hold her accountable and don't think she should be able to hide behind the network.
    once the camera goes on in the studio, she is "on the job".... (and I imagine WAY before then as well).
    The analogy that is used in Law School regarding employer versus employee liability is that of a pizza delivery guy that gets into a car accident on the way to delivering pizza with the company van, versus the delivery guy that "borrows" the company vehicle after hours and drives up a telephone pole.

For Maddow to be liable for anything she says on her show, it would take the theft of a TV camera and the hijacking of the studio for it to be a matter of personal liability.

edited to add: ... unless the FCC has some personal liability laws for people on mainstream media that I am unaware of... possible. There are personal liability laws that trump other protections in various industries.
    Wut? You can sue Maddow directly for slander. The main reason you sue the employer is for the bigger pockets.

9. Top | #19
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trausti View Post
    Wut? You can sue Maddow directly for slander. The main reason you sue the employer is for the bigger pockets.
    This - reporters don't have any sort of immunity that would shield them from a lawsuit.

That said, this would be a slam dunk win for Maddow - they were reporting Russian propaganda about the Syrian chemical attacks, and Rouz is paid by the Russian government. The quote again (all caps from the link):

Quote Originally Posted by Maddow
    “REALLY LITERALLY IS PAID RUSSIAN PROPAGANDA.”

“THEIR ON-AIR U.S. POLITICS REPORTER IS PAID BY THE RUSSIAN GOVERNMENT TO PRODUCE PROPAGANDA FOR THAT GOVERNMENT.”
    For OANN to win they'd have to make the case that she meant they were exclusively Russian propaganda, which is a pretty tortured reading of her statement. The weakness of their case is evident in the complaint - where they're stating that OANN is owned by Americans, and that Rouz isn't an employee of Sputnik, but merely a freelancer. But she never stated they were owned by Russians or that Rouz was an employee of Sputnik.

10. Top | #20
    Veteran Member Cheerful Charlie's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Basically she pointed out that a OANN reporter had written for RT, a Russian outfit. Which said writer admitted. (1300 articles)
    Where it gets messy is that this writer claims to have not been hired by Russians, but to have been a free lancer.
    Cheerful Charlie