Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Windows 7... how not to get rid of it?

1. Top | #11
    Veteran Member Cheerful Charlie's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Firewall. You can set up a firewall to not allow connection to the net by vulnerable machines, while allowing others to connect. I know little about Windows firewalls so you will have to brush up your Windows 10 firewall kung fu to do this. I can set up Linux to allow a machine, say a Windows 7 machine to be accessible by only a known machine which can be handy but don't know how to do that with Windows. That means no access from the net is possible for the Windows 7 machine that is not a privileged machine.
    Cheerful Charlie

2. Top | #12
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I've always considered upgrading the OP on a computer to be the same as swapping out a larger engine in a car. There might be some advantages, but there's always something that doesn't fit and it's up to you to make it work.

Back in the 90s, I got tired of having four computers with four successive operating systems. I wanted every machine to open every file and run the same program. When XP came out, I bought four computers. The last time I bought computers, it was Windows 8. That four were never upgraded to Windows 10, because I never set a machine to automatic upgrades. The 8 machines are working fine, but I'm sure they will be replaced in a year or two. By that time, Windows 10 will be a ghost.

3. Top | #13
    Super Moderator
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ZiprHead View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel View Post

Depends on the systems, there's a very good chance it works these days.
    Hmmm. Did not know that.
    The thing is an awful lot of devices these days will figure out they have been connected wrong and work anyway. More switches than NICs but plenty of NICs also support it.

What really shocked me was ~15 years ago, an electrician got their grubby paws on a network wire--instead of using a switch they simply wired it as if it was electrical. Amazingly, it sort-of worked. It had a high error rate (no traffic cop avoiding collisions) but the data got through.

4. Top | #14
    Super Moderator
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Higgins View Post
    So if the router is blocking the two devices from the Internet, such as by using the MAC address... if something comes probing my router and gets through, it can't see the two laptops?

If you have only two devices you want to talk to each other simply plug in an ethernet cable. They'll both get 169. addresses but it will work. (That's why they pick those 169 addresses when they can't see a network!)

If you have more than two you'll need a switch. An old router likely will suffice for the purpose. Plug each machine into it. Again, 169 addresses but it should work.

Note that a sophisticated router can be configured to deny those MAC addresses access to the internet.

This is about keeping two Win 7 computers on a network so they can interface with other devices (tvs and Win 10 computer), but keep the Win 7 computers from having exposure to Internet.
    As others have said, firewall. If you really want a suspenders-and-belt approach drop a second NIC in the machine that will be able to access the internet, the local traffic goes through that, the other machines have no physical connection to the internet.