Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 79

Thread: What will be some new jobs of the future?

  1. Top | #11
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    West Coast
    Posts
    1,793
    Archived
    7,585
    Total Posts
    9,378
    Rep Power
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by skepticalbip View Post
    If we take the predictions of the doom-cryers seriously then subsistence farming will be the largest and most popular job of the future.
    And blacksmiths. Carpenters, maybe, too.

  2. Top | #12
    Contributor
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    seattle
    Posts
    6,046
    Rep Power
    17
    There are robotic machines that put up drywall.

  3. Top | #13
    Mazzie Daius fromderinside's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Oregon's westernmost
    Posts
    12,948
    Archived
    18,213
    Total Posts
    31,161
    Rep Power
    58
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_bank View Post

    Over the last 30 years the skill required in electrical engineering has slowly diminished. It many cases degraded to the what would be a technician in the past.
    Probably a symptom of trades where books serve as reference for acceptable solutions.

    Science on the other hand has gone to teaming for large and important problems parcelling out bits of uncertainty among many expecting an agreed upon results that work thereby keeping human controlled use of computing.

    Unless someone has means to access every problem this approach should be good for as longs as humans exist.

    Although if and when problems are resolvable by size and automation I see the possibility that even this avenue will begin to decrease human involvement.

    MY view is we need another means for getting humans to feel they are participating in society for their and it's betterment than through work and commerce. Maybe handing out credits for humans in a society or endeavor in proportion to computer betterment of life by some formula related to association of particular human to computer which produces betterment. Symbiotic relations seem important for humans as do feelings of worth.
    Last edited by fromderinside; 09-15-2019 at 06:25 AM.

  4. Top | #14
    Sapere aude Politesse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Chochenyo Territory, US
    Posts
    4,112
    Rep Power
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowy Man View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by skepticalbip View Post
    If we take the predictions of the doom-cryers seriously then subsistence farming will be the largest and most popular job of the future.
    And blacksmiths. Carpenters, maybe, too.
    In the post-tree ecology? What will they carpent?

  5. Top | #15
    Intergalactic Villainess Angry Floof's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Lancre
    Posts
    10,113
    Archived
    14,435
    Total Posts
    24,548
    Rep Power
    64
    Tending the yeast vats.
    The Authoritarians

    GOP and Trump supporters will not be able to say they didn't know. Vote in numbers too big to manipulate.

  6. Top | #16
    Veteran Member Lumpenproletariat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    ^ Why don't I get any pretty jewels? Waaaaa!
    Posts
    1,728
    Rep Power
    24

    Genuine "job creation"

    definition of "job": A need not yet met, which would benefit people if someone would do it.


    Here is a "job" which we need someone to do, and which most educated people can do, and which anyone can start doing immediately, and which modern technology makes possible for anyone wanting to do it.

    Audiobook reader.

    There are billions of books which have not yet been recorded and made available to society.

    Anyone can meet this need (i.e., a small part of it) by doing the recording, of whatever book or text they think should be recorded, and posting it on YouTube, or wherever -- any place which allows audio recordings to be posted.

    Obviously this doesn't answer how they'd be compensated for their trouble. It would have to be voluntary, at least at first. But a real "job" is anything to do which benefits society, regardless of the compensation.

    A real "job" is not the payment to the one doing the job, but the work or contribution or effort done to provide the benefit to society.

    Perhaps there is a way to compensate readers, but even if there is not, and it would be voluntary, the point is that there is a huge need, for the audio readings to be made available to society, and the means to do it is very easy, universally accessible, with little need for investment by anyone choosing to undertake to offer their contribution.

    Those who have talent and work hard to produce a good recording would have a chance to get compensated, by someone, publishers, who would want recordings done. All readers have to do is start to work on their recording, without needing any degree or credential or college classes as a prerequisite. Just an interest, some ability, and a desire to contribute to society ("change the world" -- "make a difference" etc.).

  7. Top | #17
    the baby-eater
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Straya
    Posts
    4,069
    Archived
    1,750
    Total Posts
    5,819
    Rep Power
    40
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumpenproletariat View Post
    Audiobook reader.

    There are billions of books which have not yet been recorded and made available to society.

    Anyone can meet this need (i.e., a small part of it) by doing the recording, of whatever book or text they think should be recorded, and posting it on YouTube, or wherever -- any place which allows audio recordings to be posted.

    Obviously this doesn't answer how they'd be compensated for their trouble. It would have to be voluntary, at least at first. But a real "job" is anything to do which benefits society, regardless of the compensation.

    A real "job" is not the payment to the one doing the job, but the work or contribution or effort done to provide the benefit to society.

    Perhaps there is a way to compensate readers, but even if there is not, and it would be voluntary, the point is that there is a huge need, for the audio readings to be made available to society, and the means to do it is very easy, universally accessible, with little need for investment by anyone choosing to undertake to offer their contribution.

    Those who have talent and work hard to produce a good recording would have a chance to get compensated, by someone, publishers, who would want recordings done. All readers have to do is start to work on their recording, without needing any degree or credential or college classes as a prerequisite. Just an interest, some ability, and a desire to contribute to society ("change the world" -- "make a difference" etc.).
    How many have you recorded so far? How much did you spend on recording equipment?

  8. Top | #18
    Contributor
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    seattle
    Posts
    6,046
    Rep Power
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by fromderinside View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_bank View Post

    Over the last 30 years the skill required in electrical engineering has slowly diminished. It many cases degraded to the what would be a technician in the past.
    Probably a symptom of trades where books serve as reference for acceptable solutions.

    Science on the other hand has gone to teaming for large and important problems parcelling out bits of uncertainty among many expecting an agreed upon results that work thereby keeping human controlled use of computing.

    Unless someone has means to access every problem this approach should be good for as longs as humans exist.

    Although if and when problems are resolvable by size and automation I see the possibility that even this avenue will begin to decrease human involvement.

    MY view is we need another means for getting humans to feel they are participating in society for their and it's betterment than through work and commerce. Maybe handing out credits for humans in a society or endeavor in proportion to computer betterment of life by some formula related to association of particular human to computer which produces betterment. Symbiotic relations seem important for humans as do feelings of worth.
    CAD software and embedder AI. Synthesis tools in digital systems take general definitions and derive an optimal solution. Drasticaly reduces the amount of skill and experience.

    Test engineering used to require skill and experience. Test systems with simplified test script tools have generaly redued test engineering to a technician level.

    Mechanical and electrical simulation tools have reduced skill requirement's for design.

    And so on.

  9. Top | #19
    Veteran Member Lumpenproletariat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    ^ Why don't I get any pretty jewels? Waaaaa!
    Posts
    1,728
    Rep Power
    24
    Live Voice Call-Taker/Responder


    It may be that many callers seeking assistance can get it with an automated system with no live voice on the other end.

    But too often the computerized system is unable to handle an individual case.

    Maybe it's appropriate for the caller to go through the automatic system for a time, to make sure, before giving up. A 2nd or 3rd try might be necessary. But at some point there has to be a live voice alternative which can take the complaint or the call for help.

    What is needed is a new recruitment of call-takers -- a large number of them -- to deal with all the callers who can't get through the programmed steps putting obstacles in their way.

    There needs to be a large new crop of call-takers who can handle callers who are fighting their way through the automated calling system.

    Whether it's commercial or government, there seems to be a pattern among those running the system to screen out those who don't know the tricks on how to get through the obstacles. Knowing these tricks is becoming like a skill requirement without which one is excluded from participating in the system.

    Sometimes these tricks are like arbitrary glitches, or flukes, not having any logic to them, but just reflecting some system feature adopted somewhere by accident. And the system creators keep adding one onto another, into a system of unnecessary redundancies, like forcing callers to adopt more and more passwords, or joining more and more ID categories, rather than using a simple method of communicating the needed information.

    Sometimes just plain sentences, explaining what's needed, communicates it better than the machine language of the digits and clicks and codes and menus.

    Eventually the automated system itself becomes so massive that troubleshooting it becomes the problem rather than addressing the need of the help-seeker. At a certain point it's less costly to just hire additional live-voice human responders using ordinary human language to communicate rather than the digital inputs again and again, which fail beyond a certain extended process period as the required steps keep increasing and each new one increases the risk of error and communication breakdown.

    Since the human-voice-language communication can also break down, the new call-taker live voice responders need to be trained in recognizing the 2 different kinds of miscommunication, and being prepared to identify them as they occur, and fixing this in individual cases. So in some cases they would direct the caller back into the appropriate automated process.

    Perhaps the training of the new responders would be more extensive than a simple one-day quickee course. And OJT could be a major part of the training for this kind of work, so that entry into this field could be easy for someone of little or no higher education, and the new operator could advance to higher levels of performance.

  10. Top | #20
    Elder Contributor DBT's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    ɹǝpunuʍop puɐן
    Posts
    10,229
    Archived
    17,906
    Total Posts
    28,135
    Rep Power
    75
    Given a choice, how many callers would opt for an automated voice service over speaking to an operator?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •